THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was out there for the Gettysburg marathon back in April or May for my dad, ironically, and the registration for the race was very close to here. There was the theater as you saw in the photo, and a complex of chain restaurants and chain hotels (like the choice, econo, hampton inn) kind of hotels. The whole complex is quite spread about but there's an enormous amount of parking spaces throughout the complex. There are some cheap restaurants for a Friday or Saturday dinner around there if you don't have an RV.

Will see everybody out there, hope to meet a few of you.

I was out there for the Gettysburg marathon back in April or May for my dad, ironically, and the registration for the race was very close to here. There was the theater as you saw in the photo, and a complex of chain restaurants and chain hotels (like the choice, econo, hampton inn) kind of hotels. The whole complex is quite spread about but there's an enormous amount of parking spaces throughout the complex. There are some cheap restaurants for a Friday or Saturday dinner around there if you don't have an RV.

Will see everybody out there, hope to meet a few of you.

I think there is also a grocery store or 2 close as well. I know there is a beer store as well.

here is the email I sent Dan Z. I alos called. please feel free to do the same.

Im sure you know that there are a lot of teams with questions. here are some of mine.

peoples choice.

Awards?
pay outs?
needs?

how many gallons of water are you giving teams ( I would probably need 15 to start)
pay outs to were and how much?
what type of awards (prizes? trophies? etc?)

are there food vendors?

ice delivery?

water delivery?

kids activity?

bad weather contingencys?

bbq supplies? charcoal,wood? spices?

people are really starting to freak out. Ill post on MABA and BBQ Brethren anything you can give me to inform the teams.

Sal

update from the organizer......

Hi Sal:

I was called out of the area unexpectedly and I just got back to the area after a full day of driving. I do apologize.

I tried to answer emails while driving the interstate today, but I knew I wasn't catching everything/everyone.

Please let everyone know in your circle that email updates to teams and judges will be out by noon tomorrow--guaranteed. Everything is okay and on target for the event.

I will add the answers to your questions to the update for all as well.

I have a 7am with the electrician and then will be in office to complete the emails.

Dan

update from the organizer......

Please let everyone know in your circle that email updates to teams and judges will be out by noon tomorrow--guaranteed. Everything is okay and on target for the event.

Dan

I sincerely hope Dan does make his deadline for update. I'm NOT saying that I don't believe it. I just think that he needs to send out an update today to calm some nerves. We are fortunate as we have a trailer and generator so infrastructure won't really impact us much. Much more of an issue for others so I understand their nervousness.

Yea I'd be shocked if we have an e-mail by noon. I think it's gonna be a show up and have some fun and ignore all the planning issues kind of comp.

I sincerely hope Dan does make his deadline for update. I'm NOT saying that I don't believe it. I just think that he needs to send out an update today to calm some nerves. We are fortunate as we have a trailer and generator so infrastructure won't really impact us much. Much more of an issue for others so I understand their nervousness.

I'll take the over for $500 Alex.

Hello all:

My deepest apologizes for any and all delays in finalizing this last update. Despite the rumors, all is well in Gettysburg and we are all but ready to go.

We are at 47 total teams for this weekend: A to Z BBQ, PA; Chicken Chokers, NJ; Smokin’ Gnome BBQ, PA; Hawg Nation BBQ, PA; Flying Porkers, PA; Burnt Side Down, NJ; Tipsy Pigs, WV; Brown Liquor BBQ, VA; Degüello BBQ, VA; Fire & Spice, PA; UHOGG, VA; Free Range BBQ, VA; Smokin for Fun, MD; Wilbur’s Revenge, PA; Zigs Pig BBQ, PA; Just Smokin’ Around, MD; Sleeping Dog, MD; Hog-It-Up BBQ, VA; Diesel Smoke BBQ, MD; 3 Eyez BBQ, MD; Jocko-Que, MD; Cancersuckschicago.com, IL; Florida Skin and Bones, FL; Pig Pen BBQ, NJ; Red Lion Spicy Foods, PA; White Dog BBQ, PA; Bar-B-Que Mayham, PA; Triple J Smokin’, PA; Zombie Barbecue, PA; Pullin’ Pork, DE; Appleway BBQ, PA; Tasty Licks BBQ, PA; Checkered Flag 500 BBQ Team, PA; Christmas City BBQ, PA; Fat Maxine’s, MD; Uncle Buck’s BBQ, MD; Bone to Bark BBQ, MD; Susquehanna Blue Smoke, PA; 4:20 Q, MD; Smokin’ Turtle Low N Slow, PA; Smokescreen BBQ, PA; Aporkalypse Now, VA; Sie’n Dis BBQ, MD; Fat Daddy Joe’s BBQ, MD; Hoos Smokin’, ; Pighole BBQ, MD; Princess and the Porker, KY; Sugar Loaf Mountain BBQ, MD; Green Eyed Monsters BBQ, PA; and Smokin’ My Pit, MD. As of this moment, we can accept only 3 more KCBS teams and we will close entries Wednesday at noon.

