THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The answer form the Royal:
Shane - Unfortunately bad things happen that are out of our control. This is the 1st I have even heard of a vehicle being vandalized in Liberty Lot. The appropriate thing to do would to file a police report once they found out their vehicle had been vandalized. The American Royal is not responsible for and lost or damaged property, however we do learn things every year and we will work on improving them for next year.

I appreciate your feedback and we will make note of this for next year.

Thank you,

Jolene DeMoss
Barbecue & Special Events Coordinator
Not surprising...If they acknowledge that there is a problem, they must do something about it. It is much easier to claim ignorance...short sighted, but easier. They should be embarrassed. :tsk:

i filed a police report immediatly and the staff at liberty lot all knew about a bunch of break ins. I can t believe half a dozen break ins did not climb the chain. The guy in charge of the lot was called at midnight when I made a 3rd report.

anyway, we spent the day hunting for the broken console latch for the escalade.

its a POS piece of plastic button that screwed to the console door with 3 screws. The busted the hook portion that latches it shut.

That POS button is in 03-06 Escalades, Avalanches, Tahoes and Yukons. You cant buy just the button even though its a seperate component, so u have to buy the entire door assemble, which is just a console cover. Since i only need the button, i dont need the leather and can go for the less expensive uphiolstered version for a mere $403.00..

one dealer quoted $487, the other $403.00.... for a friggin plastic door.

holy ****... farked by the thief and screwed by the dealer. Someone get me some lube.

i filed a police report immediatly and the staff at liberty lot all knew about a bunch of break ins. I can t believe half a dozen break ins did not climb the chain. The guy in charge of the lot was called at midnight when I made a 3rd report.

its a POS piece of plastic button that screwed to the console door with 3 screws. The busted the hook portion that latches it shut.

That POS button is in 03-06 Escalades, Avalanches, Tahoes and Yukons. You cant buy just the button even though its a seperate component, so u have to buy the entire door assemble, which is just a console cover. Since i only need the button, i dont need the leather and can go for the less expensive uphiolstered version for a mere $403.00..

holy ****... farked by the thief and screwed by the dealer. Someone get me some lube.

What about a wrench and pull? Any chance it's sitting in a pile of deceased Esacapades anywhere?

That's what you get for owning a Mercedes!!! :wink:

If I were the Poohbah, I'd ask members to visit their local Pick-n-Pull type places. I'm betting you get a better deal that way.

You can look at all your local large salvage dealers stock on the console at www.car-part.com just go there and put in year , make , and model and what part your looking for and your zip code . you can serch the whole country for that matter. Bet you can find a used one. I use this site every day, but I am in the autobody business..

we need to fire up the smoker and smoke this dirt scum, sh!t heads like this are worse than the scum sluge at the bottom of a dirty pit....Sorry for your loss
RR

I love living in a small town in Dixie!

Sorry for you being a victim Phil. When you put too many humans in a small concrete cage they go crazy and start biting each other, just like lions in the zoo.

I go to other events like this and all others do a much better job controlling access to the lots. I believe that would be the key here. The douchebag sitting in his car on the puter was of virtually no help.:crazy:

My other gripe was the shuttle. Twice, the shuttle pulled away as I was walking up to it to get a ride, and it wasn't even full. Farking useless farker.:roll:

It really isn't that bad. For the number of people that attend there are very few problems. I've been at much smaller events that have had more dangerous problems. You would also be surprised how quiet it gets after Friday night. You still have some teams that will have parties, but nothing like the night before.

I appreciate the comment but I think we will pass anyway. I understand that the crowds at the Royal are much bigger than anything we get here in the Northeast, but we like that. We are a family team that competes for fun and we have no set aspirations. Just the crowd size alone would probably keep us away.

Why were there only 5 cars broken into? Why not 50 cars? Why did we not have reports about cars broken into last year?
Because there was some security there, because there were people in and out of the lot all night. With security as with safety, there is always one more step you can take. There is always one more layer of protection you can add. So it is very easy after an incident to point fingers and say they should have done this or they should have done that. I see the Royal as being well run by capable and caring people. And I think it would be impractical to protect against each and every car thief.

Stay away from the Royal because of a car break in? Because the parties are to big?
You go to your state fairs don’t you? You go to football games, right? This event is not that big. It is a huge BBQ, but it is nothing compaired to a NASCAR event or state fair.

Those that are comparing this to be some out of control ecstasy party are off base. Our party had over 200 people with 20 some kids running around having a great time. This is a family event.

I agree perhaps a boycot is in order here

To be clear, I've never suggested that in this thread.

A boycott is only effective when enough people stay away to make their absence noticed or impact the bottom line financially. Neither of those things will happen in this case. Historically the Royal has no problem filling the lots with teams.

Phil has the right approach. That is to write a professional letter addressing the issues he experienced and waiting to see if those issues are addressed. I haven't seen anything that indicates the folks from the Royal will simply disregard his letter. In fact the reply Jolene sent to Shane indicates that they review everything in an attempt to improve the contest every year. With the multiple committees the Royal has I have no problem believing that Jolene had no knowledge of the events in question. We are just days removed from a huge event and I'm sure that the folks responsible are still getting things in order to review this event before starting to plan the next one.

At this point, I don't see the need for the village residents to pick up their pitchforks and start lighting torches to go storm the castle.

I appreciate the comment but I think we will pass anyway. I understand that the crowds at the Royal are much bigger than anything we get here in the Northeast, but we like that. We are a family team that competes for fun and we have no set aspirations. Just the crowd size alone would probably keep us away.

I don't blame you. It is one of my least favorite contests. I just like the atmosphere of smaller contests.

I will say that in the last 5 yrs of competing at the AR, we have not had any issues, knock on wood. I have left my car in one of the local business lots overnight, but made sure nothing was in it. I know this is hard for those of you who travel from out of town. As for our truck, we have been able to leave it in our site or a friends' site.

There definitely needs to be security in the Liberty Lot. There are other things going on down in the area, so not only do you have all the people at the Royal but you have a whole bunch of young adults going to the Haunted Houses.

well, after a day of hunting the salvage yards, dozens of calls and signing up online to a few salvage search sites.. i've come up dry except for the exact piece i need on...... get this..... ebay. 5 days left to bid.

As far as the royal organizers. it would be foolish for me to think they are responsible, but i do thinj they can make some adjustments to offer us better security in the lot they require us to park in. Even in our battle of the Brethren events, we ask the local precinct to cruise thru a few times a night and they always oblige and Willie has the cops come in and eat at his contests. With a lot the size of liberty and taking into consideration its location, its not unreasonale to request the AR managment consider some onsite security.

Will i go back next year? hell yeah!.. but the car in the 20x50 site will be mine and we'll have a rental in liberty to get us around if needed. Cant blame a city or an event for the acts of an individual dickhead. We all have them. This is my third year at the royal and I cant say its changed my perspective... its a huge event and somethings always going to happen. All I can do is hope that AR management will take these things into consideration and take action to avoid it from happening again.

Back