THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dave12b

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
First off, thank you to all of you who contributed to the hundreds of not thousands of threads I have read on this forum. Because of you, I got the courage to start smoking. After two years of success smoking on my weber kettle (and two tries on an ECB), I decided that the next step for me was a UDS.

Yesterday, my wife flagged down the local scrappers to get rid of some junk we were cleaning out. While helping them load, I inquired about a drum. Within the hour a barrel with lid was on my driveway. I am getting ready for the burnout but before I drill the intake holes, I need to make a few decisions. I decided to do a super simple UDS controlled with magnets with the idea that I can upgrade later to a BGE style slider.

For those of you that have the sliders, what size whole do you have? I Is it homemade, BGE, or the one from Big Poppa? I am thinking of doing a single 1 ½ inch hole for now but I am worried that a factory made slider would be too narrow to cover up later. I have also though about three to four 3/4 inch holes in a line with about a quarter inch in between but I don't want to make it too long to cover up later.

Thank you for your help.

Most everyone who builds a "bone stock" uds uses 3 x 3/4" holes (detractors may be along shortly) spaced evenly around the drum . ALL open on fire up, capping off as the temperature comes UP. I run magnets over 3/4 holes and can run 300* on one fully open and just a *sliver* open on a second. The 3rd gets covered at about 185 degrees.

A single 3/4" hole= 0.4418 sq" of area. A single 1-1/2" hole has 1.7671 sq" -that's the equivalent of 4 x 3/4 holes. So a 1.5" diameter hole should give you all the intake you would ever want (you will have to run it at about a 1/4 open.)

Some might proclaim that with only one intake what will you do about wind direction? If you have multiple intakes you can open the ones that don't face the wind. (I guess rotating the drum by an appropriate amount is too much work)

No reason you can't drill a series of 3 or 4 3/4" holes( or cut a long narrow slot with basically the same areal) and cover them with a slider . My 55 uses 3/4 holes with magnets. My 30 gallon uses a 1.5" hole covered with a SS steel slider cut from an old fondue pot (hope my wife never looks for that) Both work very well - the magnets get a bit soft from the heat but are cheap to replace. The SS slider will NEVER wear out

Up to you.

I use a 1.5" pipe elbow, Actually I have 4 1.5" intakes. Mostly experiments. But to cook at 750* plus for pizza/steaks/burgers I use 3 of them. Magnets for control. Also I have a visual of my opening setting without having to back up or bend over to see where the setting is. The elbow stops the wind from blowing straight in and spiking temps. Also keeps out the snow till I get above 6" of snow.
Just another option.

And the fat man option. 16" tall 1.5 pipe

The stand pipe really does reduce the max temp you can get. But for low n slow it is nice.
The magnets are movable with your foot/toe.
You will want at least equal exhaust to your intake if you want to cook/sear at high temps.

Thank you both for your input. I decided on 4x ¾ inch holes in a row. In the end, it came down to practicality. I wanted to get a burn in today before work and the biggest drill I have at the house in ½ inch. So, I drilled 4x ½ inch holes that will be bored out to ¾ later when I can get to Harbor Freight. Burn is going good and I am getting excited.

Give it hell, brother! Let us know how it goes so we can all be excited right along side you. Even though building a UDS is not rocket science, you will feel a bit of satisfaction that you "built this" and that's so cool.

Back