THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balony

Got Wood.
I searched the forum with no results....Has anyone tried cutting an inch or so off the top of the bottom Weber kettle to weld into the top of a barrel? I thought that would make a nice lip for the Weber lid to set on.

If it has been done do i need to weld all the way around the barrel or just tack it in 6-8 spots around the barrel ?:help:

I call it the Weber Flange Mod.

I suppose you can weld it to the drum if you wanted, but I make mine removable to use the drum lid for Turbo cooking or rotisserie rings.

Here it is on a closed drum to use a kettle lid. Leave @ 1/8" on your cut inside the rib and it will fit very tight with no need to weld-and it will keep the greasy buildup inside the drum and not all over the sides. (Don't ask how I know this!)

100_2083.jpg

100_2085.jpg

With an open drum for using either lid-Mostly for extra height, like Beer can chickens or Leg & Wing racks.

100_1640.jpg

100_1639.jpg

100_1638.jpg

100_1644.jpg

Works well with Rotisserie rings.

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

Join the Brethren site and you get expanded Search options-just one more reason to hang out here!

Balony.....................................;}-

Yes, try your lid on the barrel,mine is a fraction off fitting ; a bit of 'ball peening' and the thing will fit perfectly. No welds to do,no extra holes in your barrel:idea:.
And look in the neighborhood on trash day and you'll probably find some grates to use in it ,fire ring base AND the cooking grates.:clap2:. The expanded metal used around the bottom of some Fire Pits , makes a great char-wood basket.
hope this hepls and,

Thanks for all the replies :) you guys rock

Oldschoolbbq.. Yes i have tried and it isnt close, thanks

I bought a second weber grill off craiglist yesterday to sacrifice to the UDS gods.... it was a nice looking weber for 30bucks with a like new hinged grate in it.

I will be doing the Weber Flange Mod thanks guys.. ill post pics shortly

Back