THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brewerjamie15

Full Fledged Farker
6-30-16 10:30 pm

This is kind of an intimidating cook for me for a few reasons.

I've not done 3 shoulders before
I'm on a new smoker (a stick burner vs my UDS)
This new stick burner is a Char-griller com pro that has not been modified in any way although it has been seasoned.
I'm cooking for my entire family
My damned thermometers are acting odd.
I'm not used to fire maint. on a SFB

Other than all that, I'm oddly confident this will be fine.

When I wake up---

I'll clean & trim a tiny bit, inject, and rub a couple hours before putting to smoke. (the pork shoulders, not myself)

all my logs will have been pre lit before going to the firebox to avoid yucky smoke.

I'll use a few fire bricks to baffle the heat, make an exhaust extension in the early morning.

QUESTIONS--
Those mods should be ok, right?
Do you guys pre light your sticks before putting them into the firebox?
I'm figuring about 1.25-1.5 hours per pound for the shoulders?

I'm going to update this thread as I wreck stuff, so stay tuned to help or mock me. Either way, it'll be fun.

see you 7-1-16 around 9 am or so.

No need to extend the exhaust. Use splits as thick as a coke can and as long as the space between the ends of the handle on the fire box. Approximately one every 20-30 minutes. I just preheat them on the top of the fire box. The only mod I did was to put the charcoal grate upside down in the cook chamber and tight against the fire box side. Some aluminum foil will seal any gaps on that mod.

Pork butts are an excellent choice for a first cook with a new smoker. Difficult to fark it up. Large piece of meat can tolerate more smoke if things get out of control. Focus on clean burning fire and everything else will follow and your family will be happy..

What others said...Manage a clean burning fire and you will be fine. Just remember the size of your fire dictates your temperature.
Preheat your splits on top your firebox and you should be good.
Enjoy your smoke!!

They've been on for about 1.5 hours now, things are going just fine. I was fighting the sun quite a bit and since our patio umbrella basically dry rotted into nothingness, I built a quick lean to.

Attachments

• 0701161154_resized.jpg
    0701161154_resized.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 181
good to see that she is running good. i was a little worried that exhaust extension would impede airflow.

Someone had a "red-neck towel holder" thread. Mine is some old wire, a piece of PVC and can be hung many places. Right now, it's on an old laundry line bolt.

I'm using apple wood and old Oak Whiskey Barrels for my fuel. Smells pretty good. One neighbor has already popped his head out and asked what I'm making this time.

I'm holding a temp right around 290 hitting 300 frequently in the early going.
I won't start "spritzing" for a while yet.
No water pan (not with water in it yet anyhow)

If all goes terribly wrong I have the following backup plan: (the beer. NOT the water. the beer.)

Attachments

• 0701161141_resized.jpg
    0701161141_resized.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
I'm not really sure about the exhaust extension. I'm giving it a try, maybe I"ll remove it next time around. I read information about it either way, but for now, I'll try it. It takes up space though which I'm not really thrilled about.

When should I start rotating them around?

It's been 3.5 hours. I'm thinking it's time to rotate the shoulders and maybe spritz them.

Flat Root Beer (left a cup out overnight)
splash of coffee
apple juice

8 hours in and they are starting to feel close to ready for resting. Temps are maybe 185 or so. If you're a temp guy (or gal) then I'm 15ish degrees away.
Started this ordeal at 8, shoulders to smoke at 11. It's 7pm. I'm going to listen to the Brewers game on the radio (I know, they suck) hang out and then these can rest.

My shoulders are in a foil pan covered in foil. Won't fit in a cooler, so it's oven city.

Back