THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Every time I go to buy a brisket packer the flats are normally super thin. Yes I would love to find one that is thicker but can't seem to find one. Has anyone ever folded the flat over a little bit to keep it from burning up quickly? I'm using a UDS so I'm getting direct heat. Any ideas or tips other than finding a thicker flat? I have never used a deflector by the way.

It isn't really burning up that is the issue IMO. It is just that a thinner flat has less meat (within the edges) so you end up with more hard meat by the time the center is probe tender. Wrapping a little earlier than you would with a thicker cut is how I deal with it. You can also separate the point and flat before cooking and cook the flat braised in a pan for chili, etc.

I have had great luck placing smaller briskeys like that in a foil pan from the beginning of the cook

acts as a deflector, retains more of the juices

you wont get the same back on the bottom, I put it fat cap down

but its still great

Do you have a knife??? Trim it before you cook it. All those thin parts make good Chili, Carne Grisada, Stew..... That is how I address the situation

Last edited:
With regards to a diffuser i used to not use one but now i'm a big fan of them. A good one will let drippings still reach the coals but blend the direct heat. I have this one sitting on a shelf above my charcoal basket.

Back