THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Over the years I have used a lot of different spice suppliers to procure specific spices, powders, and chilies.....

One of our own Brethren has add some limited spices to their inventory, including some pure ground chilies like Habanero, New Mexico, Serrano, and Guajillo peppers. I prefer to use pure ground chilies and mix/blend them myself to achieve the flavor I desire, and not settle for some unknown commercial chili powder blend.

I was also taken in by the bulk flake salt. I use Maldon flake salt but it can slightly costly depending where you buy it. I tried the fine flake salt and was pleasantly surprised that it is truly a flake salt. Although it is not Maldon, it looks like this will be a new staple in my kitchen replacing one of the sea salts I currently use at the table. Flake salts give a bolder sharper burst of salt flavor without having to use more salt. This comes from the flat flakes dissolving on the tongue which burst with flavor like a fireworks display.

I also bought some granulated honey to try in my next batch of bacon, and the next rib cook. It dissolves easily which should make it a welcome addition to any recipe using honey for flavoring.

Lastly I also bought some smoked paprika. Most smoked paprika use a lower quality product because the addition of smoke covers any imperfections in the product. Again this is a quality product with a nice balance between the spice itself and the smoked flavor.

enhance

Didn't know that either. How did you find out? Is it listed on their page? Might have to look...

Thanks, IamMadMan. Really glad you liked the spices! I work really hard to source (and use) the best available. I'll be releasing a few more on the spice page in the coming days.

Oh yeah... and my package labeler Kelly is really tickled to see her hand-written labels on the interwebs. She's famous now! :becky:

:thumb: :thumb:

I went there to check out the Honey.
it has Maltodextrin
Not certain how healthy it would be in my rub :(
The rest looks fantastic

Ok, if you're going to post something like this, you should probably back it up with facts. So, what exactly do you believe is unhealthy about maltodextrin? Your wikipedia link does nothing to support your statement.

Maltodextrin is a natural form of sugar derived from corn starch (so it's gluten free). It is hygroscopic (water-loving), so it grabs on to liquids and turns them into powder, naturally.

:bored: :bored:

Last edited:
Ok, if you're going to post something like this, you should probably back it up with facts. So, what exactly do you believe is unhealthy about maltodextrin? Your wikipedia link does nothing to support your statement.

Sorry
https://draxe.com/maltodextrin/
I am watching my intake of Carbs and my glycemic index
The Wikipedia link talks about the high glycemic index
The honey would be a treat but worth itnot certain that Maltodextrin is worth it.
I would rather pure cane as a filler near the same glycemic score and better probiotic benefits.

1. Spikes Blood Sugar

2. Suppresses the Growth of Probiotics
3. Made From Genetically Modified Corn Not as big a deal in my opinion
4. May Cause an Allergic Reaction or Side Effects For the gluten sensitive
5. Has No Nutritious Value Empty carbs

Hope this makes my point better

Sorry
https://draxe.com/maltodextrin/
I am watching my intake of Carbs and my glycemic index
The Wikipedia link talks about the high glycemic index
The honey would be a treat but worth itnot certain that Maltodextrin is worth it.
I would rather pure cane as a filler near the same glycemic score and better probiotic benefits.

1. Spikes Blood Sugar
2. Suppresses the Growth of Probiotics
3. Made From Genetically Modified Corn
4. May Cause an Allergic Reaction or Side Effects
5. Has No Nutritious Value

Hope this makes my point better
No, I'm sorry, but it doesn't help make your point at all. The GI of raw honey is around 60-65. Table sugar has a GI of around 64-68. Therefore, honey is hardly a low-GI food by itself and the introduction of the small amount of maltodextrin used in manufacturing granulated honey only raises the GI of granulated honey a net 2-5 points, which is still very close to that of plain table sugar. My point here is that if you were on a low Glycemic Index diet, no form of honey is a great option regardless of whether it contains maltodextrin or not. You are making a distinction without a difference and it's a moot point.

The maltodextrin used in our products is derived from corn. Therefore it is 100% Gluten free, so it would never cause an allergic reaction for anyone with a gluten sensitivity. Additionally, the maltodextrin used in our products is made from non-GMO corn, if that's important to you. I personally think the science behind the GMO scare is highly unfounded and at a minimum unsettled science.

Finally, the site you've referenced is basically an internet tabloid. Show me a link to a respected peer-reviewed medical or scientific journal article and then we can talk.

Maltodextrin is a natural sugar that is found in nearly all starches. It is NOT heavily processed as your tabloid link states. And, it is not used as a "filler" in our granulated honey. Due to it's naturally hygroscopic properties, it is the only way to make powdered liquids naturally. The two products we use (granulated honey & crystallized lime juice) that contain maltodextrin are both certified Kosher, USDA Organic, NON-GMO and Gluten Free.

