THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SC_Dave

Knows what a fatty is.
Anyone ever used Suregel or pectin to thicken bbq sauce with?

I usually make 4-5 gallons at once. It a vinegar based sauce and while these type sauces are generally thin I don't want mine like water. I have tried corn starch and I just don't care for the look or taste. I tried arrowroot a couple of times. The first time it did fine but the second time it didn't do very good at all. Lumped up on me, I probably did something wrong I'm sure.....

Anyway, I know nothing about suregel or pectin. Heck they could be the same thing for all I know. Has anyone used them to thicken sauce?

Any thoughts or help are appreciated.
SCD.

I find xanthan gum is cheap and good, as long as you only need a fairly modest amount of thickening from it. If you use too much, you can get a disagreeable over-smoothness, and beyond that gloppyness. It's also an emulsion stabilizer, although I guess that wouldn't apply here. You want to mix it with another powdered ingredient first, or add it into a running blender, or whisk it in smartly.

I make Apple butter in the fall. The apple core has pectin, so I cook whole apples for an hour, then process thru a food mil and keep boiling down. The pectin is now out, and in the apple "sauce" that's cooking down. I use a ratio of bitter, sweet and tart apples to make a pretty complex Apple Butter flavor. All natural.

Incidentally, I use the same apple ratio to make my Apple Cider Vinegar. I'll make about 6 gallons in another month or so

Anyway I did all this for sauces. The apples are all local and picked at peak flavor. Clean with no spray.

The pectin will thicken sauces a bit. Pectin is in raisins also, which is a neat background base flavor (think Worcestershire ).

I make Apple butter in the fall. The apple core has pectin, so I cook whole apples for an hour, then process thru a food mil and keep boiling down. The pectin is now out, and in the apple "sauce" that's cooking down. I use a ratio of bitter, sweet and tart apples to make a pretty complex Apple Butter flavor. All natural.

Incidentally, I use the same apple ratio to make my Apple Cider Vinegar. I'll make about 6 gallons in another month or so

Anyway I did all this for sauces. The apples are all local and picked at peak flavor. Clean with no spray.

The pectin will thicken sauces a bit. Pectin is in raisins also, which is a neat background base flavor (think Worcestershire ).

Pectin certainly will tend to thicken more with the right amount of sugar present. Just what that amount might be in a particular application I certainly don't know--I guess that there are multiple factors at play, but I do know that when I add bulk sugar subs that are chemically very close to sugar (erythritol, polydextrose) to my home made cranberry sauce, it thickens a good deal more.

I can't read this kind of thing without my eyes crossing, unless I'm keenly interested in using the information right now, but this looks like a good article on the subject:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/08/jam-making-101-pectin-sugar-gel-point.html

I use Arrowroot to thicken my homemade Aussie sauce. The sauce doesn't need to be boiled for it to thicken and there's no taste to cook out. Just simmer it for a few minutes and it's thick.

I use Arrowroot to thicken my homemade Aussie sauce. The sauce doesn't need to be boiled for it to thicken and there's no taste to cook out. Just simmer it for a few minutes and it's thick.

I forgot about arrowroot. I used to use it back in the day when I was counting calories. I stopped that silly habit and forgot about Arrowroot

Nice article on Xanthan Gum. Microbes make it. I had no idea.

https://draxe.com/what-is-xanthan-gum/

Also in that article is a reminder of how groovy gelatin is

Off the track, but that article refers to xanthan being helpful with oropharyngeal dysphagia sufferers, of whom I am one. The condition can cause problems with voice and swallowing, and xanthan is supposed to help somehow with the latter--will have to look into it.

Back