The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Can anyone recommend a good griddle for a MAK 2 Star? I waited until the last minute and now I need something for Friday night smash burgers. GAH!

Can anyone recommend a good griddle for a MAK 2 Star? I waited until the last minute and now I need something for Friday night smash burgers. GAH!

On the MAK, my first choice would be flipping a few panels of GrillGrates upside down. Any chance you have GrillGrates? If you don’t have GG’s, then I’d head to Walmart and purchase a Lodge cast-iron griddle. That said, I do a ton of griddle cooking… and there is no substitute for a freestanding large griddle in your backyard (think Blackstone or Camp Chef) :)

Thanks Robb. I had a set of grill grates for my Kamado Joe but ended up selling them with the grill. I don’t have a ton of space for a dedicated griddle but if I find one on sale.....
Will most likely pick up the Lodge.

Wow, great video and great to see Weber throw it’s hat into the ring.

They don’t make junk, and so it will be interesting to see what they have in store for the pellet grill market.

Picked up a dozen Lumberjack bags on a work trip today-finally was near a Rural King. I'm interested in seeing if I can tell a difference with these pellets.

A buddy of mine has been asking questions about an upcoming prime rib cook on his MAK 2 Star. Another buddy of mine chimed in a couple of days ago with a suggestion to cook @ 275° for the entire duration of the cook, mentioning that more often than not a sear is not necessary as a set temp of 275° provides a satisfactory Maillard reaction. That got me thinking. Bought a tri-tip, seasoned it this morning and let it dry brine all day. Tonight, instead of a reverse or forward sear, I decided to remove the Flame Zone covers and cook at 295° start to finish directly over the open FZ on the main grate, flipping one time when the internal temp hit 95°. 45 mins prior to the cook, I placed the tri-tip in the freezer, wanting it to be as cold as possible which would give it more time to experience a more intense Maillard reaction. The reason I cooked at 295° instead of 300° is because of how the Pellet Boss controller handles the fan speed. At 295° it will not let it exceed 80% of its max rpms... which translates to more smoke. Also, knowing that the Maillard reaction starts at around 350°, I know from previous testing that with the Flame Zone covers removed, the main grate temp was probably closer to 375°. All of this said, here was the final product. No char, just a golden brown sear. Removed it at 142° as we prefer medium. I was pleased with the outcome and it was a brain dead easy cook which took about an hour [emoji846]

I do not believe that the outcome would be like this without the Flame Zone. If you do not have the FZ, I’d suggest a set temp of 350° on the controller.

8c478ea5abc705e294ffc352059324bd.jpg

1090b1bb088e9eb2eb9597fa75c6b8f8.jpg

Have a question for the Yoder YS 640 owners.

A month or two ago my Yoder started overshooting the initial set temp by about 100 degrees, then runs about 25 degrees above the set temp and finally settles in around 10-15 above after a few hours for the rest of the cook.

It used to only overshoot about 30-50 degrees on startup and would settle in +/- 10-15 degrees of set temp. I’ve contacted Yoder and they said it’s still within parameters but it’s not running like it has the last 4-5 months before. It’s a 2014 model that I picked up used. I’ve been running lumberjack pellets since I’ve owned it. I run the damper about 6” out all the time.

Today I upgraded to the ceramic igniter, checked the burn grate for warping, cleaned the RTD and ordered the SB188 sealant to reseal the Fire box. I’ve already scraped the old seal and cleaned with alcohol so once my amazon order shows up I’ll reseal the fire box.

Anyone have any other ideas or have had this issue before?

I haven't had this issue but from what I've read when doing research before buying the YS640, it sounds like your thermocouple is on it's way out. Do you clean it from time to time?

Yeah I’ve cleaned it twice since I’ve owned it. I took some sandpaper too it yesterday and took it back down to silver. I’ll see how it does this week after the firebox reseal and cleaning the probe.

I guess a new thermocouple might be in my future as well

Yeah. Sounds like a dirty TC. That sucks. It doesn't sound like Yoder customer service is that great??!! Resealing the fire box sounds like a hassle! I was leaning towards a Yoder but not sure now.

