UDS Water Pan

I cut down the pipe so wok is 2 or so inches below bottom grate. In this pic I had not finished fire basket and stand offs. Can make one up for your UDS Rob because I made yours same length as Stefs. Let me know.
No thanks Pat but I appreciate it. The lure of the UDS for me was not having to use a water pan which was one of the reasons I sold the BWS Party. IMO they are too much of a PITA in general. The food I did last wknd on my first cook was more than moist enough and with the consistent temps I got made me realize there was no need for a heat sink/water pan. I had asked the question about the placement of the pan to see where ssbbqguy was actually putting his?

HB-BBQ, sorry I haven't answered your question about pan placement. Mine are supported by the two rows of firebricks,placed one tall,one sideways, metal grate and then plate or pan. This makes the lower rack about inch above the pan or around five inches above plate. That means the lower rack runs right at twenty-five degrees cooler, which I like.Pans use more fuel, but I like the product better, Steve.

Meat - The smoke I'm talking about is from rendering, dripping and vaporizing fat -- not wood. My fire is nice and clean with no smoke until the pork starts giving up the fat big time toward the end. Of course, I had 18.5 lbs of butts and a 12 lb brisket (raw/trimmed weights) in one drum. That is A LOT of fat.

John

John, sorry for responding so long. If the smoke is from the drippings rendering....GOLDEN FLAVOR!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why you do not want a water pan to rob the open campfire flavor. Joihn, that is what the UDS does for me.
The smoke from rendering fat is why the UDS is so great for flavor. Try different ways the brethren here suggest and figure out what you like best. Good luck brother and keep us posted on what works and you and your family like.

Thanks, Meat. The smoke is definitely from rendering fat, and the scores were indeed golden. It's just a little unsettling to see that much smoke.

I am finishing some country-style pork ribs on PDS (Patio Drum Smoker) #2 as I type this, and they've got a ton of that vaporized golden flavor on them. :-D

Be good,
John

I'd much rather be around the smoke of a drum than be next to a team with a Treager pit. I hate the smell they put out, but admit they do put out some good tasting Q.

Back