THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dealm9

is one Smokin' Farker
My brisket that I am doing closely according to PitmasterTs method of cooking brisket : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jNsSTElPAk"]Hot n Fast No Foil Jucicitidinous[/ame] is coming along great.

Here is what I started with: a 15lb choice packer.
DSCN1276.jpg

Here it is after the first 2 levels of the tri-level rub. I used lawry's season salt and for my low salt rub I used SM Peppered Cow (I have no idea if it is "low-salt").
DSCN1280.jpg

Dirty Dalmation rub ready (1 part coarse salt, 1 part coarse black pepper, 1 part lemon pepper)
DSCN1281.jpg

Last level of rub!
DSCN1282.jpg

Browns UDS cruising away at 275. Could not have asked for a more beautiful day.
DSCN1283.jpg

Here it is at 10.5 hours in. Meat temp was at 190. I put it on at 0530. For the first hour the smoker was at 215. Since then it has been around 270-275, however there was an hour to an hour and a half when I was sleeping that it was at 260-265. I probed it for tenderness here but it still has a way to go. The bark is looking great and juice is running all over that thing.
DSCN1286.jpg

I do not do sauce on any of my bbq (except Boshizzle's Shackattack sauce which I use on everything) but I am making some sauce just in case some people want some. I am using N8man's recipe from this thread (Thanks N8man, it smells and tastes great!)

Finished and sliced pics to come whether it looks like shoe leather or not.

This brisket was the most flavorful piece of meat I have ever eaten. The only problem was I left it in too long. The slices were not all holding together like I wanted. I had half slices half shredded beef but heck, it was all still good and very moist. I just sliced the point with the flat as I like it like that more than burnt ends.

Here it is off the smoker
DSCN1287.jpg

Sliced, or well torn apart...
DSCN1288.jpg

As you can see I got a few good slices that held together which I got from the thick part of the brisket but a lot of it fell to shreds. I was really mad at myself and disappointed until I tasted it and I fell in love. I know everyone says that pork butts are forgiving and that is true but following this tri-level rub I found a very forgiving meat where even if you don't cook it perfect it does not matter because the flavor was unbelievable. I was caught off guard by how thick and hard of a bark I got thought and I think that is the reason I left it on too long because when probing for tenderness the resistance I was feeling had to be from the bark. I felt the resistance deeper than I thought the bark was so I thought the meat was not done enough when it really was still the bark. At least that's my hypothesis:crazy:. I am not worrying about what it looks like though because it tasted unbelievable and I cannot wait to make some breakfast burritos

Thanks everybody
Sounds like you're eating well & I bet it won't be long before you'll be cooking another packer to perfection.
Haha it's funny you posted this because as soon as dinner was over I got the urge to get another packer to do this weekend. I cannot wait to do another one and just take it off a bit earlier. In the meantime, I think I am going to do a flat in the over like PitmasterT suggests so that I know exactly what I am feeling for when probing the packer.
Looks great what time is breakfast?:mrgreen:
Thansk bluedawg. Sorry I did not check this until after breakfast because I made a brisky omelet with some cheese onions and peppers. It was sooo good. Sorry no pron:doh:

Back