THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If that is a golf ball basket used as a charcoal basket I hate you forever! Dammit. I spent I don't know how much time and money designing mine. You make me sad....

;(

Sure it will burn 230 for 20-22 hours but when am I ever gonna use that?

That's a wire egg basket, if I'm not mistaken.

Are you talking about my (Pappy's) charcoal basket?
It is made with 3/8 rebar around the top & 1/4" pecil rod for the side bars. Used weber charcoal grate on the bottom.
Cost about $5 to make it.

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

Last edited:
OK here goes ...

Trouble maintaining temps after say 5 hours.

What advantage is a diffuser?
Which is better, a pizza pan, a clay pan, a water pan?
Is the charcoal grate better than the #9 X 3/4 expanded for the basket bottom?
15" X 10" basket, too big?

Thanks

typically, with my drumpit, around the five hour mark I close the intakes down to help prevent ash flying and gently kick the drumpit to knock down
the accumulated ash from the lit charcoal, wait a few minutes for
the ash to settle, then open the air intake and keep on keeping on...:thumb:

OK here goes ...

Trouble maintaining temps after say 5 hours.

What advantage is a diffuser?
Which is better, a pizza pan, a clay pan, a water pan?
Is the charcoal grate better than the #9 X 3/4 expanded for the basket bottom?
15" X 10" basket, too big?

Thanks

OK , Yesterday I took apart the UDS to empty the charcoal and I believe I have stumbled onto the problem. It appears the charcoal only burned on one side of the basket and not an overall burn. I started the charcoal using the minion method coffee can in the center. Ash pan is a cheap grill bottom as per Norco but may be blocking some air. I'm going to drill a series of 1" holes around the pan. Second, Does the Weber grate do a better job of dispersing ash than the expanded metal?

BTW I did the kick the barrel maneuver also.:thumb:

Thanks again

If an airflow problem exists, rotate the basket 180 half way through the burn time and see if the burn pattern changes...

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

OK guys humor me on this post if you will.

Trying to fix a perceived airflow problem on my UDS that was built by Norco's recommended plans back at the first of the thread.

1) I am using a cheap grill pan as an ash pan, I felt the lip on the pan restricted air to the basket so I drilled 24 1" holes around the lip of the pan...this should help air movement under the basket.

2) I had used 3/4 conduit as risers on two of the 3/4 inlets. Got to scratching my bald head and thought that conduit is measured outside and pipe is measured inside so I replaced the risers with 3/4 X 18" black pipe thus increasing the intake air flow. Ball valve (brass) on each riser.

3) Fired up the smoker and ran an experiment on lids. The original has 8 1/2 holes around the perimeter about 2" in. Changed lid out to one that had a 2" bung hole and installed a 2" X 18" pipe riser or stack and appears to have better flow..

4) I am using a 12" turkey thermometer only and reading pit temps by that. Norco's plan uses a thermometer that has a 3" probe and I have read that there could be a 50 degree difference from outside to center ... is it possible that I'm cooking too low if the 3" thermometer (that I don't have) is reading 225* and the center is 50* hotter thus cooking more quicker. (Example outside at 225* as recommended thus the inside at 150* thus too low ???)

Please excuse the micro management of this simple appliance but I was totally not impressed with the brisket that I did last week and trying to get a handle on my problem (If I have one).

Thanks in advance

Jim

1) I ditched the cheap grill and went to a pizza pan. Holes should work as well
2) Risers on the outside of the grill will reduce airflow. I don't use them.
3) I use the bung hole with a stack. No issues on low and slow, will cause a hot spot on a hot run.
4) ?

My biggest problem was damp charcoal. I fear a water bath would cause same issues. Lots of energy is used to evaporate water. Hard to get temp up when you are evaporating water. Once water is gone, you get a spike/runaway. I could tell the difference from a fresh bag of lump to one that was oppened and left in my garage for a couple weeks.

I put a Guru on and never looked back.

JC. thanks for the answers

Let me try to clarify 4.

I had read that there was a 50 degree difference in from the center of the grill to the outside of the grill. If all readings are done from the outside (225*) that would mean the center would be then 275*. OK?

I had smoked a brisket @ close to 225* on the center of the grill and probably didn't cook it long enough but it was @ 195* when I pulled it. The point was to me a little rubbery.

My question is "Where are most reading temps from, center or outside?"

My test burn last night ran about 14 hours with a 90% charcoal burn on about 7 lbs of charcoal, a lot better.

Thanks again
Jim

I measure from the center with a 12 inch turkey fryer thermo just below the bottom grate. Works great and matches up with my ique very well.

Help a rookie

My brain hurts and my eyes are bleeding from all the info in this thread, but I am excited to build my first UDS.

I hope to do my first burn out of the drum this weekend.

Questions from a Brethren rookie:

1. My drum has paint and rust on the inside and outside.
a. Is the rust a problem? Will the burn out take care of it?
2. How many burns should I do?
3. Do you suggest pre-drilling my air intakes at the bottom of the drum before burning?

Thank you!

IMG_20130115_110723.jpg

Well, step one is, buy a barrel. I have now done that. Question. If I am going with the lid and ring instead of Webber lid. Should i stay with one rack or is two ok?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Those pics of pappy's basket made me make another one.
Daggum it. Tapatalk won't upload pics.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

You want to drill your intakes for sure before the burn, otherwise it won't get enough airflow to get really hot especially toward the bottom.

New Mods on latest drum

2 hr delay from school...time to post my newest TrashCan.
stack.jpg
Threaded a pipe into the stock bung for a stack--only use with my dryer-vent mod.
dolly.jpg
Wanted wheels but did not want to drill into the UDS bottom so I made a redneck drum dolly with some dumpster dived wheels and an old UDS lid that was scrap. Works great!
thermo.jpg
Always use a cheapo turkey/candy fryer thermo. Picked up a fitting from the Depot so it slides in perfectly and gives me temp at the center.
ique.jpg
Redneck waterproofing for my Ique 110. Good enough hanging under a table or tarp!
uds.jpg
Finished product on the dolly and with my Anti-weather dryer vent mod! 2 racks inside--works like a champ. It's amazing what you can do on the cheap, with your own hands + a little creativity and knowledge from this thread!

Well i finaly made it too the end after 3 weeks,699 pages,10476 post and i did it without skipping a single page.. There is a ton of info and some great ideas on here now to start getting things together for my build will try and post some pics as i go

Well i finaly made it too the end after 3 weeks,699 pages,10476 post and i did it without skipping a single page.. There is a ton of info and some great ideas on here now to start getting things together for my build will try and post some pics as i go

If I had an extra trophy it would be yours. I would never have done that. My hats off to you. But seriously you only only have to look at a page or two to figure out how to make a K.I.S.S. drum

honestly my build was already planed before i ever started reading this thread i did it just to do it i deff learned a thing or two and got a few good ideas along the way so it was worth it. dont think i would do it again tho lol

Sorry on the late replies .. can't search so hard time finding my post :)

Just added PID control to my UDS. I already had one for my CharGriller, that I use for Sous Vide too .. I wanted a 12volt one so I built this guy.

Documented my UDS build here .. thanks again to all who contributed in this thread!
http://www.ice8420.com/blog/2013/01/ugly-drum-smoker-uds-build/

Sethga, Did you powder coat your drum yourself, or did you have someone do it for you?
I have been looking into building my own oven for powder coating. However I am interested in what it would cost to have it done.

I had it powdercoated. I have a friend that has a powdercoating business - Precision Powdercoating in South Jersey (Philly area). GOod luck finding an oven that will fit a UDS

Back