THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had never seen the issue with my 850. Inside of the smoker as a nice copper color. Did a couple of shoulders this weekend at 225 for 13.5 hours. Noticed the inside of the smoker had changed from copper to a dark black. Did a cleanup of the grill tonight and the black soot was real bad. It was so bad that I will no longer be using this grill until they get this issue resolved. I took pictures but not sure who I'm going to use to host them after Photobucket put the hurts to everyone.

Attachments

Last edited:
Traeger Timberline Temp control fault

Just found this thread and thought I would post a new Problem found on the Timberline 850 and 1300 models. Some of the temperature probes have been wired incorrectly providing no temperature reading which results in the smoker going into shutdown mode with "Low Temp Error" showing.

Besides ordering a new part you can do a quick fix by removing the display panel. Pulling out the largest yellow plug. Remove the tiny cover and adjust the wires inside to the other points. This will change the polarity and reading to be correct. Not the best but does the job whilst you wait for the part to replace. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Lazy

Well I've been having the same issues as listed in this thread, but something has changed. Mine seem to work better tonight but is still not there yet. Temp still fluctuating and recovery time still long. However I noticed different fan activity during this cook and the shutdown cycle on mine increased from 10 minutes to 25 minutes. Still showing version 1.1.2 but that is definitely different.

Well I've been having the same issues as listed in this thread, but something has changed. Mine seem to work better tonight but is still not there yet. Temp still fluctuating and recovery time still long. However I noticed different fan activity during this cook and the shutdown cycle on mine increased from 10 minutes to 25 minutes. Still showing version 1.1.2 but that is definitely different.

That there is fascinating... wonder if there was an unofficial update with some small tweaks ...

I had a shutdown cycle run for 25 minutes the other day but I was cooking at 450 degree. Wonder if at higher temps it has a longer cool down period?

I think it has to do with the higher temps. I shut down from 450 and it was 25 minutes. The next day I shut down from 250 and it was only 10 minutes. 1.1.2 firmware

Is anyone having issue with grease getting in the bottom of your pit and not in the rail?

This would most likely happen if the grease were running down the ends of the cooking grate. You should be able to trace the source of the grease. The unfortunate side effect of nice smooth and round grates, is that the oil/grease will travel a certain direction if the cooker is not level. I read someone was irritated on another forum about grease leaking between the cooking chamber and the hopper. I looked at mine to see how this would be possible. Because the drip pan does not span the entire width, if grease ends up at the edges of the grate(s), it would drip or wick its way down the wall and into the cooking chamber.

If it's not the ends and instead is coming from the drip trough, then it could have a bad weld or something. My guess would be it's coming from the sides of the cooking grates.

I'm going to do a brisket this weekend and really watch to see where the grease comes from. That will be the best test I think with all the rendering of fat.

so i spoke with a traeger rep yesterday, after I brought my auger motor in from the step. The rep I spoke with last thursday assured me that the auger and motor would be sent out priority air.. what he failed to mention was the small matter of the auger being on back order until late August!.. so my summer BBQ season is shot all to hell! needless to say.. in as polite of mannar as I could.. I unleashed on the guy yesterday and asked what the auger had to do with anything, and he claims that the mass production augers are welded incorrectly, therefore they are not feeding the pellets correctly and causing the jams and chamber burn back and so forth.. and as a result this is tearing up the motor, which is why they are sending that out as well.. but alas! I was told that the new update would be out this week as well.. not that its going to do a damn thing for my situation at this point..God I miss my Green Mountain.

I'm new to this forum and will follow this thread. Unfortunately I am experiencing the burn back issues, soot problems and lack of ability to get to 500 in any reasonable time. Seems like my hopper smokes anytime in shutdown mode or when I open to lid at higher cooks. So disappointed considering the amount this grill costs.

This thread really has me bummed out. I thought Traeger had turned things around with the new model and was going to be competitive against Yoder and some of the other high end smokers.

Hopefully this update will fix the issues. I've been tuned in to the thread

This exactly!

I'm new to this forum and will follow this thread. Unfortunately I am experiencing the burn back issues, soot problems and lack of ability to get to 500 in any reasonable time. Seems like my hopper smokes anytime in shutdown mode or when I open to lid at higher cooks. So disappointed considering the amount this grill costs.

