THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gnomatic

Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This bad boy was by far the best brisket I've ever done. It was a shade under 14lbs before trimming, US Prime from Costco. The bark on this thing was to DIE FOR. Yet, the flat was anything but dry and extremely tasty. I don't even need to mention the point, look at that thing!

I had always foiled my briskets because the last thing I wanted was dry meat. The results were always very good, however I felt I was missing out on a real bark. So this spring I got a tad adventurous and smoke a brisket, no foil, no water pan. The end result was awesome, I got the bark I was looking for, but the flat was a tad dry. Still, on balance, I was thrilled.

Later this past summer I did another no foil/waterpan brisket, and to my disappointment, that one came out very dry. I think my biggest mistake was placing my temp probe in the point instead of the flat, and taking it to 200F.

Well, third time was a charm. Had the probe in the thick part of the flat, but more that anything, I used the probe test to check for doneness. Oh man everything came together on this one! It sliced just perfect. The bark was AMAZING and the flat had plenty moisture.

My days of foiling briskets are over. :mrgreen:

Best looking meteorite I've seen. Sure wish you had pics of it sliced. It's just not fair to entice us with a fully dressed piece of meat when we all hope that underneath the dark and sexy clothing it was all hot and wet.
Just not fair at all.

Do you think being a Prime had something to do with it? (being moist).

If he cooked all primes then it was using the probe instead of pulling at temp. The primes I have cooked had amazing marbling in the flats. Cutting the corner to mark the direction of the grain was an eye opener. The difference from select or choice was no comparison.

Do you think being a Prime had something to do with it? (being moist).
Well, sure it helped. But I get most my packers from Costco, and hence, US Prime. The previous two no foil briskets I did before were a tad dry, and dry, respectively.

The two things that made the biggest difference IMO: 1. I put the temp probe in the thickest part of the flat instead of the point. 2. Instead of going strictly by temp and pulling the thing at 200F(point) regardless, I used the temp as a guide but relied on the probe test to decide when to pull it. (which happened to be at 203F-204F(flat) for this one.)

All three were smoked at 220F, and were all injected. Rub was simple Dalmatian.

Back