Turkey on the MAK

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
John
Looks like we may be staying home for Thanksgiving this year, so it’s about time to figure out how I want to cook the Center Attraction this time.

I’ve faithfully cooked my Bird using the “Mad Max” technique on a BGE when we’ve stayed home, but many times we’ve gone to the Relatives for the feast. Went through the trouble of dragging my BGE there one year, but probably never again.

Thought I might try to change things up a bit and try it out on the MAK. Looked up the recipe they have on the MAK Website and a few other PP websites as well. Most are variations on the same theme. Start low until a temp of 110-120 is achieved, then bump it up til finished at 170 in the breast (which seems too high to me).

MAK mentions a Vertical Roast, others do not. Brine & Dry rub are pretty common suggestions, type of Pellets is pretty much all over the place.

****Side note: Hit a local Ace Hardware yesterday and saw that Traeger has a “Kit” that includes brine, rub, and a “Special Blend” of pellets specifically for Turkey, but pretty expensive - $39.99 for the bag, and it was not a lot of pellets.

Anyway, wondering if it would be a better option to just smoke it at a lower temperature of say 250-275 the whole time til the breast is closer to 160-165 range. I figure carry over will easily take it up another 5-10 degrees during the rest.

Not sure I want to get a vertical roaster for a Turkey and don’t want to trust my Chicken Vert to hold up a Turkey.

Think setting it on a traditional Turkey Roasting pan rack on top of a deflector of some sort is my starting plan.

Any thoughts or experiences or words of wisdom appreciated.

I spatchcock them now.I have cooked many on a BGE.I have even went to the trouble of trying the MadMax method before but quickly abandoned all the excess steps in that method.Now,I just spatchcock,season as I like,smoke it on the WSM.I am not familiar with the latest pellet fad so I cannot offer much there.I am sure it would do a fine job though.I am with you on temp too.165 in the breast is plenty done.

My process John, I don't worry too much about smoke so i don't bother with low temps to start with.

spatchcock, dry brine with Naturiffic Harvest brine 72 hrs or so, wrap tight in plastic.

season how ever you like, I like a butter herb slather

If I'm cooking only the bird, top wrack 335* 2.5-3 hrs. done

If I have more to cook, bottom wrack elevated above a baking sheet on cooking wrack
that way I can cook sides up top.

pull at 155* carry over will take care of the rest.

We usually get comments like OMG best turkey ever, this is so moist you don't even need gravy. :-D

last years bird, maybe the year before
VDRLWJKh.jpg

V5cXTJSh.jpg

Good Lord, Tom! That looks ridiculous!

BREAK BREAK

We're too small of a family for a whole bird, so I usually do a turkey crown.

John (SirPorkalot) and his Naturiffic Harvest Brine is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I cooked mine on the Weber 22" until the temp read 165, then brought it inside to rest.

Just like Tom said - Tender and moist. Excellent flavor.

If we continue to grow the local brood, I'm all about spatchcocking a bird in the future.

If you'd rather make your own wet brine, I HIGHLY recommend PatioDaddio's Thanksgiving Brine found here on the forum (our previous favorite for several years before trying Naturiffic Harvest Brine).

My process John, I don't worry too much about smoke so i don't bother with low temps to start with.

spatchcock, dry brine with Naturiffic Harvest brine 72 hrs or so, wrap tight in plastic.

season how ever you like, I like a butter herb slather

If I'm cooking only the bird, top wrack 335* 2.5-3 hrs. done

If I have more to cook, bottom wrack elevated above a baking sheet on cooking wrack
that way I can cook sides up top.

pull at 155* carry over will take care of the rest.

We usually get comments like OMG best turkey ever, this is so moist you don't even need gravy. :-D

last years bird, maybe the year before
VDRLWJKh.jpg

V5cXTJSh.jpg

I don’t spatchcock but otherwise this is pretty much what I do too (little longer cook time because it’s not spatchcocked). Wet brining is fine too.

The main thing is that you don’t need to take it all the way to 165 before pulling it. Carryover will get it up there but even if it didn’t, the bacteria still die even at a little lower temperature — just more slowly. (Which is the key to why sous vide doesn’t kill us all). Not over cooking it is really the key to keeping it tender and moist.

I spatchcocked for first time last year and wont go back. Did it in the komodo kamado at 375ish with just lump charcoal. Best bird yet and hope I can top it this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back