These are the exact same issues I am having. I posted a video on youtube and emailed Treager. The video and their responses so far are below.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utXRvEiWATE"]Traeger Timberline 1300 Issues - YouTube[/ame]

Good morning Raina,
I am on version 01.01.02. I want to say that I was on a waiting list for
months to get this grill. I sold my Green Mountain model that never gave me
any issues. I love the build quality and the technology built into this
Timberline. However, I have been so disappointed in the amount of soot it
produces, It doesn't seem to matter if I clean it or not, food comes out
dirty. Yesterday I was trying to cook chicken breasts. It would never reach
the 500 degree mark. It got to 475 after almost 2 hours of running. I
opened the grill and placed the meat on. The temp dropped down into the
200's and would never come up. I finally gave up and cooked the chicken on
the propane grill. I then googled Timberline 1300 issues and came across
the forum below where many are having the same issue. Even after the
01.01.03 upgrade and removing some fan shroud, the issue still exists. I
look forward to any solution you may have. I doubt I am able to return this
or I would.
Thanks for your help Raina,

JUL 25, 2017 | 10:03AM MDT
Raina R replied:
What I can see, it looks like your grill has been running pretty well besides for this last cook. However, what I’d like for you to do is fill up your hopper with pellets and set your grill to high. Let it run on high for 2 hours then open it for 1-2 minutes and then close it and let it cook for another hour or so. That way we can see what it’s doing on our end to run a proper diagnostic.
All the best,
Raina R

Customer Service Representative
TRAEGER WOOD FIRED GRILLS
800.872.3437 (Toll-free)
TraegerGrills.com

My Reply:
Hi Raina,
I have rarely tried to reach the 500 degree mark so I can't say if this issue was present before. I will say that the amount of soot on the food makes it inedible. If that is what is considered running "pretty well" then we have very different ideas of what a $2000.00 pellet grill should do. I will follow your instructions and burn another 3 hours of pellets. I'll then get back to you.

Hi Raina,
I did as you asked and ran it at Max temp for a few hours, it would never get to the desired setting. I opened the lid for a few minutes then let it try and heat up again and it would't get abouve 285. Let me know what your data shows on your end. Thank you.

Then a reply from Braxton at Traeger this morning:
Braxton W replied:
Hi Quinn, this is Braxton from Traeger. I went over the conversation between you and Raina and it would seem that it could have been a slight Auger Jam. In case you haven’t troubleshot this already, you can clear the jam with the Auger easily enough. All we have to do is gain access to the Auger Motor by pulling the Hopper off after unscrewing it. After that, we can pull the entire Auger assembly out roughly 3 inches. NOTE the Auger may have to be shaken slightly to get it all the way out. The reason for this is because there are some pellets that could have caused the Auger to stop moving causing the jam. To fix that, we are going to have to break those pellets causing it to stop moving. Pulling it out the 3 inches also clears any remaining pellets that could cause a problem. Let’s give that a try if you have not already.

All the best,
Braxton W

My reply:
Hi Braxton,
I called in earlier today when I didn't hear back from Raina, I was told that this was a known issue with the 1300 and they expect a firmware update to solve it. To your point, if it was a jammed auger wouldn't that prevent combustion entirely? I don't know if you can see in your records how long I ran my grill last night but it did light and heat up, it just never got to higher than 375 or so. You can see from this photo how many pellets I wasted preforming the test Raina asked me to do. So those of us with the problem either all have jammed augers or the software that controls the unit is not doing what it is supposed to do. The soot issue is another problem I can't seem to resolve. I also have smoke coming from the hopper and when I place my hand in the hopper to level out the pellets the pellets are hot to the touch. I would hate to see them catch fire. I think there is a bigger issue at play here, or perhaps I have a defective unit? I purchased this gill on June 20th from RC Willey. If I could return it, I would. What other options are available to me?

On a side note, the new CEO of Traeger is Jeremy Andrus, he was one of the owners of Skull Candy Headphones. Skull Candy was amazing at marketing and advertising. However their headphones were nothing more than cheap Chinese low budget headphones with flashy colors and designs. I am afraid that has now trickled down to the Traeger Timberline. Great marketing, lots of catchy videos, but in the end it's a subpar product. I sold my GMG Jim Bowie for this, and it was a third the cost and never gave me an issue. Most of the positive reviews and beta test units from what I have seen were for the Timberline 850. The 1300 clearly needed more R&D.

Just my take.

Last edited:
I'm glad I still have my Traeger 070 with a SmokeDaddy controller. That grill has been bulletproof. It's one of the US made grills. Really sad to pay all that money for the Timberline 850 to have it just sit .

These are the exact same issues I am having. I posted a video on youtube and emailed Treager. The video and their responses so far are below.

