THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow Sako you're killing it!! Ribbies look awesome and what kinda sausage is that?

Thanks bud! It was a pack of hot Italian that was left from the 4th. I must admit, one of my favorite things to eat off of the stick burner are the sausages. Out of this world good.

Killer cooks! Great looking pit too.

Thanks Josh!

Bones look good Sako, I've never tried hanging Ribs but I think I'm going to give it a try. If you like mixing the Blues Hog, I'd also recommend trying Swamps Boys Origional, if you've never tried it before.

Thanks Kevin!

Dude!:shocked: I keep trying sauces and most of the time never impressed but Wow!! 50/50 Tennessee Red and Original is insane. I stocked up on the stuff and I never do. Only other store bought sauce I love is a mustard based Carolina sauce at Trader Joe's. That's it!

I'll def give Swamp Boy a try.

Great thread Neighbor! Makes me want to purchase an LSG.... AND smoke some ribs. :mrgreen:
Seriously, great post on how the LSG performs. (the ribs look nommy) :thumb:

Great thread Neighbor! Makes me want to purchase an LSG.... AND smoke some ribs. :mrgreen:
Seriously, great post on how the LSG performs. (the ribs look nommy) :thumb:

Thanks Neighbor! I think that's about the only thing missing from your arsenal. Get you a 24x24 vertical or 24x36 horizontal. :nod: I mean you're more than welcome to use mine since we're neighbors. :biggrin1:

I've been making ribs almost every weekend the past few weeks. Niece and nephew are on summer break visiting and that's what they've been asking for. They love 'em!

Thanks Neighbor! I think that's about the only thing missing from your arsenal. Get you a 24x24 vertical or 24x36 horizontal. :nod: I mean you're more than welcome to use mine since we're neighbors. :biggrin1:

I've been making ribs almost every weekend the past few weeks. Niece and nephew are on summer break visiting and that's what they've been asking for. They love 'em!

Your LSG, Pit Barrel and Santa Maria cooks have me drooling for all three units. I tell myself I already have a 5' horizontal wood burner, two drums and the Hasty Bake, which I can raise or lower the hot coal rack. (and other cookers)

When I think of the things I would like to buy, I think the least expensive thing for me to do is purchase your neighbor's house and mooch food from you, over the back fence. :mrgreen:

Great that your niece and nephew are visiting! Your ribs are something they are going to remember for a lifetime. You're a good influence on them Sako. :thumb:

Your LSG, Pit Barrel and Santa Maria cooks have me drooling for all three units. I tell myself I already have a 5' horizontal wood burner, two drums and the Hasty Bake, which I can raise or lower the hot coal rack. (and other cookers)

When I think of the things I would like to buy, I think the least expensive thing for me to do is purchase your neighbor's house and mooch food from you, over the back fence. :mrgreen:

Great that your niece and nephew are visiting! Your ribs are something they are going to remember for a lifetime. You're a good influence on them Sako. :thumb:

Lol, now that's funny. Hey that works Jeanie!

Nephew wants me to teach me how to grill a steak. He's 10 and I think it's a perfect time to start him. I've already taught him charcoal, wood, direct, indirect difference. :mrgreen:

I actually taught him when he was about 6 but obviously he forgot. :becky:

n2ktGydl.jpg

Thanks again Neighbor!

Looks like they are learning from a pro Sako!

I'm up for adoption in case you need more relatives... :becky:

Looks like they are learning from a pro Sako!

I'm up for adoption in case you need more relatives... :becky:

Lol, Thanks Norm! I think they're all I can handle for now. :biggrin1:

Both these cooks look great. I can't wait till my LSG vertical offset is ready in November. Really glad I decided to add the warming oven to it. Thanks again for answering my questions back when I was getting ready to order.

Is there any advantage to hanging the ribs?

Both these cooks look great. I can't wait till my LSG vertical offset is ready in November. Really glad I decided to add the warming oven to it. Thanks again for answering my questions back when I was getting ready to order.

Is there any advantage to hanging the ribs?

Thanks and you're welcome! The warmer takes the versatility of the pit to new levels so great choice. Def worth the wait especially that you've seen them in person.

No real advantage really but when I have a light loadd such as these cooks, I prefer to hang because they're easier to handle, spritz and I hate grill marks on ribs. :becky:

Great looking ribbers there Sako. Have you tried cooking the baked potatoes in the smoker? If not you should give it a try. I rub mine down with olive oil. Give them some kosher salt and wrap in foil. The best ones I ever made were cooked in my LSG cabinet for nearly 4 hours at 250.

Agreed 100%. When I smoke foods especially in my vertical offset I always throw on baked potato's!

Those are some fancy looking ribs! Love those LSG vertical offsets! I'm sure the LSG runs much better than the one I built but I love vertical offsets

Agreed 100%. When I smoke foods especially in my vertical offset I always throw on baked potato's!

Those are some fancy looking ribs! Love those LSG vertical offsets! I'm sure the LSG runs much better than the one I built but I love vertical offsets

Here's what I do time to time Blaze. Drippings all over the taters.

20150315_154638.jpg

20150315_172538.jpg

Ribs looks great, how did you set up the charcoal box for the main chamber cook? Did you use the T-plates? Did you mix in wood chunks or just the stick at the end? As far as the intake vent was it the same for the MC cook?

Thanks Bill! For the MC cook I used one 18lb bag of Kingsford and Pecan chunks with the T-plates in place. The stick was at the end only for about 30-45 IIRC. The intake vent was about 1/4 to 1/3 open since I needed heat to go into the to MC.

Just to be clear, it was 1/4-1/3 open once the pit was up to temp. Next time around when using the basket, I plan to warm up the pit with sticks to avoid wasting charcoal for the initial warm up. It's a big pit so it takes time for it come up to temp and using charcoal to bring up to temp is a waste IMO.

Thanks, I'm anxious to try my (blasphemous) basket. With that burn time is perfect for ribs.

Thanks, I'm anxious to try my (blasphemous) basket. With that burn time is perfect for ribs.

Blasphemy or not, some days it's nice to load it up and enjoy the company while the pit does its thing. :thumb:

Did you get the gas assist starter with yours? I was thinking the other day after you might could use that to help get the pit up to temp before throwing in the basket.

Back