THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

socalnewb

Knows what a fatty is.
tommorow night will be first time smoking a tri-tip on my 14.5 wsm im going to run at 225 Its a 3.75 pounder and i will be using kingsford blue with a full water pan in what amount of time do you reckon it will hit 135? Thanks in advance

Just my .02 but I would do it High Heat on the Gasser. Steaks turn out better that way. You could also go with a reverse sear since it's over 1 & 1/2" thick.

It will go quick, as low as an hour sometimes even with it being straight from the fridge. You can go straight off the smoker but it use do a reverse sear also

never cooked on wsm but have done plenty TT slow around 225 it could be 45-75 in my experience reverse sear as mentioned above is a good idea I pull at 130 rest 20-30 min. then sear

I cook them all the time in the 14.5. However, I hang them, pull at 112* & tent w/ foil. Then disassemble the cooker, put a grate on the charcoal ring, let the fire build until it's raging & then sear 2 minutes or so per side. Let rest under foil for 15 minutes.

You could use the top grate instead of hanging.

Back