THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WilliamKY

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
William
I plan to dry brine a turkey this year with Harvest Brine. First time I've used a dry brine for turkey. After the brining can I use a rub (Thinking light dust of Killer Hogs AP) or will the dry brine be adequate? I'm also going to inject the bird. I want lots of flavor but dont want it to be too salty. Thanks.

I over shot this breast it was pulled over 170* still dripping with moisture

bNzRoVkh.jpg

I also ordered Harvest Brine and am doing a few turkeys with it this season. Thanks Tom for the response...think I'm going to give just the Harvest Brine a shot with no other rub and see how it works.

I plan to dry brine a turkey this year with Harvest Brine. First time I've used a dry brine for turkey. After the brining can I use a rub (Thinking light dust of Killer Hogs AP) or will the dry brine be adequate? I'm also going to inject the bird. I want lots of flavor but dont want it to be too salty. Thanks.

I would think that you could use a rub in addition to the Harvest Brine as long as the rub does not have salt in it.

I agree with the others, no need to add an addeitional rub when using Naturiffic Harvest Brine. It has plenty of flavor and imparts plenty of moisture. If you are considering adding a rub on top of Harvest Brine, my concern would be the additional salt being added to the bird.

The people at Naturiffic have spent years in research and development of their products; I would trust that they have the perfect balance of sweet, savory, and salty with their dry brine. After all, if this is their livelihood, the product is the best it could possibly be.

When using Harvest Brine be aware that the directions state to apply the brine, then wrap tightly and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours per pound (up to 3 days!) so allow yourself
enough time for thawing out the bird before applying the brine.

When using Harvest Brine be aware that the directions state to apply the brine, then wrap tightly and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours per pound (up to 3 days!) so allow yourself
enough time for thawing out the bird before applying the brine.

You can dry brine it frozen. The salt will actually help to defrost the bird and will do its thing.
I would add 12 hours or so to a frozen birds brine time

Just placed an order from John for Harvest Brine, Q-Salt & the Rib Rub. Can't wait to try after what has been posted here over the years. First up - dry brining the T-giving turkey.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will just use the brine and skip the rub and injection. The harvest brine smells awesome. Very excited to do my first wood fired turkeys.

Back