THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grilled Pork Chops with Maple Syrup-Brandy Glaze

I started out with a couple of thick-cut bone-in pork loin chops. I brined them for two hours in Dr. BBQ's simple brine, which I can't post here without infringing on his copyright. It really is simple, with k-salt and turbo sugar as the primary ingredients.

I rinsed them, and seasoned with fresh ground black pepper -- no salt needed after the brine.

They were grilled on both direct and indirect heat until the IT hit 145 degrees. I flipped and basted with the glaze about three rotations.

The glaze was inspired by my desire to use maple syrup with a pork chop, with the assistance of multiple recipes I found on the internets. Basically, it was real maple syrup, brandy, dijon mustard, garlic, and a touch of apple cider vinegar. I simmered it, then strained it to make a glaze I could brush on during the cook.

I plated it, and added a little more of the glaze. Since there is no "short bus rule" on this TD, I plated on a bed of wild rice with garlic butter. But, it really added nothing. The pork chop was awesome by itself. I can't believe I never brined chops before. I will from now on.

The maple syrup worked even better than I expected. I don't know how much the Brandy contributed. There was only about a teaspoon of vinegar, but it balanced the sweetness of the syrup perfectly.

I love this one -- so it will probably get a zero. :laugh:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CD

Iowa Cut Dry Rubbed Pork Chops

OK... couldn't pass this one up!

3 - 1.2 lb, 2" thick Iowa Cut Pork Loin Chops:

IMG_2392.JPG

Rubbed well with my Butt Rub. Injected with 1 Tablespoon of the rub mixed with 1 cup apple cider.

Matt's Butt Rub

• 1 cup turbinado sugar
  • 1 cup smoked paprika
  • 2/3 cup garlic salt
  • 2/3 cup kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
  • 3 teaspoons oregano leaves
  • 3 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons fresh, finely ground black pepper

IMG_2393.JPG

That's my bulk container for the rub.
These went in the fridge about 3 1/2 hours ago. Charcoal is now coming up to temp.

IMG_2394.JPG

Into the Baby Bullet @ 275º F on hardwood lump with a couple pieces of apple and a couple pieces of oak.

IMG_2395.JPG

After they reached 130ºF internal I cranked the vents wide open and brought the smoker up to 475º for a reverse sear. 10 minutes before they went into the foil to rest, I mopped them with my Coca-Cola KC Style BBQ Sauce and let it get a little caramelized.

Matt's Coca-Cola KC Style BBQ Sauce

• 2 Cups Heinz Tomato Ketchup
  • 2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 3/4 Cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 medium sweet oninon (Vidalia, if possible) - finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic - finely diced
  • 2 tablespoon's liquid smoke
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 3 teaspoons ground black pepper

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a 8 quart pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Out of the foil and ready to eat!

IMG_2402.JPG

I LIKE IT!!!!
IMG_2403.JPG

Tomorrow's dinner & Monday's lunch!
IMG_2405.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Brined the night before in salt water, a splash of cider vinegar, and plenty of rosemary and black pepper. 18 hours later;

Stuffed with Pork Stovetop stuffing, half a raw onion and two stalks of celery. Tied up.

Me tending to the charocal, which doesn't like to catch in steady rain.

The stuffed loin onto the Weber, with some chives on top.

It's done. Rests and then fridged till the evening.

If I need to designate a voting pic, the one below.

Very, very tender. Hit 185 F internal (smack dab in the middle), and as you can see it might be a tad rare, esp. for pork.I think my twenty year old thermometer is done. There wasn't enough stuffing in it, but that was thanks to the idiot butchers who cut it in half! What, who would do that?

Does this count as a pork chop?

Still might be the best dish I've ever prepared on the grill 'cept some spares.

Last edited:
WoW!:shock: That is amazing!:hungry: Are you planning on being a chef?

As for whether or not it's a pork chop let me check the rules....I know they are around here somewhere. Aw, fark it. That looks too damn good to not allow it.:hungry:

Thanks man. I didn't think it turned out look wise as I wanted, but it tasted great.

I'd love to work in a kitchen later in life, just not going to go to school for it.. putting all your eggs in a difficult basket.

And I know it's not exactly a pork chop, but I asked before, and there was supposedly no rules, so I said, What the heck?

Thanks man. I didn't think it turned out look wise as I wanted, but it tasted great.

I'd love to work in a kitchen later in life, just not going to go to school for it.. putting all your eggs in a difficult basket.

"off topic" they're all difficult baskets, do something you love to do. "on topic"

nice cook, looks a bit rare-er than 185* though, i agree, time for a new thermo.

after 10 entries...but then again seeing as there are no rules any longer...it could NEVER END!!!!

now, chris, that would be worse than...oh, no, i better just leave it alone.

it'd be funny though ...

Looks good twinsfan. Good to see you survived the cook. Unfortunately I bet against you and you cost me $20 :mad::icon_smile_tongue:

I thought the same thing when I was 18 working my way up through the ranks of a Country Club kitchen. In 1977, I just couldn't see me working my a$$ off for 18 hours a day, all the while being harassed & bullied by much older cooks as I was advanced over them.

I regret not pursuing that career at that time, but in a way my career in the USAF exposed me to cultures and food all over the world. I brought those ideas, flavors & techniques back with me. Even though I am not a "working chef" I use those experiences every time I even THINK about cooking.

Go with what you love. No road is harder than one that leads you away from your passion. :thumb:

So, I count eight entries so far?? gore, is your posting the start of another of your famous DQ's??? :p

Back