THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vince B

is one Smokin' Farker
I would first off like to say thank you for the help from the members from this site. Yesterday was the first time I posted here and the response was awesome. You guys have a great forum and thank you for letting me be apart of it.

Yesterday I started a thread here with some questions on my Standing rib roast and Turkey cook for T-Day. Here is the link. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73275 Needless to say before I could even setup my user profile and Sig you guys were on it! Giving advise to the newb that just registered like a week ago! Thanks for all that posted and especially Ron who even offered to lend me an additional wsm cooker to make my families meal! I'm speechless!:biggrin:

Now time for the update. I basically followed the guidelines that I had posted in the other thread. It was a windy cold day here in the windy city and to say the least I started out fighting to get a full chimney of K started battling the wind. After about 30 minutes it was going pretty good. I had loaded my wsm with one layer of K followed by some lump mixed with some apple, cherry and Jack Daniels oak chips. Then the full chimney of lit K went on top. Assembled the cooker and let it come up to temp. It took about 30 minutes to get to 325* with the vents wide open.

I knew that I wanted my temps over 350* before putting the turkey and the rib roast on because the temps would drop with the two cuts on there. For the life of me 325* was all I could get. I opened the side door and got the fire roaring up to 375*. I knew I was good. I guess I probably should have not assembled the cooker as soon as I did. Oh well we just ate a bit later than I had planed.

The whole cook from the time I put the cuts on took less than three hours. I did pull the bird first for it's rest and then the rib roast about 15 minutes later. This actually worked well because I was able to carve the bird first while the roast was finishing cooling.

Here are some pic's from the cook. The first shot here is of the 7.25 rib roast on a two hour rest before going on the smoker. I did cut the bones away and retie them and then rubbed with the herb paste. This thing smelled amazing before even cooking it!
DSCF0001-8.jpg

The bird was brined and then let to rest in the frig for 12 hours in hope to get a crispy skin. Then right before going on the wsm I brushed with some vegetable oil and lightly sprinkled with some pepper to add a bit of flavor to the skin.
DSCF0015-7.jpg

In less than three hours I pulled the bird here is pick of it coming off the smoker.
DSCF0021-6.jpg

Fifteen minutes later it was time to pull the roast. Here is quick shot before tenting it in foil for 30 minutes.
DSCF0016-7.jpg

Here are a shot of the bird plated ready to be served.
DSCF0023-6.jpg

Then a picture of the rib roast plated ready to be served.
DSCF0025-5.jpg

A quick shot of the top of the stove with all sides warmed up.
DSCF0026-5.jpg

As usual I made enough to feed more mouths than what I had at the house for the holiday. However everyone raved on how good the food was off the smoker and that the turkey was even better than last years deep fried bird! I honestly have never made a more juicy bird and with 8 of us here the left overs are at a minimum this year. Good or bad I don't know but I'm guessing I did a good job.

Thanks for sharing my experience and for the advise. I always get nervous when doing this stuff and some day I'll learn to just relax and go with the flow. Thanks again and I'll be around. Vince B

Everything looks really great! Great presentation and amazing colour on that bird. Roast looks fabulous as well......Like said...it ALL looks great. Too close to lunch to be looking at that!!!

Wayne

nice pics Vince..looks great

btw whereabouts in Bloomingdale are you? Im in the next town over in Roselle

Good looking eats there Vince! Yet another good cook from Illinois. You're in good company.:cool:
Trying to be another good cook from Illinois! I do alright or at least that is what they tell me as to not hurt my feelings! TQ
nice pics Vince..looks great

btw whereabouts in Bloomingdale are you? Im in the next town over in Roselle
I'm really close to Winnebago school. On the weekends if your in the area you will smell the smoke!TQ
That if a fine looking spread there.
TQ
You don't cook like a newb!
I guess I meant to say Neb here on this site! Believe it or not I found this site through a performance car site that I hang out on. The cooking sections on other forums are my favorite place to hang out!
Everything looks really great! Great presentation and amazing colour on that bird. Roast looks fabulous as well......Like said...it ALL looks great. Too close to lunch to be looking at that!!!

Wayne
TQ Yes I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Time for an early morning turkey sandwich.
That roast looks beautiful. I would like to have had a few pieces of that.
TQ It was very good. Being that it was my first time smoking one on the wsm I was a bit nervous. It turned out better than I thought!
Very nice looking foods right there!
TQ
Beautifully done! I'll bet you're a convert now -- after we did our first brined turkey outdoors, I swore I'd never, ever put one in the oven again. And I'll bet nobody at your gathering will ever ask for an oven turkey again, either!
TQ I said that the first time I deep fried one and now with the wsm smoker I'm not sure if the fryer will get used much anymore!
Very nice looking foods right there!
TQ
Mighty Fine Spread you had going...Good Job!!!
TQ I really kept the sides pretty simple so that the meats would stand out! My wife and son were a big help in that department this year. All I had to do is pick everything up at the store, brine the bird, prepare the roast and then smoke them. Of course I did the honors of carving and working the camera. I had a lot of fun doing it. When dinner was done everyone kept telling me how good it was. It was well worth it!
Very nice! I'm glad that it all worked out!

Have you stopped by Cattle Call to introduce yourself?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
I will do it now! Thanks again Ron. Vince B

Back