The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Budget is $1500 ish.

I am looking for the biggest smoker possible for the budget.

Yes would like to sear grill.

Unfortunately at $1500 your options are pretty limited if direct fire searing/grilling is a requirement. If you can bump it up to $2000, you’ll open up to a couple of nice options. But, something to consider. If “size” is your priority, than perhaps consider other ways to grill/sear. Honestly, most pellet cookers do a decent job of basic grilling. Toss a cast iron griddle on them and they can sear quite well. Sometimes getting a bit creative really opens up options to you.

If size is your highest priority and $1500 is the strict budget, I’d buy a Smokin Brothers Premiere 30”. You won’t have direct flame, but as mentioned, there are easy ways around that.

If direct grilling is a must, for a few hundred more, I’d buy the Kuma Platinum pellet grill. There are quite a few things I really like about it. It’s constructed very much like the MAK 1 Star, which would be another fantastic option.

If you wanna chat by phone, just shoot me a PM :)

Unfortunately at $1500 your options are pretty limited if direct fire searing/grilling is a requirement.

Ah, but there is the excellent PG500 for $1800 linky

You get an honest-to-god restaurant quality chargriller (people see these top out at over 1,000°) and an indirect section that is to die for. You just can't burn stuff over there. Perfect babybacks in 3 hours. Cook at 600° indirect if you like. I've got the PG1000, which is the insulated version and I can honestly say that it's the best grill/smoker I've ever owned, and I've had a couple. Oh and it's all stainless, so no paint issues to worry about. Ever.

Ah, but there is the excellent PG500 for $1800 linky

You get an honest-to-god restaurant quality chargriller (people see these top out at over 1,000°) and an indirect section that is to die for. You just can't burn stuff over there. Perfect babybacks in 3 hours. Cook at 600° indirect if you like. I've got the PG1000, which is the insulated version and I can honestly say that it's the best grill/smoker I've ever owned, and I've had a couple.

Yes, another excellent possibility! I love what I see in the PG lineup. The only thing that has held me back from serious consideration is the small (for my needs) indirect cooking area. If they were to stretch it out another 10-12 inches, I’d probably end up buying a PG1000 :)

The cooking areas of the 500 and 1000 are the same, it's just a different cabinet. There's also room uptop with the upper rack which is also indirect, but will be a bit warmer up there due to being at the top of the cabinet. So, things will get done a bit faster up there, but that's why there's a warming drawer. :)

The cooking areas of the 500 and 1000 are the same, it's just a different cabinet. There's also room uptop with the upper rack which is also indirect, but will be a bit warmer up there due to being at the top of the cabinet. So, things will get done a bit faster up there, but that's why there's a warming drawer. :)

Yep, I have taken a pretty serious look at them. The reason I said the 1000 over the 500 was that I like the insulated aspect and the aesthetics. I really do wish I could make the 18x18 primary low n slow area work for me (unfortunately the upper indirect grate doesn’t add enough sq”)... but it just doesn’t. I have a large family and we love to entertain. Talk Cookshack into making a “stretched” unit and they may very well have a new member in the Cookshack family [emoji4]

Remind me, how many sq” of additional space does that indirect upper grate add? That’s considered zone 3, right? I know I can look it up, but figured you may just know off the top of your head... lol.

**edit: Just took a look. 10x18” of upper additional indirect heat. What’s the temp differential between main grate and upper on the indirect side (zones 2 and 3, right?)?

Last edited:
Remind me, how many sq” of additional space does that indirect upper grate add? That’s considered zone 3, right? I know I can look it up, but figured you may just know off the top of your head... lol.

Not off the top of my head, but I did manage to find it. 784 square inches: 10" x 18" direct cooking; 18"x18" indirect; 10"x28" top rack; warming drawer 19" x 13" x 4".

So zone 3 (yep you were right) from the above is 10"x18".

Whoops, had this sitting on my desktop and it seems you found the same stuff I did. From what I've seen this weekend, zone 3 is ~20°F hotter than zone 4.

Last edited:
Budget is $1500 ish.
I am looking for the biggest smoker possible for the budget.
Yes would like to sear grill.

Take a look at the Blazn Grid Iron with grill grates, should be close-ish with your budget. I've seen many people use them on the facebook group and like them well enough. When I want to sear I'll either use my stovetop + cast iron or my weber performer.

You guys are killing me. Made me surf pellets again. Found a place 45 minutes away that sells 5 different brands. Guess where I'm going tomorrow. Just to look...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ok. Went to look. Really wanted to see the little gmg but they sold the demo unit and had zero in stock. That pitts and spitts is a beast as far as pellet cookers go. The gmg line is cheap and "feels" cheap. The camp chef felt even cheaper. I'm digging the smokin brothers. Was nice to put hands on all these cookers.

that's a steal. looked up that store, none here. I could order online but shipping seems to be cost prohibitive. 50 cents per pound is reasonable for me.

what's the cost of lumberjack if ordered in bulk?
Found this. Not sure if an hour is too far.
d6c74e96d62ef9457878c41e25a659fe.jpg

Ok. Went to look. Really wanted to see the little gmg but they sold the demo unit and had zero in stock. That pitts and spitts is a beast as far as pellet cookers go. The gmg line is cheap and "feels" cheap. The camp chef felt even cheaper. I'm digging the smokin brothers. Was nice to put hands on all these cookers.

