The weber smokefire

I've had 10 pellet grills over the past decade. I was always looking for the one grill that can do everything or more cooking space. I finally found it in the WSCG, but then I found it again in the Weber SmokeFire.

I've had several Traegers, a GMG, a Memphis Pro, a couple Camp Chefs. The SmokeFire is actually the best pellet grill on the market from what I've seen (especially in the sub $1500 cost bracket). Yes, it has some quirks, one being that you need to use drip pans for LnS fatty cooks, but it is less susceptible to grease fires than the Memphis grills, even without the pans. I had numerous grease fires with my Pro, not one with the SmokeFire.

Nothing I've had grills at high temps like the SmokeFire. It actually imparts smoke you can taste and truly identify above 275 degrees. I've made a couple frozen pizzas at 450 I really didn't like that well because there was too much smoke. I've never had this on another pellet grill. I've also never satisfactorily reverse seared steaks on a pellet grill before the SmokeFire either without the aid of another grill or GrillGrates to boost the sear. The one exception might be the Memphis, but if it was ribeyes, I ended up with a grease fire. I haven't had that on the SmokeFire and I don't use drip pans for steaks.

I had a SmokeFire at launch, got scared, and returned it after about 3 weeks. I had a couple flameouts and could see all the grease from a couple fatty LnS cooks in the bottom of the barrel and panicked a bit when Weber was pretty quiet at the launch. However, I had cooked enough stuff on it, when I replaced it with a CampChef (still as much or more smoke that any other pellet grill I've owned), I was disappointed, especially when you take into account the mediocre high temp abilities of most other pellet grills. After seeing the updated auger, chute insert and firmware updates over several months, I bought another during the 4th of July sale they had. I've run well over 200 lbs of pellets through it with zero problems and have cooked about every type of cook on it. Everything from butts and a brisket to reverse seared steaks, grilled burgers, baked pizza, and roasted chickens. I do use drip pans when doing LnS now. I have their wet smoke kit to hold a 9x13 aluminum pan below the grate and actually have a second on the way.

What I and I think many are struggling with is that it is different than most other pellet grills on the market. You don't need drip pans in anything else I've seev (except the Memphis if you want to avoid fires). I finally decided that I always use one in my WSCG for LnS, so why is it so bad to use in a pellet grill too.

I've done 2-3 overnight cooks and with the hopper insert installed and the finger guard removed have had no problems with pellet feed overnight or on any cook for that matter.

In the end my primary two grills are the most overpriced charcoal grill on the market (but performs worth every penny) and one of the most botched roll-outs in recent grilling history (along with the Reqtec bullseye and MB 560). I am beyond happy with both. I had drooled over a MAK for the past couple years, but with the SmokeFire have lost all interest now. I could probably swing a MAK, a Hasty Bake, Outlaw, etc. but see no need. Are the Webers going to last decades like those others? Maybe not, but neither does my desire to have something different.

Just some pictures I snagged from other smokefire users in the Facebook groups I'm in. I only cook for 2 so will never fill mine up but others do and frequently. Not saying it doesn't have issue but I do feel they are overstated.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1599898370183.jpg
    FB_IMG_1599898370183.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 161
  • FB_IMG_1599898363486.jpg
    FB_IMG_1599898363486.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 162
  • FB_IMG_1599898333575.jpg
    FB_IMG_1599898333575.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 161
  • FB_IMG_1599898278885.jpg
    FB_IMG_1599898278885.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Has there been any confirmation to this rumor?

Now that Weber fixed most of the problems and The smokefire gets good reviews, I’m actually toying with the idea of getting one as long as they have the same return policy.

It’s my understanding that a lot of the current inventory in stores do not contain the upgrades and you need to contact Weber to order the upgrade kits and preform the upgrades yourself.

If I do decide to get one, I plan to wait until the new grills hit the stores next spring hoping that they will be up to date on all of the factory upgrades.

If the recall rumor is true it will practically guarantee any smokefire sold next year will be up to date.

Thanks!

It was posted by Chris Allingham, owner of the Virtual Weber Bullet site, which has been around for 20+ years.

This is not a rumor. Chris would not post a rumor.

