THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Springram

is Blowin Smoke!
Ok, this is going to sound like heresy to many of you, but the Maverick XR-50 beats the pants off of the Smoke. I have had the Smoke since it came out and have used it a zillion times. Great remote thermometer EXCEPT for the lack of range. If I am in close range of the transmitter, all is good. However, when I am inside of the house and maybe 30 -40 feet away from the transmitter, my remote loses connection. The XR-50 remote stays in contact at all times.

The XR-50 has four waterproof probes, the units are pretty much water proof and is super easy to operate unlike the previous Mavericks I had and threw away. Also, 500 foot range! It has all the features you want and need. $89.95

I have two Thermoworks Dots, a ThermoPop, two ThermoPens, a Big and Loud Timer, a TimeStick and the Thremoworks IR gun. LOVE Thermoworks! BUT...the XR-50 ia a better product in my opinion.

Just saying......... :-D

Hardly heresy- there are fans of Thermoworks lurking to be sure- they make fine products. I have a couple- but if I decide to get a remote- it probably won't be Thermoworks

If the Maverick is a better fit for you- it's because they listened to the consumer. Makes for a happy customer.

Thermoworks needs to step up.

Viva capitalism.

I have two Smokes and a variety of Mavericks, IGrills etc. So far the range of the Smoke is on par with them all, never lost signal yet.

Both my old et-732's are still working flawlessly other than having to replace a couple of probes after a few years of heavy use. I'll look into the new maverick if these ever die. Only issue is the lack of up/down temp buttons. Seems like they resolved that. Appreciate the review!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My experience with the Smoke has been the same. Range is horrible if you are going through multiple walls. Mine loses signal all of the time. The XR50 is on my list. I have a Maverick 732 that has better range than the Smoke.

I bought a Smoke, used it twice & then put it away. When I went to use it again the meat probe was innop, reads whacky temps & completely useless now. Of course the pit probe works flawlessly, I packed it away in disgust & haven't used it in a year. I keep saying that I will replace the probe but the signal couldn't make it from my back deck to my living room which is about 30 feet. I love my Thermapen but the Smoke was a giant bust for me.

I have the Smoke and have noticed it depends where I place it in the room, some spots it cuts out others places it’s fine. I have not changed the battery in a while so it could be signal strength but it may not like rock walls.

I have the Smoke and it works great. I got a Fireboard with my LSG and the Smoke just sits now. The Fireboard is so much better and dose so much more.

I had an old 732 that finally died and was replaced with a fireboard. It is miles ahead of anything else that I have used and was evident over the weekend. I forgot my fireboard at my house when I went to my parents (3hrs) to smoke a Berkshire full shoulder from Snake River Farms. I had to go to the local store and buy a Weber iGrill 2 (decent little unit) but its range sucks compared to my fireboard and it is just a little more clunky in terms of how its controlled via the app.

Back