Traeger Timberline Problems, updates and fixes

also wondering if they have same fan function settings in the 850 & 1300 making the bigger one more prone due to size...

I have had no issue with my 850. I did notice slightly bigger over shots on temp control after the 02 update. I guess I'll see what 03 does. My concern is with all the updates to accommodate the 1300 how will this effect the 850 which basically has no issues?

There are 4 small screws on/near the bottom of the pellet hopper. Remove those and the whole bottom access panel comes off.

how did you free up the power cable from the bottom panel under the hopper? it seems to have some sort of plastic attachment/snap to the panel and i couldn't get it loose to bring the panel down to the ground (in the dark with headlamp and lantern)...

how did you free up the power cable from the bottom panel under the hopper? it seems to have some sort of plastic attachment/snap to the panel and i couldn't get it loose to bring the panel down to the ground (in the dark with headlamp and lantern)...

You have to push it out the bottom side of the panel. It's just snapped in with the tension being that it's compressing the power cable. I just pushed on it from the top side of the panel and worked it loose.

I pulled mine out to check it last night, it has no dark color on it at all.

Soot:
20170712201048-dd8f8478-me.jpg

I'm not sure how you guys are not getting soot since the fan is controlled by firmware and we're running the same version. Set it to 200 degrees on super smoke. Check your heat diffuser first and then run it for 30 or so minutes. If you don't have black soot, then I guess they are not all made equal. I have no idea if the 850 has this problem.

I have said it before but mine takes forever to get to temp and will not recover to the set temp after opening the lid.

Anybody else having this problem?

Mine doesn't seem to have that problem. What kind of pellets are you using? My smoker comes up the low and slow temps pretty quickly. Getting it up to 350 and above, is a slower process but I expected that. Mine always seems to recover alright, especially at lower temperature settings.

I think I'm running cookin pellets right now, yep

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HEYVS2O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

but I have not run my cooker low to much mostly in the 325-375 range. It will not come back up to temp. I don't use my pellet cooker as a smoker much, mostly for grilling and oven type cooking.

I'm using cookinpellets as well. You should try 200 degrees on super smoke for 30-40 minutes and see if you get any soot. Remove all of the grates and grease pan. That way they won't get dirty if it does.

just got off the phone with traeger...

- seems burnback & soot = 1300 issue (not getting such calls from 850 folks)
- the 01.01.03 is supposed to come out shortly (today? he wasn't positive)
- if you have set up wifire and leave grill plugged in and main switch in back on (but grill off) it will automatically update when available... so for those of us waiting for the update this sounds like the thing to do
- he also recommended removing the fan collar; it sounds that this is the current party line though he had no idea why it should matter (wouldn't seem to really effect much airflow in looking at it)
- i asked him if the wifire programming was grill specific (850 programmed differently than 1300 or is it the same) as i wonder if this may be the issue with the 1300= running 850 program that works for it but not the 1300... he wasn't sure but is meeting with some folks today about these issues (as he is also a rep) and will ask the question as he agrees it is very pertinent
- they seem to be getting lots of these calls from 1300 owners and seem to be trying to work through it to make it right

So... i just removed the collar (had to push the grommet holding power plug thru on the small 1/4 of it to free up the cord) and have it waiting in standby for update...

Last edited:
My guess is Traeger did not have the foresight to think that it would be beneficial to have different firmware for the 850 and 1300. I think their mentality was one size should fit all. I think now they probably realize that this is not the case. I have left my 1300 powered on all day and I'll check when I get home to see if the update has shown up yet.

I will be getting my FEC100 put back together this weekend and running it through its paces. I had it apart for cleaning and it needed new seals. It is an older model that originally came with a Traeger controller. I couldn't afford the $1500 to upgrade it to the IQ4, so I bought a Blazin Grill Works PID controller and installed it on there. It works much better than the old Traeger controller. I am glad I haven't sold it yet in case that things don't get better with the Traeger I'll have something to fall back on.

I checked at 400 pm when I got home and no update for me. I did put some country style ribs on just to get a cook in.

No update here either. I did send them some info like when I was working with GMG. If they continue to shut off the fan, it will continue to have this issue. Maybe they are making some additional edits, since releasing firmware is a bit risky (if it fails, it can brick a controller) and it continues to change the customer's experience. For that reason, it's better to spend a little more time testing, instead of just throwing out a quick release with limited testing. I don't mind waiting a few days for a version which has a little more validation, assuming that's why it's delayed. :)

I've got a 2lb naked fatty for the christening once It's sorted... and a pork shoulder in waiting...

I went by the dealer where I bought my 1300 today they have not heard about any soot or recovery issues but they let me play with the 850 floor demo they have. It was a total different experience for me as for recovery it almost didn''t loose temp with the lid open even started to rise a bit the fan blows much better more like my old one. I think mine is a blower issue . I contacted them today and they are sending a new fan, no update yet here yet

I too am having issues with my 850 holding temp. As soon as I open lid seems like it drops drastically and never recovers. I've noticed this after the firmware update. You say you played with the demo at your local retailer, wonder if it was connected to wifi with updated firmware or the original version.

I have said it before but mine takes forever to get to temp and will not recover to the set temp after opening the lid.

Anybody else having this problem?

Tom, i have a Yoder but i also have a hard time getting back up to temp when running above 325. I think it might just be a pellet thing. I use my kettle for anything above 275 if i will be opening lid. If i want to run 325-350 in the pellet and know i won't be opening lid till the cook is over i set the initial temp higher maybe 400. Once the meat goes in i drop the temp to whatever i want it to be set at. That extra heat from the beginning seems to help. I actually do the same for low and slow. I preheat it to 350 let it get stable, put the food in then drop the temp to 265 for the duration.

I cant remember but I'll check with them

I too am having issues with my 850 holding temp. As soon as I open lid seems like it drops drastically and never recovers. I've noticed this after the firmware update. You say you played with the demo at your local retailer, wonder if it was connected to wifi with updated firmware or the original version.

Tom, i have a Yoder but i also have a hard time getting back up to temp when running above 325. I think it might just be a pellet thing. I use my kettle for anything above 275 if i will be opening lid. If i want to run 325-350 in the pellet and know i won't be opening lid till the cook is over i set the initial temp higher maybe 400. Once the meat goes in i drop the temp to whatever i want it to be set at. That extra heat from the beginning seems to help. I actually do the same for low and slow. I preheat it to 350 let it get stable, put the food in then drop the temp to 265 for the duration.

Thanks Matt but my old Traeger and the 850 at the store had no problem recovering. my current fan is not blowing like them

I went by the dealer where I bought my 1300 today they have not heard about any soot or recovery issues but they let me play with the 850 floor demo they have. It was a total different experience for me as for recovery it almost didn''t loose temp with the lid open even started to rise a bit the fan blows much better more like my old one. I think mine is a blower issue . I contacted them today and they are sending a new fan, no update yet here yet

I'm testing this theory... I had an new unused fan (I kept smoke smokedaddy parts around for my now dead camp chef) and I just threw it on there... just turned on to 225 and watching how it runs with deflectors etc out....

Back