Traeger Timberline Problems, updates and fixes

Where did everyone go? 6-month gap in the messages.

In any case, I have the Timberline 1300 and have had motor/auger issues from the start. It started on my 3rd cook, a clicking sound from the area of the motor turning the auger. I ignored it, but on the 4th cook the auger stopped completely, mid-cook. Cook was ruined. Called customer support, they decided that the motor had burned out and sent a new one. I'm pretty handy, replaced the motor no problem.

Everything was fine until 3 cooks later. Clicking started again and the auger would jam up. Kept it going somehow through a couple of cooks until two days ago when I had NINE racks of ribs 30 minutes into a cook. Auger stopped completely, motor would turn but after a single rotation the auger would stop. A little nudge would get it going again for a single turn...

Long story short, my old mechanic mentality took over and I realized I was dealing with stripped gears. Pulled the auger and motor (yes, mid cook) and took the transmission in the motor apart. Lots of little gears, the main one attached to the auger had two teeth gone. That's why it would make one turn and stop. I actually frankensteined a working set of gears from the original motor and the second motor and got it working enough to save the cook. Had to babysit the thing because the auger would bind up and we would have to turn the motor by hand until we cleared the jam.

The clicking sound, if you ever hear it, is the gears in the motor slipping because the auger is binding for reasons unknown. If you get enough clicking the gear teeth actually get stripped away and nothing works after that. $2000 and we get plastic gears. Someone somewhere saved a dollar on that decision.

I called customer support again, the nice person had to go get 'permission' to send me a new motor, and finally did because of the original motor issue. $2000 for a cooker and I get some reluctance to send me a new part? In any case, they are also sending me a new auger which sounds like the root of the issue. In reading this thread, the original augers had binding problems. I certainly wish they had cleared this up the first time.

In any case, I am getting a new (3rd) motor and new auger and apparently some rub or something.

Also, I see that the conversation dies with firmware version 1.0.5 or some such. My 1300 is running 2.0.1, no idea what has changed. Anyone have any knowledge of the new firmware and what they fixed?

could be the pellets :noidea: I had some once can't remember the brad but they were longer than most about 1.5", I didn't break anything but had some jamming issues

In any case, I have the Timberline 1300 and have had motor/auger issues from the start. It started on my 3rd cook, a clicking sound from the area of the motor turning the auger. I ignored it, but on the 4th cook the auger stopped completely, mid-cook. Cook was ruined. Called customer support, they decided that the motor had burned out and sent a new one. I'm pretty handy, replaced the motor no problem.

Everything was fine until 3 cooks later. Clicking started again and the auger would jam up. Kept it going somehow through a couple of cooks until two days ago when I had NINE racks of ribs 30 minutes into a cook. Auger stopped completely, motor would turn but after a single rotation the auger would stop. A little nudge would get it going again for a single turn...

Long story short, my old mechanic mentality took over and I realized I was dealing with stripped gears. Pulled the auger and motor (yes, mid cook) and took the transmission in the motor apart. Lots of little gears, the main one attached to the auger had two teeth gone. That's why it would make one turn and stop. I actually frankensteined a working set of gears from the original motor and the second motor and got it working enough to save the cook. Had to babysit the thing because the auger would bind up and we would have to turn the motor by hand until we cleared the jam.

The clicking sound, if you ever hear it, is the gears in the motor slipping because the auger is binding for reasons unknown. If you get enough clicking the gear teeth actually get stripped away and nothing works after that. $2000 and we get plastic gears. Someone somewhere saved a dollar on that decision.

I called customer support again, the nice person had to go get 'permission' to send me a new motor, and finally did because of the original motor issue. $2000 for a cooker and I get some reluctance to send me a new part? In any case, they are also sending me a new auger which sounds like the root of the issue. In reading this thread, the original augers had binding problems. I certainly wish they had cleared this up the first time.

In any case, I am getting a new (3rd) motor and new auger and apparently some rub or something.

Also, I see that the conversation dies with firmware version 1.0.5 or some such. My 1300 is running 2.0.1, no idea what has changed. Anyone have any knowledge of the new firmware and what they fixed?

I was lucky enough to make it a year before I needed a motor and auger.

I noticed yesterday I have 2.0.1 firmware as well and would like to know what changed.

I do know after smoking two 9 pounds butts on 225 and Super Smoke yesterday, I had very unimpressive smoke rings. The meat tasted good, but the smoke ring was all but non-exist.

I'm looking forward to giving my 850 to my brother and buying a Mak.

Hi bananahead I think I'm having a problem similar to yours with my 850, but I'm not a really handy man. Once during a cooking the grill was on the was a power outage, I what heard was a loud *clunk* coming from inside the auger.

Now my grill turns on, connects to wifi and everything but once I set a temp non of the two fans on the bottom start spinning and no pellets are fed into the chamber.

I've already replaced the screen and the two fans but nothing changed so far...

Do you have any suggestion?

How did you dissamble the transimission? What should I do to check for stripped gears?

