Thinking about a Super Bowl menu

kathicooks

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Kathi
My husband works on Super Bowl Sunday along with about 20 other people. I always take them a meal for any event. Only seems fair with them working a job serving our country.

So I want to make them something they will enjoy. I am thinking about 7 racks of ribs, a small-ish brisket (I think I have one that’s maybe 7 lbs) and am wondering if I should include another meat.

Sides will include Mac and cheese, cornbread casserole, and both sour cream/horseradish slaw and a vinegar/soy sauce slaw.
Folks on the team will provide desserts and appetizers.

What do you think? Do I need another meat? What do you think of the menu? Would you swap anything out? I was thinking of swapping one of the slaws for a broccoli cheese casserole.

If I was doing it, I probably trade out a slaw for some sort of warm dish like mac and cheese or something like that. Other than that, it all sounds delicious.

Thank them for their service...

I love broccoli casserole and could live on mac n' cheese so I would go with one or both of those.

I would swap a slaw for one of those plus those casseroles stick to your ribs.

You could always cook a butt. Goes a long way...and if they don't eat it all, your husband has lunch for a few days.

If you do slaw I'd just pick your favorite and make it, the sour cream horseradish one sounds interesting, if you're concerned about the meat add a pork butt.

Sounds like you have enough meat considering the sides included. That's really nice of you to cook for them!

My husband works on Super Bowl Sunday along with about 20 other people. I always take them a meal for any event. Only seems fair with them working a job serving our country.

So I want to make them something they will enjoy. I am thinking about 7 racks of ribs, a small-ish brisket (I think I have one that’s maybe 7 lbs) and am wondering if I should include another meat.

Sides will include Mac and cheese, cornbread casserole, and both sour cream/horseradish slaw and a vinegar/soy sauce slaw.
Folks on the team will provide desserts and appetizers.

What do you think? Do I need another meat? What do you think of the menu? Would you swap anything out? I was thinking of swapping one of the slaws for a broccoli cheese casserole.

Sounds great to me. Tell me more about this sour cream/ horseradish slaw. That sounds fantastic.

Sounds great to me. Tell me more about this sour cream/ horseradish slaw. That sounds fantastic.

Thanks. The slaw is pretty tasty. Slaw mix plus half sour cream and half mayo. Add prepared horseradish. That’s the stuff in a bottle usually in the dairy section. Exact amount of horseradish depends on how clean you like your sinuses. :wink:
Finish with salt and pepper. It’s one of the easiest slaw recipes I know and always a favorite.

I love broccoli casserole and could live on mac n' cheese so I would go with one or both of those.

I would swap a slaw for one of those plus those casseroles stick to your ribs.

You could always cook a butt. Goes a long way...and if they don't eat it all, your husband has lunch for a few days.

Good thinking. A butt makes some great leftovers.

If there is no wings, its not a Superbowl party. I would literally leave and hit up Bdubs. (ive done this before)

Ok, ok. I will add wings. Now keep in mind that they have no option to leave during the game, but I know they love wings.

Second the "got to have wings" comment.

I'm doing a brisket early and holding it up until close to game time. Going to do some pork belly burnt ends and we'll also have a crock pot full of meatballs in teriyaki sauce. I plan on refueling the PBC after the brisket/pork belly and then just crush wings the rest of the way until I either run out of wings or I run out of fuel. Just keep bringing in 20+ fresh ones every hour and half to go with the rest of the food.

I'm also on chip and dip duty. Vegetables? They will be there but I don't know what kind and I don't care :)

I'm doing a brisket early and holding it up until close to game time. Going to do some pork belly burnt ends and we'll also have a crock pot full of meatballs in teriyaki sauce. I plan on refueling the PBC after the brisket/pork belly and then just crush wings the rest of the way until I either run out of wings or I run out of fuel. Just keep bringing in 20+ fresh ones every hour and half to go with the rest of the food.

I'm also on chip and dip duty. Vegetables? They will be there but I don't know what kind and I don't care :)

Nice! Maybe I will just come your way. Sounds like you have a great menu.

You might want to consider doing pulled brisket sliders since you are doing pork belly burnt ends.

What ive learned about hosting superbowl partys is, everything should be finger food.
I made pulled pork enchilada's one year and everyone went for the finger food. We had a lot of leftover enchilada's we sent doggie bags home, everyone raved about them and said they wish they had tried them but it was too difficult to watch the game and eat them.

I love this place. Always! Thank your men for their service and I'm certain they will LOVE everything you make! Wings are great but alot of work for several people. Ribs? PERFECT! Again...good bless them and you. Did I mention I love this place?!?!

Spoinks would be a good addition.

Pretty simple to make and cheap. Delicious too.

Get some Reduced Sodium SPAM
Brown Sugar
Cayanne
Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head (optional but really adds a nice touch)
Bacon
Toothpicks

Cube the spam up about meatball sized. Mix the brown sugar and cayanne together in a small bowl. If you have dizzy pig pineapple head mix some into the bowl as well.
Roll the cubes of spam into the mix of spices and then wrap in a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Then roll the bacon wrapped spam in the bowl of spices.
Throw them on the smoker about 30-45 mins about 300-350.
Watch not to burn them.
No exact measurements on mixing brown sugar and cayanne and pineapple head.
Just mix it up and taste it and adjust to your tastes. Cayanne is very little in my mix but try it out and see how you like it. I was thinking of adding a piece of actual pineapple to it and see how that turns out but I havent done it yet.

Give it a try. Do not use regular spam as it makes it way too salty. Reduced Sodium SPAM only.

You might want to consider doing pulled brisket sliders since you are doing pork belly burnt ends.

What ive learned about hosting superbowl partys is, everything should be finger food.
I made pulled pork enchilada's one year and everyone went for the finger food. We had a lot of leftover enchilada's we sent doggie bags home, everyone raved about them and said they wish they had tried them but it was too difficult to watch the game and eat them.

Been thinking about that since I know it is finger food city. I might get some Hawaiian Rolls and slice the brisket in a fashion that would lend itself to making sandwiches so they can eat easier. Was thinking the long slices of flat just get cut into smaller pieces while the cubed points can be tossed into a roll as well or just tooth picked.

Of course, I'm not upset if I have left over brisket!

Back