The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Brisket wrapped and in a cooler. Was probe tender in 7 hours(9 lb Brisket)! Smoked at 245, then bumped to 270 after wrapping. Much quicker than cooking the same brisket at roughly the same temp on my wsm which is surprising.

Pics to come.

Before i wrapped
EeXmj49.jpg

Looking good! When you post pics take each one exactly as is... them remove that piece and take the next exactly as is... :)

By the way. I took this pic. Notice the grease along the left front which indicates the lid was collecting grease. I think that has something to do with it but how would it get on the top lid? Note the brisket was no where close to there.

vvNViDR.jpg

By the way. I took this pic. Notice the grease along the left front which indicates the lid was collecting grease. I think that has something to do with it but how would it get on the top lid? Note the brisket was no where close to there.

vvNViDR.jpg

I see one issue, but would like to see more pics before saying anything.

My first thought is your cooking on the grill grates. Which are a square edge verse the normal grates that are rounded. The grill grates might not drip off grease like the rounded grates. The grease might travel on the square edge to the sides instead of dripping off.

Have to hear what RWalters see's in your pictures.

Going to post more in a few. What do you see?

As mentioned above, the MAK sear grate sits high... above the lip of the cooking chamber. If you are not using it for high heat grilling where drippings are immediately vaporized, you will experience grease clinging to and running in the direction gravity pulls it. Ditch the sear grate for low n slows and that will eliminate one issue. As soon as you break it down and post pics along the way, we’ll see if we can’t find any other culprits.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, the MAK sear grate sits high... above the lip of the cooking chamber. If you are not using it for high heat grilling where drippings are immediately vaporized, you will experience grease clinging to and running in the direction gravity pulls it. Ditch the sear grate for low n slows and that will eliminate one issue. As soon as you break it down and post pics along the way, we’ll see if we can’t find any other culprits.

I think you may be right about the seer grates. I havent had this issue before, but i also havent done any long cooks before today.

Some videos: https://imgur.com/a/jqGiVKL

That video clearly shows an excessive amount of grease on the rim of the cooking chamber. Wouldn’t be surprised if that is the only problem. If so, that was easy :)

Thanks. Lesson learned. I will only use the seer grates when actually seering/grilling. My patio should be done soon so next cook should also be on flat ground. Thanks for the helps gents.

Also, pics of the finished product. Came out great! https://imgur.com/a/hQCiyzS

Thanks. Lesson learned. I will only use the seer grates when actually seering/grilling. My patio should be done soon so next cook should also be on flat ground. Thanks for the helps gents.

Oh man... that brisket has more juices flowing than your MAK did... lol. Nicely done [emoji41]

We had a couple over for steaks the other night. He is a good cook with a deck full of smokers and grills and his wife has said no more in no uncertain terms. Cooked 2" prime strips at 250 on the Daniel Boone, finished with a sear on the Genesis to medium rare. They are retired and eat at expensive restaurants all the time and she said it was the best steak she had eaten since...well, since the last time I cooked them steaks on the DB! The next thing I knew, she was asking how much my DB cost and whether they could fit it on their deck (they can). He hadn't brought it up to her because it was a waste of time, and now they are shopping for a pooper. Maybe I should get a job selling poopers at the traveling Costco pooper show!

We had a couple over for steaks the other night. He is a good cook with a deck full of smokers and grills and his wife has said no more in no uncertain terms. Cooked 2" prime strips at 250 on the Daniel Boone, finished with a sear on the Genesis to medium rare. They are retired and eat at expensive restaurants all the time and she said it was the best steak she had eaten since...well, since the last time I cooked them steaks on the DB! The next thing I knew, she was asking how much my DB cost and whether they could fit it on their deck (they can). He hadn't brought it up to her because it was a waste of time, and now they are shopping for a pooper. Maybe I should get a job selling poopers at the traveling Costco pooper show!

Love it!!! A job selling poopers, eh? I’ve told my wife on more than one occasion that I am really in the wrong line of work. I am sometimes dumbfounded by how many poopers I have sold with absolutely zero compensation. I can’t help but wonder what that might look like were I getting paid... lol.

My driveway has small ridge in the middle and slopes off on both sides from the middle. It is a small pitch, but I put my 2 star on the right side of the middle so that the grease runs into the grease pan.

Was chatting w/ a friend this morning regarding pellet grills in general. We are both pelletheads. I thought part of our conversation could actually be beneficial to some of us that have experienced a hiccup or two with our pellet grills in the time we’ve had them (there is no such thing as a hiccup free/challenge free cooker... the type of hiccups and challenges just change depending on cooker type)... and especially helpful to those that are looking at the possibility of buying a pellet grill for the first time. With rare exception, pellet grills are typically very reliable cooking devices... especially as you ascend the ladder quality wise.

One of the most common things that I see from non-pellet grill owners is that they are not interested in pellet grills because of all of the moving parts and the fact that moving parts break. Oh yeah, and the electronics. I also see occasional levels of frustration from current pellet grill owners (all makes/models) when something does break or when working with a manufacturer to remedy something that is not quite right.

That said, here are a few of my thoughts...

Let's say a person does 2 low n slow cooks/month. Person A uses charcoal/chunks, person B burns sticks and person C uses pellets. Well, one of the common things you hear from person A and B is that they don't use pellet cookers because of "all the moving parts" and the reality that moving parts can break or act up. Now for those of us that cook on pellet cookers, I would venture to guess that 98% of us spend less than 5 hours/year replacing parts or dealing with our grills "acting up". Way more often than not, we turn the grill on and proceed to cook... and when all is said and done it ends up being a very uneventful cook with fantastic results. Back to person A and B. Sure, they have nothing to worry about when it comes to "all the moving parts"... and perhaps their cookers are stable and don't "act up"... BUT, the amount of time over the course of a year that is spent in stabilizing temps, keeping temps swings within reason, losing sleep, adding fuel, cleaning ash, etc far exceeds 5 hours/year. At a minimum, with a fuel efficient and stable charcoal cooker like a kamado, you are investing at least 1 hour of your time for every cook in managing and assuring that things go as desired. 1 hour per cook 2x/mo = 24 hours/year... approx 5x the amount of time required to deal with the occasional broken part or correct the rare flameout situation or "whatever" on a pellet grill. Move away from kamados to something less efficient/stable and the gap widens tremendously.

Looking at pellet grills through these lenses helps me to see that the occasional issue is really no big deal after all. It's still the easiest/best performing/least amount of invested time option for me if that's one of my requirements in a backyard cooker. And with a busy family... I have found it to be a very high priority! Because of the minimal fuss of my my pellet cooker, I am able to cook way better food way more often for family/friends than with any other style of outdoor cooker... and I have tried!! I call that a win!!

Just some Tuesday afternoon ramblings... :)

Back