Thank you

Temp variation in Timberline 850

So I am new to this game but have done my first couple efforts with the 850. (Wish I’d found this forum first as I might have bought a different smoker). But overall mine seems to work fine, with the exception of what the Wookiee wrote below. It seems my bottom grate runs at a lower temp than top, as my first 6lb pork shoulder took over 11 hrs before it got to 180 degrees. I was set at a pretty steady 225 the entire time. I noticed when I seasoned the grill that when I left the probe lying on the bottom grate that it read 70 degrees lower than the top meter for much of the cycle until I raised the temp to 500.

I intend to do some other temp checks myself but wanted to learn from the others here with more experience and smoker wisdom. Was I just too impatient waiting for the meat to start rising in temperature after the stall?

Any help that those running the 850 can provide? Thank you!

I'm curious what others are seeing in terms of temp difference between grates (top/middle/bottom)? I am seeing top grate correlate with traeger temp readout and bottom grate about 25-50degrees cooler than top depending on temp and whether it's settled there yet or not... middle rack being, well, in between temp-wise. This is with lowest rack not in searing position but rather in pull out /usual position. Temps left to right in each grate are consistent.

Anyone else checked?

Okay I just joined the forum and I have a timberline 1300. What did you guys do to fix the problem? I read the forums and could not figure out what Traeger did to fix the problem. I have the latest firmware. Thanks again guys.

Okay I just joined the forum and I have a timberline 1300. What did you guys do to fix the problem? I read the forums and could not figure out what Traeger did to fix the problem. I have the latest firmware. Thanks again guys.

Fix "the" problem? These $1700+ yard ornaments can have multiple problems.

The easiest fix is to rent a mini excavator and pummel this pile of junk into a pancake so your local metal scrap yard doesn't have to.

Timberline 1300 Issues

I don't see as anyone has posted on this thread in awhile, so did you all solve your issues? Or Did you turn your Timberline grills into boat anchors? I've had nothing but issues with mine since receiving it in October of last year. Finally a call to the Wifire help line had them send out a new controller. I finally got that installed last weekend and fired up the Traeger for the first time in a couple months. Everything seemed to work fine, way better than it ever had before. I just let it run for about 3.5 hours and all was good. I ran it through the shutdown cycle and put it to bed. The next day I looked at it and there was a fine coating of ash all over the 3 grates. When I removed the drip tray, there was a TON of ash/soot in the bottom of the grill. Just wondering if this is normal? I have a Big Green Egg that I love, but I wanted something that I could just come home and switch on, which is why I bought this. Also, being able to do a couple briskets and a couple pork butts at the same time can't be a bad thing. But have a look at the photo and let me know if I need to open up another support ticket. Thanks!
A

Seems like Traegers solution is to move on to the Ironwood line and forget about Timberline owners.

Agreed. They did a complete revamp. Looks like they know they just needed a complete overhaul. New controller, new auger, etc. Too many issues for a $2000 machine when there are similar grills for half the cost. To me, they are trying to sell it way too hard as a premium brand, but it isn't a premium machine. They have to pay for all those people they "sponsor" over on the social medias.

I got a 1300 in December and the only problem I had was with the wifi. Traeger tech support fixed that and I haven't had any other problems with mine. I am very happy with the grill.

I got a 1300 in December and the only problem I had was with the wifi. Traeger tech support fixed that and I haven't had any other problems with mine. I am very happy with the grill.

Same. Just got mine last week. But i have really thick plaster/lath walls so our Wifi devices barely get any connection outside. I bought a Wifi extender and it solved the problem instantly. I think a lot of issues people are having is User error by not cleaning out the firepot after every cook.

Same. Just got mine last week. But i have really thick plaster/lath walls so our Wifi devices barely get any connection outside. I bought a Wifi extender and it solved the problem instantly. I think a lot of issues people are having is User error by not cleaning out the firepot after every cook.

The early units issues were not user error. I am one who always vacs and cleans after every cook. I’ve replaced pretty much every part of a pellet grill (except the body) and have used them for years.

A nontrivial chunk of the early timberline units were jacked up... I got so sick of being a test case for new parts and unresolved issues I sold it and got a Mak. Much happier now. Not to say they haven’t ironed it out, but this thread details a lot of the pains competent diligent brethren had with them... some of the early units seemed to work, but many did not. I do hope they have it ironed out. Showed a lot of promise.

I've owned 3 different brands of pellet grills including Traeger. I didn't have to clean the firepot out more than once every 10+ cooks on any of them. If they can't figure out how to blow enough ash out of the pot during shutdown that is a problem with the grill maker, not the user. If they recommend that and you don't do it then technically I guess its user error, but there are plenty of grills out there including other traegers that you do not have to clean the firepot that much. They have electricity and fans. Figure out how to blow it clean for the next start. It's pretty simple really.

I agree with Tony, my grill gets cleaned about every 5-8 cooks depending on cooking time and temps at foods.

BTW I'm one of the happy Timberline owners

I agree with Tony, my grill gets cleaned about every 5-8 cooks depending on cooking time and temps at foods.

BTW I'm one of the happy Timberline owners

I am happy as well, i just needed to address the Wifi issue. I ran it at 375F for a few hours and the Ash was minimal. Way less then the Pit Boss.

Back