It was posted by Chris Allingham, owner of the Virtual Weber Bullet site, which has been around for 20+ years.

This is not a rumor. Chris would not post a rumor.

Until Weber puts out a press release stating they are recalling unsold units then it's a rumor. Even Chris Allingham doesn't give a source in that thread and he says "I am told..." but he doesn't cite who told him this information.

The Virtual Weber Bullet website is not affiliated with Weber in any way, which means that just because someone on that site makes a comment it doesn't necessarily make it credible. I don't know anything about Chris and he may very well be telling the truth, but to take a non-cited forum post as proof of anything is quite silly.

Until Weber puts out a press release stating they are recalling unsold units then it's a rumor. Even Chris Allingham doesn't give a source in that thread and he says "I am told..." but he doesn't cite who told him this information.

The Virtual Weber Bullet website is not affiliated with Weber in any way, which means that just because someone on that site makes a comment it doesn't necessarily make it credible. I don't know anything about Chris and he may very well be telling the truth, but to take a non-cited forum post as proof of anything is quite silly.

Not a rumor.

The way I've seen it described, it isn't a recall. They aren't planning to contact customers as far as I know. Calling back dealer stock for upgrades can be done quietly, so as I understand it that's what they would do.

I can't find anything from Weber or any dealer stating they are doing a recall. Can you?

Chris does not post rumors. If there was any chance this was just a rumor, he would not post it.

I've been visiting that site since 2002. I know Chris's modus operandi. He's not a rumor mongerer. His site is not associated with Weber, but he has very good connections within Weber.

Chris does not post rumors. If there was any chance this was just a rumor, he would not post it.

I've been visiting that site since 2002. I know Chris's modus operandi. He's not a rumor mongerer. His site is not associated with Weber, but he has very good connections within Weber.

Too bad Chris didn't give any sources or anything. I'm not even challenging his claim, but at this point there is no way to verify what he stated. So we have one persons word and that's all there is. You shouldn't believe something simply because someone stated it. This is why people cite sources so the veracity of their claim can be verified.

Since you're so comfortable taking 3rd party hearsay as fact then maybe you should consider getting a job as a reporter at the Atlantic? ::wink:

too bad chris didn't give any sources or anything. I'm not even challenging his claim, but at this point there is no way to verify what he stated. So we have one persons word and that's all there is. You shouldn't believe something simply because someone stated it. This is why people cite sources so the veracity of their claim can be verified.

Since you're so comfortable taking 3rd party hearsay as fact then maybe you should consider getting a job as a reporter at the atlantic? ::wink:

( yawn )

The Weber “dumpsterfire” made me look for other options, thank GAWD I found MAK in the process...

You bought it at the perfect time! I did call Caleb at MAK when you bought yours but there was a lot of uncertainty in all of our lives in Feb and March. Besides spending $3k on a product that we never even saw before added to our concerns.

You bought it at the perfect time! I did call Caleb at MAK when you bought yours but there was a lot of uncertainty in all of our lives in Feb and March. Besides spending $3k on a product that we never even saw before added to our concerns.

I hear ya... and understand

I also frequent TVWBB, and would agree with Lynn that Chris is a well-connected and reliable source of information on all things Weber.

What really annoys me the most about the whole Smoke Fire debacle were all the Weber shills like Meathead, Kevin Coleman, and to a lesser extent Harry Soo, discrediting good and descent “youtubers” who were posting their honest experiences with the grill. Meathead is the most despicable of the bunch. He acts as if Max Good is the only authority on grill quality and viciously attacked detractors. At one point he posted a comment about “getting his gun” when someone challenged him. Of course that comment is no longer on Facebook but I read it with my own eyes. Then Amazing Ribs bent over backwards for Weber, and tried as hard as they could to put a positive spin on that grill. Instead of fully testing it and then posting their findings, like they do with every other review, they released their findings a little at a time. It was almost as if they were trying to squelch the negative press the SmokeFire was receiving. Meathead has zero credibility with me now. I could also get into the private email exchange that I had with him over his nutty behavior, which he heavily edited, didn’t provide context, and then posted in his members forum. I only wish that I still had access to that conversation in my email. He’s a real dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back