C:%5CUsers%5CCHIPWE%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
GPS Address: For those using GPS use the following address to arrive to the event: 95 Presidential Circle, Gettysburg, PA 17325. Official arrival time is after 12noon on Friday, but understanding travel times teams will be checked in sooner if all major set-up is finalized.

Water: All teams will receive 18 gallons of water once they are settled into their cooking area. More gallons will be available as needed through the weekend. There is one (1) water hook-up roughly 80 yards away from the competition area. Teams can fill up storage tanks and the like upon their arrival and prior to departure on a first come/first serve basis. Please bring your own hose.

Ice: We are still on for ice on-site all weekend. As announced earlier the ice is available in 40 lb. bags at $8 apiece.

Electric: The electrical “grid” will be up and operational shortly after noon time on Friday. I met with the head electrician this morning and we are set for all power needs you will have for traditional and RV set-ups. We will work with you as you setup to make sure everything is connected and working for you throughout the weekend. The electricians will be onsite throughout the event in case something arises. He has asked me to stress to everyone to please bring ample plus extension cords to make sure your length will reach the boards. Since our “free” contact for the generators is no longer with the company, we are trying to avoid an overabundance of spider boxes that will continue to add to the expense.

Payouts: We were able to add a little more money to the pot for the KCBS Event. For each of the individual meats, the payouts will be (first through fifth) $350, $200, $100, $50, $25 with an unique trophy award; Grand Champion will receive $600 plus trophy and Reserve Champion $350. The Backyarder division payouts are $100, $75, and $50 for each of the four main meats.

Meat Inspection: Our KCBS Rep—Randy Bigler will be available to do the meat inspections starting Friday morning as you check in.

Anything Butt: We have several teams in on the Anything Butt, but hope to entice a few more. Please see the info/registration sheet attached. Two questions that have been asked: Teams can use their own platter or clam shell for the entry. Seafood is allowable.

Schedules: The attached battle schedule did have an additional tweak in reference to Sunday. Attached is also the full event schedule with the band times, etc.

Friday Evening: Please note the attached invitation to a social connected with the Anything Butt contest (just as an FYI). We hope you will all will join us for a pig roast and some Cornhole fun prior to going to battle.

People’s Choice Questions: After teams are set-up, you will receive a special numbered sign to be displayed at your area. During the schedule time frame, visitors will visit participating teams for a 2 oz. sample (sample cups to be provided). The sample can be meat or sauce—as earlier suggested perhaps the non-turned in meats pieces from each team can be divided up for this purpose. Visitors once finished sampling will vote by depositing their vote ticket (received at gate entrance upon arrival) into the appropriate team’s numbered “box” in the main tent area. The team with the most votes will receive a trophy and $100.

Wing Siege: Please consider signing up for the wing siege. We have some teams, but with everyone in the BBQ it would be great to add more to make this battle stronger. Pay outs are increased $175, $100, and $50 for each of the four categories.

Saturday Breakfast: Don’t forget the Free breakfast for all teams on Saturday Morning. You will not need tickets or anything along those lines. Little Everett’s BBQ, a local non-competing team, will be setting up the buffet for 7am.

Other Event activities: There will be live music all weekend long starting on Friday ranging from Blue Grass and Jazz to Country and Rock. A “Kidz Zone” will be provided with roughly a dozen carnival type games for the kids. American Cornhole will be holding both open play/qualifying as well as a structured tournament program.

