THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cabledawg

I am looking for a thermometer to measure the internal temp of my smoker. I have seen some use a probe stuck through a potato and some with a clip that attaches to the grate. Which one do you prefer? What brand do you recommend?

Go on down to Brethren sales and ventures, about 3/4 down on the Home Page.

Lots of choices there. I use one at grate level from Spicewine. (through the wall probe)

A very excellent high quality "made in USA" thermometer is a Tel Tru brand. I bought two of these for my horizontal smoker. These things are dead accurate and very sensitive to even the smallest changes in temps. A bit pricey though. And you have to buy the install kit (which is basically just a washer and nut to mount the thermometer) separately. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.teltru.com/c-17-barbecue.aspx

Another very good, and much more affordable thermometer is the Old Smokey brand. It is half the price of a Tel Tru and it comes with the install kit. I bought two of these for my UDS. I'm not sure where these are made. It doesn't say on their website or packaging. Though they are definitely not as high of a quality as the Tel Tru's, they work just fine. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.oldsmokey.com/Accessories/accessorygroup.html

I am looking for a thermometer to measure the internal temp of my smoker. I have seen some use a probe stuck through a potato and some with a clip that attaches to the grate. Which one do you prefer? What brand do you recommend?

I use a maverick et732 which has the grate clips. Way less space than a chunk of potato which I used before. So I have been very happy with them. PM Steve at 5-0 BBQ. He will hook you up.

Back