Traeger Timberline 1300 Issues - YouTube

Good morning Raina,
I am on version 01.01.02. I want to say that I was on a waiting list for
months to get this grill. I sold my Green Mountain model that never gave me
any issues. I love the build quality and the technology built into this
Timberline. However, I have been so disappointed in the amount of soot it
produces, It doesn't seem to matter if I clean it or not, food comes out
dirty. Yesterday I was trying to cook chicken breasts. It would never reach
the 500 degree mark. It got to 475 after almost 2 hours of running. I
opened the grill and placed the meat on. The temp dropped down into the
200's and would never come up. I finally gave up and cooked the chicken on
the propane grill. I then googled Timberline 1300 issues and came across
the forum below where many are having the same issue. Even after the
01.01.03 upgrade and removing some fan shroud, the issue still exists. I
look forward to any solution you may have. I doubt I am able to return this
or I would.
Thanks for your help Raina,

JUL 25, 2017 | 10:03AM MDT
Raina R replied:
What I can see, it looks like your grill has been running pretty well besides for this last cook. However, what I’d like for you to do is fill up your hopper with pellets and set your grill to high. Let it run on high for 2 hours then open it for 1-2 minutes and then close it and let it cook for another hour or so. That way we can see what it’s doing on our end to run a proper diagnostic.
All the best,
Raina R

Customer Service Representative
TRAEGER WOOD FIRED GRILLS
800.872.3437 (Toll-free)
TraegerGrills.com

My Reply:
Hi Raina,
I have rarely tried to reach the 500 degree mark so I can't say if this issue was present before. I will say that the amount of soot on the food makes it inedible. If that is what is considered running "pretty well" then we have very different ideas of what a $2000.00 pellet grill should do. I will follow your instructions and burn another 3 hours of pellets. I'll then get back to you.

Hi Raina,
I did as you asked and ran it at Max temp for a few hours, it would never get to the desired setting. I opened the lid for a few minutes then let it try and heat up again and it would't get abouve 285. Let me know what your data shows on your end. Thank you.

Then a reply from Braxton at Traeger this morning:
Braxton W replied:
Hi Quinn, this is Braxton from Traeger. I went over the conversation between you and Raina and it would seem that it could have been a slight Auger Jam. In case you haven’t troubleshot this already, you can clear the jam with the Auger easily enough. All we have to do is gain access to the Auger Motor by pulling the Hopper off after unscrewing it. After that, we can pull the entire Auger assembly out roughly 3 inches. NOTE the Auger may have to be shaken slightly to get it all the way out. The reason for this is because there are some pellets that could have caused the Auger to stop moving causing the jam. To fix that, we are going to have to break those pellets causing it to stop moving. Pulling it out the 3 inches also clears any remaining pellets that could cause a problem. Let’s give that a try if you have not already.

All the best,
Braxton W

My reply:
Hi Braxton,
I called in earlier today when I didn't hear back from Raina, I was told that this was a known issue with the 1300 and they expect a firmware update to solve it. To your point, if it was a jammed auger wouldn't that prevent combustion entirely? I don't know if you can see in your records how long I ran my grill last night but it did light and heat up, it just never got to higher than 375 or so. You can see from this photo how many pellets I wasted preforming the test Raina asked me to do. So those of us with the problem either all have jammed augers or the software that controls the unit is not doing what it is supposed to do. The soot issue is another problem I can't seem to resolve. I also have smoke coming from the hopper and when I place my hand in the hopper to level out the pellets the pellets are hot to the touch. I would hate to see them catch fire. I think there is a bigger issue at play here, or perhaps I have a defective unit? I purchased this gill on June 20th from RC Willey. If I could return it, I would. What other options are available to me?

On a side note, the new CEO of Traeger is Jeremy Andrus, he was one of the owners of Skull Candy Headphones. Skull Candy was amazing at marketing and advertising. However their headphones were nothing more than cheap Chinese low budget headphones with flashy colors and designs. I am afraid that has now trickled down to the Traeger Timberline. Great marketing, lots of catchy videos, but in the end it's a subpar product. I sold my GMG Jim Bowie for this, and it was a third the cost and never gave me an issue. Most of the positive reviews and beta test units from what I have seen were for the Timberline 850. The 1300 clearly needed more R&D.

Just my take.

I haven't been impressed their customer service at all.

I'm glad I still have my Traeger 070 with a SmokeDaddy controller. That grill has been bulletproof. It's one of the US made grills. Really sad to pay all that money for the Timberline 850 to have it just sit .

I'm with you on that , I was about to buy one , but bought an older 075 to go with my 070 , now I have plenty of cooking space and can cook at different temps at the same time

Just applied the update to mine. Unfortunately I have to work all weekend, so won't get a chance to give it a test till sometime next week. Will anxiously be watching this thread to see everyone's results. Hopefully they got the issues corrected.

Back