Last edited:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4940893/

Sixteen years ago, relevant literature and data on the molecular characteristics, compositional properties, and structural-functional mechanisms of MDs were thoroughly reviewed (Chronakis, 1998). In recent years, concerns have been raised about the increased use of refined CHOs, including isolated starches and MDs, in food and beverage and its relation to increased obesity rates (Ogden et al., 2012). One of the main reasons for concern is that, depending on the quantity consumed, refined CHO sources can have a strong impact on the post-ingestion blood glucose, insulin, and lipid levels. Discernible changes in these markers have been linked to potential health risks, especially in vulnerable individuals such as diabetic patients (Johnson et al., 2009; Parker et al., 2010; Welsh et al., 2010).

took about 3 minutes to find a referenced reviewed article.
All I stated was an opinion sorry you did not like it.
if I plan for honey with a glycemic index of 45-50 and end up with maltodextrin with a glycemic index of 85-106 my blood sugar will be out of wack.
Put what ever you want in your powders I do not care I am saddened you go on the defensive so quickly.

I will not revisit this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4940893/

Sixteen years ago, relevant literature and data on the molecular characteristics, compositional properties, and structural-functional mechanisms of MDs were thoroughly reviewed (Chronakis, 1998). In recent years, concerns have been raised about the increased use of refined CHOs, including isolated starches and MDs, in food and beverage and its relation to increased obesity rates (Ogden et al., 2012). One of the main reasons for concern is that, depending on the quantity consumed, refined CHO sources can have a strong impact on the post-ingestion blood glucose, insulin, and lipid levels. Discernible changes in these markers have been linked to potential health risks, especially in vulnerable individuals such as diabetic patients (Johnson et al., 2009; Parker et al., 2010; Welsh et al., 2010).

took about 3 minutes to find a referenced reviewed article.
All I stated was an opinion sorry you did not like it.
if I plan for honey with a glycemic index of 45-50 and end up with maltodextrin with a glycemic index of 85-106 my blood sugar will be out of wack.
Put what ever you want in your powders I do not care I am saddened you go on the defensive so quickly.

I will not revisit this
I really want to leave this alone, but I cannot stand it when someone on a soap box rant quotes something completely out of context in order to bend it to fit their agenda.

I am on the defensive because you are spreading misinformation regarding an ingredient utilized in a product I manufacture and sell to the public, including the esteemed members of this forum.

First, our granulated honey DOES NOT have a glycemic index of 85-106. That is the GI of pure maltodextrin and you are conflating it with the resulting GI of a granulated honey product that contains mostly raw honey and probably less than 5% maltodextrin.

Second, kudos for finding an actual scientific article on the subject. Unfortunately you clearly did not read the ENTIRE article.

The technical article you quoted actually found that maltodextrins aren't bad for you and actually have numerous positive attributes:

"Maltodextrins have numerous {positive} applications in functional foods and beverages, as well as clinical nutrition, sports nutrition and infant nutrition. The use of maltodextrins in specific circumstances, such as the use of concentrated energy drinks during endurance sports, may help reduce the risk of gastrointestinal distress compared to the use of glucose or sucrose..."

"Next to their use as an energy source, applications of maltodextrins include their uses in replacing fat, encapsulating vitamins, minerals and flavorants, enhancing shelf life, and increasing bulk of products, amongst other things. Furthermore, the use of maltodextrins as a carbohydrate source is preferred to that of common sugars and their use as fat replacers leads to a reduction in the energy density (kJ/g) of food products containing them."

Final and favorite quote from the article: "no causal relationship between the consumption of maltodextrins and negative health effects has been reported"

Last edited:
Any ideas on the expiration of these bulk spices?

Left in factory-sealed condition, and stored in a cool dark place, our packaging will keep the spices fresh for at least 2 years.

Once opened, as long as they are stored in a cool dark place and the zipper closure is properly closed, they should stay fresh for up to one year from date of purchase.

Thanks, IamMadMan. Really glad you liked the spices! I work really hard to source (and use) the best available. I'll be releasing a few more on the spice page in the coming days.

Oh yeah... and my package labeler Kelly is really tickled to see her hand-written labels on the interwebs. She's famous now! :becky:

Your prices are very reasonable. I think I just found my new supplier.

Thanks, I did not know he sold bulk items.

Didn't know that either. How did you find out? Is it listed on their page? Might have to look...

Nice to know. Really like Oakridge rubs.

Thank You I will have to check them out

Page for Bulk Spices
https://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/bulk-spices/

Your prices are very reasonable. I think I just found my new supplier.

The Prices are very Reasonable....
One thing I noticed his Habanero Chilie Powder is aprox 300,000 Scoville Units whereas my other source list theirs at 200,000 - 300,00. Oakridge looks like the product is more consistent in this product.

Back