Traeger Timberline Problems, updates and fixes

I ran a meatloaf tonight on mine super smoke for 1.5 hrs ant then 325 worked like a charm but the Mrs. wanted a burger and when cranked up it would only go to 400 after 25 min, when set at 480 not sure if V.04 has helped since I was getting happy before

I received the .04 update for my 850 Saturday morning, I put on a brisket (both the point and flat, separated) it held 225 on supersmoke perfect. Then turned off super smoke and continued to hold temp perfect. After opening the lid, it recovered fast. At the end of the cook, I wanted to roast some Corn. I turned it up to 500 and the grill was responsive. So far so good...

Looks like they released 01.01.05 on 9/6.

01.01.05 – RELEASED 9/6/17

1. Improved smoke performance in warm weather.

My 850 has been running well didn't ever get to run it on 04 it wasn't out long before they updated again.

.5 Test

Installed the .5 upgrade and ran a quick test of high temp. Set temp to 450. Grill climbed to 450 without any issues. Through a small steak on the grill. Temp recovered back to 450 without any issues. After the steak was finished I raised the temp to 500. Climbed up to 500 without any issues. Opened the lid for 30 seconds. Temp dropped to 430. Recovered back to 500 without any issues. Next test will be supper smoke and a low and slow cook.

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Super Smoke with .05 still shuts off the fan when getting within 10 degrees of the set point. I won't be using super smoke. I hope you guys are checking your smokers for soot if you do.

Oh my gosh!! Just watching these Timberline issues continue from the sideline is killing me [emoji37]

After my call with Traeger a couple of weeks ago where the assured me they would get this resolved, I have not heard back from the Customer Service Supervisor. They seem to be pretty much blowing me off at this point.

I will never, ever buy or recommend a Traeger product.

Ok I seriously feel for you guys with this crap. i had a similar saga of non stop quality issues with another well known brand of pellet grills. Ended up selling it to stop the pain. Don't want to badmouth them so will just refer to them as yellow+blue hill grills. Am sure that there are many people out there that love their pellet grills of all different brands but for me I bought a stick burner and havent looked back....

PHP:
[HTML][/HTML]
After my call with Traeger a couple of weeks ago where the assured me they would get this resolved, I have not heard back from the Customer Service Supervisor. They seem to be pretty much blowing me off at this point.

I will never, ever buy or recommend a Traeger product.

so If I understand it correctly.. the version 5 is still simply about maintaining temps at varying cooks?.. who the heck cares about +- 10-15 degrees.. I want the soot issue resolved. It doesn't seem to me that it is going to be resolved this point as I am hearing from an insider that they are getting ready to release yet another new model.. while the timberline continues to struggle along.

when I finally received my replacement auger and motor.. mine was jammed really bad.. I found the best way to deal with it was to pull the screw out of the bushing housing(accessible through the hopper) and turned the auger on and it basically walked itself out of the tube. it was messy but it worked.

when I finally received my replacement auger and motor.. mine was jammed really bad.. I found the best way to deal with it was to pull the screw out of the bushing housing(accessible through the hopper) and turned the auger on and it basically walked itself out of the tube. it was messy but it worked.

yep just did it yesterday butt i think I had some crappy smell broken pellets in there form a wallys sale

Better

Did some ribs yesterday on my 850. 2.5 hours at 225 on super smoke and then cranked it up to 300. Happy to report no soot :clap2:

I am operating on .05 and things are looking good on the 1300 too. I would agree with many in the beginning, but it looks like they have things sorted out and are on the right track.

I replaced an early model #17 serial number unit as the auger was too long I was told. Traeger came to my house and replaced my unit at no extra cost. They had run and inspected the replacement prior to transport.

I had several jams, burn backs, soot issues, and temp stabilizing problems with the first unit.

I have seen three software updates using the new grill and each time gets closer and closer to being perfect. I will say it is about perfect now.

I have removed the fan collar as per the instructions from Traeger.

I have incredibly accurate temps with minimal to no temp swings now, I can hit 500 in under 20 min, recovery time for high heat cooks when lid opens is fast, soot is all but gone during cooks with the exception of super smoke I still have a bit of soot, however, I have not tested this with the .05 software yet, no more burn back or smoke in hopper, no auger jams to name a few things.

When apple releases a new product, I have been the one standing in line purchasing it and realizing each time I am at risk of owning an untested product. I have wanted an apple watch for years, and think with the new iwatch 3, I will finally jump in and make the purchase now.

Same goes with electronic BBQs. A computer is running everything and there will be growing pains with it. Once it is sorted out, things should stabilize like we are starting to see now.

Upon further investigation

Did some ribs yesterday on my 850. 2.5 hours at 225 on super smoke and then cranked it up to 300. Happy to report no soot :clap2:

Spoke to soon. Upon doing a complete cleanup this morning, discovered the following. While it is getting better, They still have some work to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 587
I smoked two separate batches of jerky for a total of 16 pounds at 165 with super smoke back to back. Basically super smoked for 8 hours straight.

Then I cranked up to 500 degrees and got there in 12 min and let it go and burn off the grease.

Brought it down to 375 and cooked chicken wings for just under an hour

Let it go another 45 min at 500 just to play with the temp.

Responsive is and understatement, this grill has really dialled in on its temp recovery and temps changes.

No soot anywhere in the grill, I will check the diffuser once it has had a chance to cool down.

Cooked a TRI tip on my 1300 at 185 super smoke for 4 hours and I am HAPPY!!! On .5 firmware and seems all my soot problems are gone. My diffuser is still completely clean. Had soot still on .4 but seems .5 on my 1300 has fixed ALOT of the soot issues for me. Will post pics tonight when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hopefully i will have a chance to test mine out this week. I have not had a chance to even fire it up in about a month as I have been busy with work and traveling. I hope everything turns out ok. There was a screw jammed into the auger tube on the replacement they sent me. Hopefully it wasn't a bad omen.

I'm curious what others are seeing in terms of temp difference between grates (top/middle/bottom)? I am seeing top grate correlate with traeger temp readout and bottom grate about 25-50degrees cooler than top depending on temp and whether it's settled there yet or not... middle rack being, well, in between temp-wise. This is with lowest rack not in searing position but rather in pull out /usual position. Temps left to right in each grate are consistent.

Anyone else checked?

Back