THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'd probably pick the Jack. You can compete in the Royal Open anytime you want so even if you never qualified again you could still do the Royal.

Of course the first time we qualified we chose the Royal, we didn't even know what the Jack was.

The Jack, hands down.

There is no money to win at the Olympics, but nevertheless it is much more prestigious to win a medal there than any compensated professional event. If prize money is your criteria for selecting the premier event, neither the Jack or the Royal are in the running.

Actually there is mucho money handed out to olympic winners, each individual country sets that amount. plus you get the endorsements which are worth a bunch more.

That said, The Jack seems to be much more prestigious due to the draw. As in anyone can go to the royal open event but there isn't an open at the jack.

I still haven't been to the Jack, so keep that in mind.

The Jack may get the edge on atmosphere. It's hard to beat Ms. Mary Bobo's, the distillery, the holler, the hill, etc..... On the other hand the exclusivity may exclude some of the best teams in any given year due to pure chance.

If it's pure competition and a belief that to be the best, you have to beat the best, then I've got to go with setting up outside Kemper Arena. Anybody that has won a qualifier has a spot waiting for them. Whether they show up to cook is up to them, and not chance. At the same time, I DO NOT look at the Jack as a lesser Championship.

That's a tough decision to have to make, but it's a good one!

They sell "The World Championship of BBQ" and Guido "brings this back" from the contest to TGI Fridays. I think it detracts from all the tradition of "The Jack". Now I am in marketing and retail, its a great model, but atleast pay the guys that enable you to claim it is the "World Championship" and you "brought back these recipes" from there. If it is the best of the best (oh thats in GA), pay them like it. The payouts are laughable at the Jack. I wont get started on the lottery system of selecting teams.

Exactly. I'd say more, but won't burn any bridges...

Oh, and I would also pick the Jack as well. I like the atmosphere better in Lynchburg, compared to the Royal. Don't have tolock your cookers up either in Lynchburg...

Heck yes, pay more to the winning cooks to help pay for the trip. Other then adding a 3 year automatic paid entry for the GC I wouldnt change much.

What if you HAD to choose? Your team is invited to cook in both the Royal and the Jack. Due to whatever reason, budgetary considerations, family or work (time off) concerns etc, you could only cook in one, which would it be and why?
George, which one would you choose?

Officially... Houston Rodeo is called World BBQ Chanmpionship. Not sure why. As I think 99% of the cookers are from Houston... When I cooked it, I was considered a foreigner... and I'm only from Illinois...

Officially... Houston Rodeo is called World BBQ Chanmpionship. Not sure why. As I think 99% of the cookers are from Houston... When I cooked it, I was considered a foreigner... and I'm only from Illinois...

You were. What's your point?:wink:

Not that I expect to see either but the Jack. If you turn it down and win a GC later in life you may not get the pick that time

You were. What's your point?:wink:

Yeah, can't really argue with you... I need to get back, so I can wear my boots and cowboy hat again... I got all fancy. Even had a belt buckle...

I was stylin.. Or whatever that cowboy talk is... :lol:

Yeah, can't really argue with you... I need to get back, so I can wear my boots and cowboy hat again... I got all fancy. Even had a belt buckle...

I was stylin.. Or whatever that cowboy talk is... :lol:

HLSR is unique. I describe it to people that have never been as a combination of MIM and Mardi Gras on steroids.

Now there is a idea :)

Yes.. but it's only harder to qualify based on their selection process not performance. Some of the best teams in the country do not get the chance to prove themselves that year.

I would not be surprised at some point if another competition comes out of nowhere that dubs themselves a World Championship. I've seen it happen in two unrelated sports. The unfortunate part is that it bastardizes what a World Championship is but people will go where the money is or be able to win a title even if it's watered down.

I agree,I would think that the Jack should have around 200 teams,at least as many as the invitational Royal, and the pay-out if it is considered the "World Championship" should be at least somewhere in the 75-100K range ?? How can there be a "World Championship" with only 70-some teams,especially when alot of teams won GC's ,but didn't get drawn.I would think the way to go would be anyone that won a GC in a certain year would get an invite.

Meridian is also a World Championship...... its all words
It will be interesting seeing what happens over the next
couple of years

Back