That is Yoder’s response to most anything it seems (I had one for about a year). I also had to reseal the fire pot and replace the igniter. Yoder, by design, doesn’t hold a real tight temp range, but it can certainly cook some great food.

I attributed me needing to reseal the fire pot because of all the grilling I did (higher heat). On a bright note, I see that yoder now offers a grease guard for the front...wish they had it when I had mine.....so this wouldn’t happen or at least it would be hidden

5a75c4dcadf766c8d5327d363b53df8b.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saw a pic this morning of a Yoder ys1500 loaded down (almost) with ribs. Not at all knocking the Yoders as I used to be so drawn to the roominess of the 1500 model. That “draw” kind of went away when I realized first hand a couple of months ago just how roomy the new MAK 2 Stars really are with all grates in place. It’s amazing what headroom can do in a cooker! It can be very deceptive when looking at a cooker from the outside... kind of like stick burners vs cabinets :)

Big ole “Y” vs my lil “M”...
12ea523bee8117a5fa8cdae7520e1809.jpg

46fc94e5cce2467f73f4c6e5674cf932.jpg

Saw a pic this morning of a Yoder ys1500 loaded down (almost) with ribs. Not at all knocking the Yoders as I used to be so drawn to the roominess of the 1500 model. That “draw” kind of went away when I realized first hand a couple of months ago just how roomy the new MAK 2 Stars really are with all grates in place. It’s amazing what headroom can do in a cooker! It can be very deceptive when looking at a cooker from the outside... kind of like stick burners vs cabinets :)

Big ole “Y” vs my lil “M”...
12ea523bee8117a5fa8cdae7520e1809.jpg

46fc94e5cce2467f73f4c6e5674cf932.jpg

That's why shirley fabrication sells mostly straight backs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know some members of the MAK family do not have MAK Grills Mobile (WiFi module). Some by choice and some because they just don’t want the additional expense... and I completely get both positions. Several years ago I bought MGM, tried it numerous times and found it to be clunky. Returned it for a refund. I wanted to love it, but I ended up feeling the opposite of love for it... lol. Fast forward to last year and I decided to give MGM another shot. Yes, their were a few wrinkles... but since then, MAK has ironed out the wrinkles and I must say that I am extremely impressed with the stability and usefulness of MGM. For quite some time, I not only had lost interest in it, but I really thought that I’d rarely use it because the MAK is already easy enough. Now that I once again have MGM, I have come to realize just how mistaken I was.

Example from just today. Knowing I had a busy morning ahead of me, knowing we’d be in church this morning and knowing that my family would be “starving” when we arrived home... I decided to swing by the store this morning and grab some chicken leg quarters. Brought them home, cleaned them up, applied rub and shortly thereafter put them on the MAK which was cruising at 200°. Made sure I was connected to MGM from my phone and off we went. I started these leg quarters 5 hours prior to lunch time.
-They went for 3 hours at 200°
-From my phone, at the 3 hour mark, I noticed that they were at 152° so I bumped the Pellet Boss to 275°.
-At the 4 hour mark they were sitting at 170° but I like leg quarters to come off between 182-185°, so again from my phone I bumped the temp to 325°.
-Arrived home at the 4:45 hour mark and quickly applied a glaze to the legs (MAK Honey Stinger sauce diluted with some apple juice and raw honey) and bumped the temp to 350° to quickly finish things off.
-At the 5:15 hour mark they were all probing right around my desired internal temp and off they came.

Lunch was served with minimal effort and we ate pretty darn good today. Things would not have been anywhere close to this easy without MGM... and the timing would have been much different had I not been able to keep an eye on it. Love it!!! [emoji846]

96a061642e623d60e1b6fbd73438a9a2.jpg

08c9b73a28247b179a69db7848f320af.jpg

d2ccb7fb76707f3c46cc50813638f31b.jpg

d549bec9ac0afbf72ea10d8fcb50501b.jpg

Back