Weather: Forecast for the weekend currently is cloudy Friday with highs in the mid to upper 80’s. Saturday and Sunday are sunny with highs in the mid to upper 80’s with a small chance of a spotty shower.

Other Supplies: No one ordered any food or supplies from “Kennie’s Quartermaster” for the event, so the pre-packaged delivery is no longer available at this time, but we can still arrange for the just above wholesale pricing for any items you may need. We will like to hear from you on what we can do to make this program more useful to you in the future. We acknowledge the late joining teams did not know about it in time, but we would like to try to put this together again for 2013.

Loose ends: Those teams just registering or have not done so yet, please forward your shirt sizes and departure plans (Saturday evening or Sunday morning). Each team will receive two shirts with any additional shirts $10 apiece.

I believe I hit everything asked, but please let me know if you have any questions. Also, my cell number is 717.479.0512.

C:%5CUsers%5CCHIPWE%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.gif
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
C:%5CUsers%5CCHIPWE%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image003.gif
[FONT=&quot]For those teams also competing on Sunday: a second email to all chili teams will be sent our later today with only a few notes specific to Sunday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Looking forward to welcoming all of you this weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dan[/FONT]

C:%5CUsers%5CCHIPWE%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image004.jpg

Dan's latest e-mail

Dan's latest e-mail. Note that the e-mail also has about 40 MB(!) in attachments, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of you don't receive the email due to attachment size. The attachments are flyers and schedules.

Hello all:

My deepest apologizes for any and all delays in finalizing this last update. Despite the rumors, all is well in Gettysburg and we are all but ready to go.

We are at 47 total teams for this weekend: A to Z BBQ, PA; Chicken Chokers, NJ; Smokin’ Gnome BBQ, PA; Hawg Nation BBQ, PA; Flying Porkers, PA; Burnt Side Down, NJ; Tipsy Pigs, WV; Brown Liquor BBQ, VA; Degüello BBQ, VA; Fire & Spice, PA; UHOGG, VA; Free Range BBQ, VA; Smokin for Fun, MD; Wilbur’s Revenge, PA; Zigs Pig BBQ, PA; Just Smokin’ Around, MD; Sleeping Dog, MD; Hog-It-Up BBQ, VA; Diesel Smoke BBQ, MD; 3 Eyez BBQ, MD; Jocko-Que, MD; Cancersuckschicago.com, IL; Florida Skin and Bones, FL; Pig Pen BBQ, NJ; Red Lion Spicy Foods, PA; White Dog BBQ, PA; Bar-B-Que Mayham, PA; Triple J Smokin’, PA; Zombie Barbecue, PA; Pullin’ Pork, DE; Appleway BBQ, PA; Tasty Licks BBQ, PA; Checkered Flag 500 BBQ Team, PA; Christmas City BBQ, PA; Fat Maxine’s, MD; Uncle Buck’s BBQ, MD; Bone to Bark BBQ, MD; Susquehanna Blue Smoke, PA; 4:20 Q, MD; Smokin’ Turtle Low N Slow, PA; Smokescreen BBQ, PA; Aporkalypse Now, VA; Sie’n Dis BBQ, MD; Fat Daddy Joe’s BBQ, MD; Hoos Smokin’, ; Pighole BBQ, MD; Princess and the Porker, KY; Sugar Loaf Mountain BBQ, MD; Green Eyed Monsters BBQ, PA; and Smokin’ My Pit, MD. As of this moment, we can accept only 3 more KCBS teams and we will close entries Wednesday at noon.
<image002.png>

GPS Address: For those using GPS use the following address to arrive to the event: 95 Presidential Circle, Gettysburg, PA 17325. Official arrival time is after 12noon on Friday, but understanding travel times teams will be checked in sooner if all major set-up is finalized.

Water: All teams will receive 18 gallons of water once they are settled into their cooking area. More gallons will be available as needed through the weekend. There is one (1) water hook-up roughly 80 yards away from the competition area. Teams can fill up storage tanks and the like upon their arrival and prior to departure on a first come/first serve basis. Please bring your own hose.

Ice: We are still on for ice on-site all weekend. As announced earlier the ice is available in 40 lb. bags at $8 apiece.

