UDS Heat Shield Experiment

Without a brick oven, I do believe you've found a use for the 14" perf pizza pan I've kept around and stashed away (obviously knowing I'd need it some day :wink::wink:). I think I might try a tent/umbrella~type deal over the fire basket itself. Will repoat back...

Attachments

• PMS (43).JPG
    PMS (43).JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 131
With all the same size holes I don't see how it would even out the heat distribution. Maybe if you took the outer couple of rings and doubled the size of the holes or combined 4 holes into one that would allow more heat towards the outer portion of the drum and away from the center.

I am working on a plan and will report when finished.

I have used a brinkman charcoal pan, for a water pan, and a small grate setting on the top of the fire basket with good results. My FIL uses a big 'ol aluminum pan in the same manner, he swears by it. I am not sure of the temp fluctuations as I usually only have a probe in the middle of the grill.

Never thought I needed a heat shield in the UDS. Great to see the options the brethren are coming up with though. Love the taste the original way produces and don't want to get too far away from that wonderful taste. Just my $.02

Without a brick oven, I do believe you've found a use for the 14" perf pizza pan I've kept around and stashed away (obviously knowing I'd need it some day :wink::wink:). I think I might try a tent/umbrella~type deal over the fire basket itself. Will repoat back...
Now that looks like a perfect shield to me and should keep the heat very even while letting the dripings through. I have been looking fo one on ebay for the lase three weeks and al I can come up with is either the solid pans or the tight mesh.

Thanks man. 10 for a tenner! I'm looking to go wider one but that may have to do.

I dunno how good an ali pan would be at attenuating heat anyway, ali's a bit too good at conducting heat I think?

Have you guys ever tried using an upside down metal bowl or upside down water pan? I haven't tried it yet, but in theory, the grease should drip down over the sloped surface and onto the coals below. Also, the heat will be drawn up from the sides of the bowl to the middle lid exhaust--kind of like a convection.

Just picked up an old cheapie BBS from the farm anit has a 16 base. Shold work if I don't make it a fire basket first.

Hell! I just bought a couple 14" Aluminum pizza pans for $3 each at the Business Costco to use for drip pans in the WSM's!

Flower pot mod update...I did my first burn Sunday using the flower pot bottom and noticed a 5 degree temp difference from the side of the drum (where my dial thermometer is mounted) to the dome (where I had another thermometer in the vent).

IMG_3841.jpg

With all the same size holes I don't see how it would even out the heat distribution. Maybe if you took the outer couple of rings and doubled the size of the holes or combined 4 holes into one that would allow more heat towards the outer portion of the drum and away from the center.

I am working on a plan and will report when finished.

Honestly I don't know what will happen...My thinking was that it would sort of "dirty up" the air (Dale Earnhardt mod) and get the hotter and cooler air inside the drum moving around and mixing together. I'll give it a try and see what happens...

Flower pot mod update...I did my first burn Sunday using the flower pot bottom and noticed a 5 degree temp difference from the side of the drum (where my dial thermometer is mounted) to the dome (where I had another thermometer in the vent).
So did it make an improvment, or did it get worse?

So did it make an improvment, or did it get worse?

Major improvement...instead of having the hot spot in the center of the drum the temps were within 5 degrees side to side and dome. I'll put a probe in the center next cook to monitor temps there but I'll bet a dollar to a dime it will be close. I based my drum design on the WSM proportionally...so I know for a fact when using a similar heat sink on the WSM my temps are pretty even at the grate (center & side to side) and will pull within 5 degrees or less dome to grate after an hour or so.

Now that looks like a perfect shield to me and should keep the heat very even while letting the dripings through. I have been looking fo one on ebay for the lase three weeks and al I can come up with is either the solid pans or the tight mesh.

Dr...Look towards some of the restaurant supply houses over there. Mine came out of the pizza joint I used to own, so it's pretty HD (14 gauge). Good pans are on Ebay from time to time, but you might just try the supply houses first...

16" pan...
http://www.instawares.com/aluminum-perforated-pizza-pan.12-0535.0.7.htm

14"...
Ebay US Item #'s 120241871804 & 110239905843
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=PERFORATED+PIZZA+PAN&category0=

Last edited by a moderator:
Back