THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinBerto

Knows what a fatty is.
I know a lot of folks use Weber lids for their UDS's, I have one on my present one. What other companies make a domed 23" lid? When I picked up my last drum, from a friend of mine's tire store. There was a grill there that had approximately the same size lid. I had to explain what I was going to do with the empty oil drum. I really didn't pay attention to the brand. I'll have to call him later & ask.
I'm going on a scavenger hunt at the dump today for lids when I drop off some scrap metal.
Weber grills are as scarce as hens teeth around here, used ones, for sale. And I'd rather not buy a whole grill again, just for the lid.
I attempted buying just a lid from Weber. They wanted the serial number from the grill I owned. At the time I didn't own one. They said they only sold replacement lids for existing grills. I'm thinking another company may be more flexible in selling just lids.
I know a number of people use a flat lid, but I like the additional cooking space added with the dome.
My alternate intention is to cut another barrel 1/3 down attach it to a whole barrel giving me additional space. My problem here is cutting the barrel square. I used an air hammer with a sheet metal cutter to cut the lids off. Not too using the rim as a guide it went well. Without a guide I'm afraid the cut would be anything but straight. Any suggestions?
I'm sorry for the ramblin'. I've never been diagnosed, but I'm certain I have ADD:wink:

Actually getting a straight line around a barrel isn't all that tough to do. There are a lot of ways, probably the most simple and accurate would be to make a upside down T with a 2 in nail pounded into the side at the height you want, cut/grind the head off the nail leaving a sharp scribe edge. Now just go around your drum sitting upside down on flat ground and scribe your line for your lid, you could follow that with a grease marker just above your cut scribe to make it easy to see. I have other methods if you need.

Buy a cheap 4.5" or 5" angle grinder and some cut off discs. With a bit of practice you can cut an extremely straight line. The cut off discs will go through that barrel like a hot knife through butter

http://turnerbiodiesel.com/8_gallon_55_gallon_drum_cone

lafamilias.jpg

almostdone2.jpg

^^^ beat me to it Smokerking! Also I think I heard someone say they used a large wok one time. I bit the bullet and bought the wally world el cheapo 22.5 in grill. I used both top and bottom on a pair of my drums and got a cooking grate.

Back