Electric: The electrical “grid” will be up and operational shortly after noon time on Friday. I met with the head electrician this morning and we are set for all power needs you will have for traditional and RV set-ups. We will work with you as you setup to make sure everything is connected and working for you throughout the weekend. The electricians will be onsite throughout the event in case something arises. He has asked me to stress to everyone to please bring ample plus extension cords to make sure your length will reach the boards. Since our “free” contact for the generators is no longer with the company, we are trying to avoid an overabundance of spider boxes that will continue to add to the expense.

Payouts: We were able to add a little more money to the pot for the KCBS Event. For each of the individual meats, the payouts will be (first through fifth) $350, $200, $100, $50, $25 with an unique trophy award; Grand Champion will receive $600 plus trophy and Reserve Champion $350. The Backyarder division payouts are $100, $75, and $50 for each of the four main meats.

Meat Inspection: Our KCBS Rep—Randy Bigler will be available to do the meat inspections starting Friday morning as you check in.

Anything Butt: We have several teams in on the Anything Butt, but hope to entice a few more. Please see the info/registration sheet attached. Two questions that have been asked: Teams can use their own platter or clam shell for the entry. Seafood is allowable.

Schedules: The attached battle schedule did have an additional tweak in reference to Sunday. Attached is also the full event schedule with the band times, etc.

Friday Evening: Please note the attached invitation to a social connected with the Anything Butt contest (just as an FYI). We hope you will all will join us for a pig roast and some Cornhole fun prior to going to battle.

People’s Choice Questions: After teams are set-up, you will receive a special numbered sign to be displayed at your area. During the schedule time frame, visitors will visit participating teams for a 2 oz. sample (sample cups to be provided). The sample can be meat or sauce—as earlier suggested perhaps the non-turned in meats pieces from each team can be divided up for this purpose. Visitors once finished sampling will vote by depositing their vote ticket (received at gate entrance upon arrival) into the appropriate team’s numbered “box” in the main tent area. The team with the most votes will receive a trophy and $100.

Wing Siege: Please consider signing up for the wing siege. We have some teams, but with everyone in the BBQ it would be great to add more to make this battle stronger. Pay outs are increased $175, $100, and $50 for each of the four categories.

Saturday Breakfast: Don’t forget the Free breakfast for all teams on Saturday Morning. You will not need tickets or anything along those lines. Little Everett’s BBQ, a local non-competing team, will be setting up the buffet for 7am.

Other Event activities: There will be live music all weekend long starting on Friday ranging from Blue Grass and Jazz to Country and Rock. A “Kidz Zone” will be provided with roughly a dozen carnival type games for the kids. American Cornhole will be holding both open play/qualifying as well as a structured tournament program.

Weather: Forecast for the weekend currently is cloudy Friday with highs in the mid to upper 80’s. Saturday and Sunday are sunny with highs in the mid to upper 80’s with a small chance of a spotty shower.

Other Supplies: No one ordered any food or supplies from “Kennie’s Quartermaster” for the event, so the pre-packaged delivery is no longer available at this time, but we can still arrange for the just above wholesale pricing for any items you may need. We will like to hear from you on what we can do to make this program more useful to you in the future. We acknowledge the late joining teams did not know about it in time, but we would like to try to put this together again for 2013.

Loose ends: Those teams just registering or have not done so yet, please forward your shirt sizes and departure plans (Saturday evening or Sunday morning). Each team will receive two shirts with any additional shirts $10 apiece.

I believe I hit everything asked, but please let me know if you have any questions. Also, my cell number is 717.479.0512.
<image003.png>

<image004.png>For those teams also competing on Sunday: a second email to all chili teams will be sent our later today with only a few notes specific to Sunday.

Looking forward to welcoming all of you this weekend.
Dan

There are a few PDF's attached with the schedules and application for the Anything Butt. Not sure how to paste them.

His inbox is full now apparently according to their network mailer. Now we really can't get ahold of him!

Fantastic! :-D

"FAT" email

From White Dog.......
"Dan's latest e-mail. Note that the e-mail also has about 40 MB(!) in attachments, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of you don't receive the email due to attachment size. The attachments are flyers and schedules."

Seems like this may be one reason why only a small fraction of Dan's emails are getting through.
My freebie email program won't process any attachments over 20MB and some others are clamped at 10MB.
Dan's tryin to dump a tandem dump truck load of info into my pickup.

Back