THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice recipe, Bob! Looks to be easier than the one I use for my char sui bao, or my pork belly and kimchi sammiches. I'll try this! Thanks! :thumb:

As to the size I make, these were stupidly large, meybe 7" or so. They should be 4 to 5 inches. But, I have non-dextrous hands, so 7" it is. The pan-fried bao were smaller, around 2-3 inches in diameter.

Oddly, the timing is rather similar. I would say that since the guts of the bao are already cooked it is just the dough that has to cook, the guys just need to heat through. So, 12 minutes is very typical. Go with 12 minutes. Even the pan-fried ones took about that time, over a low heat (bread dough burns FAST)

I use something like this right now...
HS3000.jpg

because I broke my...
images

Which is far preferable.

Although I really want...
8%20inch%20Dim%20Sum%20Steamer.jpg

for use on my wok

No way I can compete with China. The bamboo steamers sit on a wok, cost about $10. The stainless steel version is about $25 but, never breaks. Also sits on a wok. The electric steamer also cost me about $25 and is self-contained. Easy to use and has a timer.

images

As you can see above the steamer baskets all fit into a wok. The wok has boiling water in it, which provides the steam. It is a matter of putting the steamer baskets with food in them, over the wok. The stainless one works similar, but, must fit over the wok, not in it, to get the seal.

Out here, they have them at Jetro and The Wok Shop. They are pretty typical items at any restaurant supply store that carries Chinese cooking equipment.

There are arguments as to stainless versus bamboo, some good ones actually. But, stainless doesn't break. As easily.

Back