UDS Heat Shield Experiment

I put eyelets in the holes to keep from rubbing the probe wires on any sharp edges. the plugs just keep the wires from sliding in or out of the hole. I've been known to get caught in the wires and pull things out. I don't guess it would do much to leave them open, the holes aren't that big.

what do you mean by "eyelets". All I could find to use were brass grommets and they were a bit of a pain to put in. I also like having a smooth edge for the probe wires. Those get expensive if you keep farking them up.

If you use thick perforated steel, and it is close enough to the fire it will vaporize the dripping and you will get the added flavor uds lovers love

If you use thick perforated steel, and it is close enough to the fire it will vaporize the dripping and you will get the added flavor uds lovers love

Sounds like the perfect job for a manhole cover. :wink: The plow disc is a little more realistic though; they sell on ebay pretty cheap and I posted some info on other internet sources here not long ago. The pizza pan idea sounds pretty reasonable too. Here's a couple more ideas:

tire rim.
late model "emergency" spares are a pretty wide diameter.

lid for a large diameter NSF aluminum or stainless steel pot.
These may cost but they are relatively thick and can be found in reasonably large diameters at restaurant supply places.

You can get a metal shop to cut you an octagonal or circular perforated steel sheet, get it about 1/4" thick then you can use...depending on the amount of perforations....metal slugs or other items to block holes in it till you get the heat distribution you are looking for

Here is something I scrounged up to try as a heat deflector, and still allow the fats to hit the coals.

100_2217.jpg

100_2216.jpg

It's one of those "Stove-Top Grills" from late night TV ads. These things are a dime a dozen at Thrift Stores, St.Vinny's, Goodwill or Salvation Army!

how do you think this would work? it is about 16 inches in dia. it is an old alum commercial collander. just wonder if it will take the heat??

Attachments

• 2008_0402firstcook0018.JPG
    2008_0402firstcook0018.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 152
You might be suprised what the replacement cost for that old commercial collander is.

I think you want something with a pattern about 12"-14" in diameter of smaller holes then a pattern outside of that about 4" in diameter of larger holes. Total of 18" diameter which is about what the clay saucer that JD looks to be using. But his does not allow the dripping to drop into the fire.

So more heat would get towards the outer edges of the cooking grate thus giving more even temps across the cooking grate.

well so far the collander is working great. this chicken has been on for about 3 hours. i only turned it for a few minutes to get the marks on the top also. the bottom is really no doner (is that a word??) than the top.

Attachments

• 2008_04032ndcook0002.JPG
    2008_04032ndcook0002.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 167
  • 2008_04032ndcook0001.JPG
    2008_04032ndcook0001.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 166
Capri have you tested whether the temp is even on the sides and middle or is the middle still hotter? I thought the idea was to get more even temps across the diameter of the UDS.

Here's my idea for a heat shield. Made of the lid of a 15 gallon drum. 1/2 inch holes drilled.
Stan41

Back