I got a Pitts and Spitts a couple of weeks ago. It is really solid. Probably way overbuilt. it has functioned flawlessly so far. I’ve done a couple low and slow cooks and I grilled some steaks, and it performed perfectly each time.

I'm digging the smokin brothers.

Although I have never seen one in person (no local dealer), they to have caught my attention! I have read a lot about them and have talked to numerous owners/dealers. From all that I have gathered I am impressed.

Would love to hear you elaborate a bit and explain your unbiased and straight up thoughts re: the Smokin’ Bros... the good, the bad and the ugly.

Which model(s) were you able to put your hands on?

Although I have never seen one in person (no local dealer), they to have caught my attention! I have read a lot about them and have talked to numerous owners/dealers. From all that I have gathered I am impressed.

Would love to hear you elaborate a bit and explain your unbiased and straight up thoughts re: the Smokin’ Bros... the good, the bad and the ugly.

Sounds like you know more than i do. I was able to play with all the models. The ones with the front insulated fb just don't speak/appeal to me. Personal preference as the premier is the better model with welded construction and better controller. I'm not looking for size as i have other big cookers. Looking for a small, quality, hopefully USA pellet cooker. The only bad is that the Blazn models have a LOT more options at the same price point and have the traditional offset look I'm looking for. Also has a better cart than the Smokin Brothers, SS front shelf and a removable pot. That's not really a bad on the cooker itself though.

I haven't seen a blazin in person, but I have seen a smokin brothers. I would go with pitts and spitts, blazin, or yoder. Not much difference in price, and much heavier metal. I don't see where the smokin brothers is much different than the mass produced models, as far as build material.

Unfortunately at $1500 your options are pretty limited if direct fire searing/grilling is a requirement. If you can bump it up to $2000, you’ll open up to a couple of nice options. But, something to consider. If “size” is your priority, than perhaps consider other ways to grill/sear. Honestly, most pellet cookers do a decent job of basic grilling. Toss a cast iron griddle on them and they can sear quite well. Sometimes getting a bit creative really opens up options to you.

If size is your highest priority and $1500 is the strict budget, I’d buy a Smokin Brothers Premiere 30”. You won’t have direct flame, but as mentioned, there are easy ways around that.

If direct grilling is a must, for a few hundred more, I’d buy the Kuma Platinum pellet grill. There are quite a few things I really like about it. It’s constructed very much like the MAK 1 Star, which would be another fantastic option.

If you wanna chat by phone, just shoot me a PM :)

Well apparently I haven’t done enough research! I haven’t even heard of the Kuma or Smokin Brothers or blazn grills or....

Now I have no idea what to do?!? I guess the grilling and searing isn’t really important as I have a gasser for this but I thought it would be nice to get some smoke on while grilling. So, what would be some options in the $2000 range? I really wanted to stay around $1500 but maybe could go a little higher. Which ones should I look at now and why?

Well apparently I haven’t done enough research! I haven’t even heard of the Kuma or Smokin Brothers or blazn grills or....

Now I have no idea what to do?!? I guess the grilling and searing isn’t really important as I have a gasser for this but I thought it would be nice to get some smoke on while grilling. So, what would be some options in the $2000 range? I really wanted to stay around $1500 but maybe could go a little higher. Which ones should I look at now and why?

Mak or Yoder in my opinion are the 2 best in that price range.

I haven't seen a blazin in person, but I have seen a smokin brothers. I would go with pitts and spitts, blazin, or yoder. Not much difference in price, and much heavier metal. I don't see where the smokin brothers is much different than the mass produced models, as far as build material.

The Smokin Brothers uses a little thicker metal but the price isn't where it should be. I agree that there are better options for the same $$$.

What about the Assassin 36? Anyone use one of these?

I am looking at the Yoder, Assassin, Blazn, and Pitts. Anyone have thoughts on these?

I think you would be happy with any of those choices. I can only really say anything about the Yoder, since that is what I have. You would have a hard time selling me another brand. Had it a little over a year, and I am as happy today, as I was the day it arrived. No issues at all. If you are wanting to grill on it too, I believe the Yoder has the hottest high temp of 600. With the 2 piece diffuser, and grill grates, it is a great grill. It also does a great job of low and slow. It is also the heaviest built, or at least it weighs more than any of the other grills you mentioned. It is a beast. You really should just go with the one you like the best, and you won't regret it.

If I thought I could get anything out of mine ($) I would get a Yoder YS640. All this new cooker talk is giving me the itch

Back