The Butcher

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
My butcher knows me on a first name basis. I’ve been there so many times ever since I started bbqing on charcoal again 3 years ago. I walk in the front door and we greet each other and he knows immediately what my order will be; 2 t-bones and 2 rib eye steaks cut to 1 inch thick.
Those of you who go to the butcher, does he/she know who you are personally?

What is this butcher person you speak of?

The butchers of the local grocery stores in my town of 20K moved out of town to live with the stage coach drivers. None of the three retail grocery stores in the 'Burg employ meat cutters/butchers. All retail meat on the shelves has been cut and packaged out of state. All the pork available at Hy-Vee contains at least 12% sodium solution. I never thought I would see the day when I would be buying my pork at Aldi or Wal-Mart.

You are fortunate, Kev. Appreciate what you have as the meat business is changing in the retail outlets. I used to be on a first name basis with several butchers at the grocery stores here my town. The friends I have that used to cut meat for retail who are still working are now clerks who place the prepacked protein on the shelves. They are no longer butchers..............

Crying in my beer,

Juggy D Beerman

I have butcher experience from many years ago, and I know from which you speak because I knew a lot of my customers by name and more often than not, I knew what they were going to order when they stepped up to the counter. When I hear stories about all these stores getting in prepackaged meats, it really makes me want to open up my own butcher shop, and that's a thought that is in the back of my head everyday.

I’m blessed to have several meat processors near me that bring livestock in one entrance and sell retail cuts out of the other one.

The closest one knows me by name, as that’s where I get my bulk meat (1/2 beef, whole hog, etc)

I feel sorry for those that are stuck in areas that only have boxed meat from Timbuktu

*+++++++++++++++++++++++We have a slug of off the hoof cutters nearby, and +you pay for what they provide.
I mostly use the counter at Fareway, they are not really butchers as t6666677777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777 they merely cut up primals from the box, still a cut above most!
Ed

Oh, if you can read the middle of my post than you too must have 7 week old kittens.

+

I worked for a butcher for awhile, we broke down quarters and had boxed meat.

I don't think theres any real butchers left around here now, just meat cutters.

What defines the difference between a butcher and a meat cutter?

I worked for a butcher for awhile, we broke down quarters and had boxed meat.

I don't think theres any real butchers left around here now, just meat cutters.

What defines the difference between a butcher and a meat cutter?

Butchers break down the whole animal, meat cutters break down primals and sub-primals (boxed meat).

Meat cutter: A whole pork shoulder is a primal, it is normally cut into two retail cuts, a 10lb loin is cut into pork chops

Butcher: Whole hog is broken down into primals and sub primals and retail cuts

Slaughterhouse Abattoir/Kill Floor: Dispatch the hog, bleed and hang until sent to butcher

Last edited:
Then the place I get my meat is most definitely a butcher.

http://www.diamond7meats.ca/d7/

Butchers break down the whole animal, meat cutters break down primals and sub-primals (boxed meat).

Meat cutter: A whole pork shoulder is a primal, it is normally cut into two retail cuts, a 10lb loin is cut into pork chops

Butcher: Whole hog is broken down into primals and sub primals and retail cuts

Slaughterhouse Abattoir/Kill Floor: Dispatch the hog, bleed and hang until sent to butcher

I have butcher experience from many years ago, and I know from which you speak because I knew a lot of my customers by name and more often than not, I knew what they were going to order when they stepped up to the counter. When I hear stories about all these stores getting in prepackaged meats, it really makes me want to open up my own butcher shop, and that's a thought that is in the back of my head everyday.

You should go for it Ron!! :cool: :-D

My butcher knows me well. :laugh: He processes my beef and the occasional hog, when I don't have the time.
If I'm not eating my beef, I'll get his. He raises, butchers and sells some mighty fine cattle.

Haven't seen a butcher around these parts in years. If you head out to the sticks, there are still some around. Around here all we got are meat cutters.

Haven't seen a butcher around these parts in years. If you head out to the sticks, there are still some around. Around here all we got are meat cutters.

A meat cutter can be ok too…as long as you get what you want with the quality you want.

I would bet those of you closer to the ranches get better quality. Here the restaurants get most of the good beef and you really have to pay a premium to get great quality.

*+++++++++++++++++++++++We have a slug of off the hoof cutters nearby, and +you pay for what they provide.
I mostly use the counter at Fareway, they are not really butchers as t6666677777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777 they merely cut up primals from the box, still a cut above most!
Ed

Oh, if you can read the middle of my post than you too must have 7 week old kittens.

+

Five cats here...I understand.

My (only) local butcher is a bandit. Seriously!
I only go there to get things that I cant find at our regular grocers.
He doesn't know my name because he wont be bothered to be in the store and meet customers.
Just as well. His frozen meat offerings aren't worth the price he wants for em.

I have a group of friends that we typically do our own butchering, so yes, I know all by name. On the occasion I shop for meat, I visit my butcher. We've been friends for most my life, so it's safe to say I know him as well.

I’m blessed to have several meat processors near me that bring livestock in one entrance and sell retail cuts out of the other one.

The closest one to me is one hour away. That's only for special occasions.

Here the restaurants get most of the good beef and you really have to pay a premium to get great quality.

I've noticed that in the past. For the longest time, all the outer skirt steaks went to restaurants. Impossible to find at stores, all there was was inner skirt. But in the last year, I've started seeing it available more and more, mostly at the local Mexi-Mart.

oldtown.jpg

Double Oak, in North Texas

Great place, no idea who the butcher is. On weekends if you don't get there before 10 you will have a serious wait. 5 people deep along the whole counter.

Back