THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I’m making this tomorrow for my wife...who has Carolina roots. Only have a WSM for a smoker, so no splits. Was thinking of using apple wood chunks for smoke, Cuz well, that’s what I always use for pork. What’ll think? Should I go get some hickory or something else?

I’m making this tomorrow for my wife...who has Carolina roots. Only have a WSM for a smoker, so no splits. Was thinking of using apple wood chunks for smoke, Cuz well, that’s what I always use for pork. What’ll think? Should I go get some hickory or something else?

I'm a Tarheel who grew up on Lexington 'Cue.

Use what you've got. Hickory. Apple. Whatever. It'll be tasty.

I've used this method many times, and I'm doing it again in the morning.

You've got great things ahead.

Enjoy!

Hickory is traditional, Apple will work

I grew up in the Carolina's. Most of the q is cooked over hickory although you see a lot of Pecan when you're down around the Pecan groves. For me, that's what I expect Carolina Q to taste like. But I use a lot of apple for chicken and fish and wouldn't hesitate to use that if it was the only thing I had to burn that day.

So I read this thread about a month ago and swore that I would do it the next time I cooked pork. I have one picnic and two butts that I'm going to mix. A question though; I always pull from the cooker when the thermometer hits 203 or the bone pulls easily. You say to pull when it hits 190ish? Seems like it wouldn't be done at that point?

So I read this thread about a month ago and swore that I would do it the next time I cooked pork. I have one picnic and two butts that I'm going to mix. A question though; I always pull from the cooker when the thermometer hits 203 or the bone pulls easily. You say to pull when it hits 190ish? Seems like it wouldn't be done at that point?

I’ve never met a butt that wasn’t done at 195F

Made this today exactly like OP said to. Holy crap, it was good. I hate cole slaw but this was a tremendous sammie and I will do it again. Thanks SirPorkalot!

Try making your slaw this way. You might find you like slaw more than you thought you did.

I do a very basic eastern NC style slaw. It is the perfect compliment for a pulled pork sandwich made with eastern NC vinegar/pepper finishing sauce (perfect in my opinion, at least). I don't measure anything, so I can't really give a recipe, but here's a rough guide to what's in it and about how much.

I usually make about 1/3 of head of cabbage worth, give or take. You can scale up or down as needed.

The key thing is the cabbage needs to be pretty finely chopped. I use a food processor. If it is coarse chopped in long strings, it won't macerate properly. If it doesn't macerate, it just tastes like raw cabbage with some mayonnaise on it. That ain't slaw, in my opinion.

Add a dollop of mayo. Maybe a tablespoon? Or two? Don't overdo it. If the finished product has a creamy texture, you used too much.

A dribble of ACV (or white vinegar, if you prefer). No more than a teaspoon, maybe less. If you use too much, it'll wash out the cabbage. You want the cabbage to stay crisp and keep its color. If it turns limp and translucent after a couple of hours, you used too much vinegar.

Be relatively generous with the sugar. I'm going to guess 2 tablespoons. That sounds like a lot, but you want the finished product to taste a bit sweet to balance the vinegar on the pork.

A dash of your favorite finely ground salt.

A pinch of celery seed. Just enough that you can see some scattered black dots when you mix it in.

And that's it. Mix well. You can serve it immediately, but I think it is better when it sits for an hour or two prior to serving. It's also good left over for a few days, especially if you don't overdo it with the vinegar so that the cabbage stays crisp.

I will have to give this a try. I used one of the recipes from this thread and like it. It makes me mad that I don't like slaw because I like everything in it, especially cabbage. This sandwich was awesome though.

You will not regret it! I think I am going to start experimenting with finishing sauces on all my pork butt. I love butt when I get a nice piece of bark with the bite but otherwise I think it's kind of bland. I've been eating this stuff cold out of the fridge and it is awesome. I also think I'm going to start chopping all my butts, I have never been a fan of the long stringy stuff.

This is my favorite thread. I use it all the time. The only thing I have experimented with on this is a buddy of mines mom came up to visit from North Carolina so I had her pick me up a few bottles of Scott's BBQ sauce. That's good stuff too. Now here's the new question I have -- How about a real legit North Carolina corn bread recipe?

Back