THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C

Cajunator

Alright, I'm not that knowledgeable on the UDS subject but, is it possible to make one strictly for low temp smoking for sausage?
How would I do this to get a rich smoke flavor without a high temperature that would overcook the sausage? You know, what would I use for heat source? An electric hot plate ?

Do a search for cold smoke generators. During the summer it will be tough as temps will be high already. one of the simplest methods is to use a metal can filled with smoking pellets. Then put in a soldering iron. This will allow the pellets to smolder and give off smoke without excess heat.

Do a search for cold smoke generators. During the summer it will be tough as temps will be high already. one of the simplest methods is to use a metal can filled with smoking pellets. Then put in a soldering iron. This will allow the pellets to smolder and give off smoke without excess heat.

Farkin genius!

Thanks, but that's not the answer I was loking for. I have a smoke generator for cold smoking and it doesn't do what I want to accomplish and pellets don't produce the rich heavy smoke I want. I think it needs to be a more conventional smoker type that doesn't get above or can where I can keep it about 180* maximum. I was hoping someone had an idea that's not too involved with welding and such.

If you've ever had REAL Louisiana smoked tasso or andouille then you'll know what I want to produce.

Any ideas other than building a bigger than I need smokehouse?

Thanks a bunch!

When I want to smoke fish in my 6' trailer pit, I make a small pile of charcoal like 8 pieces and just put the alder wood on top of it. I have the alder wood cut into small pieces 3/4" X3/4" 4" long. So it is just a little smoldering fire. I have not tried this in my UDS yet but I think it might work. However I have a door on my UDS so I would be able to add a couple of pieces of charcoal and replenish the wood as needed. I also have a bottom rack above the charcoal basket for a water, drip pan, so my UDS is more like a WSM in that regard. So I think it could be done if your UDS was constructed with this purpose in mind. I also think you might be on to a good idea of using an electric hot plate then your UDS would be like a big size little chief. There again a bottom door would be very handy.

Thanks, but that's not the answer I was loking for. I have a smoke generator for cold smoking and it doesn't do what I want to accomplish and pellets don't produce the rich heavy smoke I want. I think it needs to be a more conventional smoker type that doesn't get above or can where I can keep it about 180* maximum. I was hoping someone had an idea that's not too involved with welding and such.

If you've ever had REAL Louisiana smoked tasso or andouille then you'll know what I want to produce.

Any ideas other than building a bigger than I need smokehouse?

Thanks a bunch!

Not sure what answer you are looking for then. You asked about using the UDS as a cold smoker and I provided the answer. If you want to cook hot and to me 180* is hot then just use the UDS as normal with fewer coals lit and keep the temps down. Unfortunately, I fear you are incorrectly associating heat with smoke production. I have smoked cheese with three lit coals and a chunk of wood in the bottom of a UDS and it produces plenty of smoke. If you are not getting enough smoke flavor maybe switch up the wood you are using too.

Back