THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I guess if i was going to replace a controller id go with a savannah stoker, infinitely adjustable and highly praised, but would i make that investment for a traeger tailgator? Dunno, i suppose if portability was my number one concern and i wanted something crazy reliable than i might be willing to make that investment. I do think there are cheaper alternatives to getting the flame out situation resolved. Alternatively you just bought that unit not too long ago, id suppose you could return it for defect.

Last edited:
is that grill under warranty Ninja? I bet Traeger would send out a new controller, they have been good to me

this is the controller on my tailgater

it looks identical to the ortech except mine doesn't have a knob for adjusting the P setting. my question would be does the ortech function better than my stock controller other than this manual adjustment to the pause setting?

the temp swings dont bother me but I'm pretty sure that's the same issue leading to the flameouts so I guess it does.

Ninja, behind that black sticker next to the temp display is the p setting button. Get a paper clip and unfold it. Stick it through that black sticker and you should feel the button. You will see the display change to P and the setting.

You want to stay in the 0-4 range. The lower the setting the hotter it runs with fewer temp swings.

This website has a chart that lists the pause times.

http://tipsforbbq.com/Definition/Traeger-P-Setting

I guess if i was going to replace a controller id go with a savannah stoker, infinitely adjustable and highly praised, but would i make that investment for a traeger tailgator? Dunno, i suppose if portability was my number one concern and i wanted something crazy reliable than i might be willing to make that investment. I do think there are cheaper alternatives to getting the flame out situation resolved. Alternatively you just bought that unit not too long ago, id suppose you could return it for defect.

I'm into the grill for $130 plus $70 in pellets so the savanah pid (site says I also need the bezel) will double my investment. the positive is I could take the pid out If I upgrade later and still sell the traeger for a fair recoup. honestly the size of the traeger is just right

is that grill under warranty Ninja? I bet Traeger would send out a new controller, they have been good to me

I'll look into it. it has big temp swings so it could be faulty. I'm still trying to figure out if that $70 ortech controller is an upgrade over whats in there because that would be the ticket.

Ninja, behind that black sticker next to the temp display is the p setting button. Get a paper clip and unfold it. Stick it through that black sticker and you should feel the button. You will see the display change to P and the setting.

You want to stay in the 0-4 range. The lower the setting the hotter it runs with fewer temp swings.

This website has a chart that lists the pause times.

http://tipsforbbq.com/Definition/Traeger-P-Setting

thanks. now let's see if it tightens things up and solves the flameouts.

I'm into the grill for $130 plus $70 in pellets so the savanah pid (site says I also need the bezel) will double my investment. the positive is I could take the pid out If I upgrade later and still sell the traeger for a fair recoup. honestly the size of the traeger is just right

I'll look into it. it has big temp swings so it could be faulty. I'm still trying to figure out if that $70 ortech controller is an upgrade over whats in there because that would be the ticket.

thanks. now let's see if it tightens things up and solves the flameouts.
Personally think the Ortech a definite upgrade and the Savannah Stoker is one of the best controllers on the market.

look in to the warranty Steve or at least call them that is the same controller I had on our old unit that worked flawless once I replaced the original, I think they will send you one.

The Savannah stoker is AMAZING if you decide to go that route. I absolutely love mine and it turned my traeger into a rock solid unit. It has an auto relight feauture as well so I run my overnight and never worry. Haven’t had as much as a hiccup with mine.

I’ve also also auto tuned mine for even better temp control and I pull my deflector and drip pan out and run the auger override with grill gates and have a really good searing setup as well

Smokin Brothers are also another brand I would recommend. They come with Savannah Stoker controllers and they have excellent build quality.

Sacramento CA Group Buy...

Next week, Lumber Jack will be initiating a Group Buy in the Sacramento area. Pickup terminal near downtown. Start checking next week on their site in the Group Buy listing. I'm already in. Thanks!

My pitts and spits maverick 1250 will be ordered 2nd week of October, based on the Facebook group that the owners participate on 6 weeks is the current build time

Next week, Lumber Jack will be initiating a Group Buy in the Sacramento area. Pickup terminal near downtown. Start checking next week on their site in the Group Buy listing. I'm already in. Thanks!

For anyone interested in this Sacramento Group Buy, I just got an email that they need just one more participant to complete the order, so give them call direct now.

For anyone interested in this Sacramento Group Buy, I just got an email that they need just one more participant to complete the order, so give them call direct now.

Perhaps it’s somewhere in this thread, but what are the details of this group buy? I live in the Sacramento area :)

Perhaps it’s somewhere in this thread, but what are the details of this group buy? I live in the Sacramento area :)

Hey Bro! Give them a call and you'll get all the details. I've got a total of 13 40# bags coming. Prices will vary, depending on what you get, but with shipping and everything totaled, I'm looking at a little less than $0.40/#, which is awesome. I don't have the space to store it, but for that price, I'll find the space!:biggrin1:

Finally went out

Monday afternoon, I went out to cook a tenderloin, fired up the Pitboss and got no smoke after a few minutes. Pulled racks and pan out...no ignition. It lasted three and a half years. Not bad. I havent opened it up to check the fuse or ignitor yet, but I will have it by this weekend for sure. Just had to cook burgers in a pan...weird :drama::wacko:

Monday afternoon, I went out to cook a tenderloin, fired up the Pitboss and got no smoke after a few minutes. Pulled racks and pan out...no ignition. It lasted three and a half years. Not bad. I havent opened it up to check the fuse or ignitor yet, but I will have it by this weekend for sure. Just had to cook burgers in a pan...weird :drama::wacko:

JermoQ...it happens to all pellet poopers...except for new MAK owners that is. It's happened to me more times than it should have. Bummer...

If the fan is blowing, your igniter rod has burned out. You could have put a firestarter in the burn pot or started the pellets with a torch.

Back