THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tom b

somebody shut me the fark up.
I have been pellet cooking for 5-6 years we are on our second Traeger, I have only cooked with them, that is mostly what you see here. I recently picked up a Mak and would like to choose between the 2 and move one along. I needed to see what the differences between what I have and what is been raved about.

Please excuse all the babbling, I doing this to log my thoughts to help make a decision. Hopefully it may help somebodies a little easier or at least more informed

Test #1 a quick cook chicken thighs:
Weather cloudy and 64, no wind

I dry brined these with k-salt for 5-6 hrs then applied some garlic herb spice and some lemon pepper
tIviaDnh.jpg

I set both cookers to 375 the Mak was to temp in 17 min :-D and the timberline 48, my biggest gripe since owning this cooker

as far as visible smoke the timberline shows a bit occasionally and the mak ran 50/50 blue waves and light smoke, hard to see in pics but here they are

timberline
IAdzr8Uh.jpg

MAK
SweFp1Jh.jpg

this is where I place the pcs on the cookers to see about zone differential

timberline
Dc7UXrlh.jpg

MAK
XqNstnfh.jpg

after 30 min I took a look, all pcs temp in the 155-162 range

timberline
P4w0kgnh.jpg

MAK
R09rZ2hh.jpg

I decided to let them go 15 more minutes, this what the looked like when I took them off al temping 188+
jRysz4Nh.jpg

Bite shot, timberline on the left, MAK the right. Both had crispy skin but the tiberline bit through a little cleaner
gZ3577Mh.jpg

Conclusion:
food quality and smoke profile had no noticeable difference.

Edge goes to the MAK for quicker start up time.

I find that often times, especially on poultry, the flavor profile is more pronounced the next day. I wouldn’t expect any pellet grill to be WAY different than the next when cooking at 375°... but you and your wife taking turns doing a blind taste test tomorrow would be interesting.

17 minutes to get to 375 not bad, getting ready todo a charcoal grill vs pellet grill test to see which is the quickest to get up to grilling temps for steaks (500+). I'm pretty sure I already know which will win but it will be neat to document it.

17 minutes to get to 375 not bad, getting ready todo a charcoal grill vs pellet grill test to see which is quickest to get up to grilling temps for steaks (500+). I'm pretty sure I already know which will win but it will be neat to document it.

Lump or briquettes for the test? If lump, my $ is on the kettle.

17 minutes to get to 375 not bad, getting ready todo a charcoal grill vs pellet grill test to see which is the quickest to get up to grilling temps for steaks (500+). I'm pretty sure I already know which will win but it will be neat to document it.

I've never timed it, but I think it will be closer than you think.

I find that often times, especially on poultry, the flavor profile is more pronounced the next day. I wouldn’t expect any pellet grill to be WAY different than the next when cooking at 375°... but you and your wife taking turns doing a blind taste test tomorrow would be interesting.
I agree. At 375 probably not much difference. Looking forward to more testing...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Size??

Not trying to throw gas on the fire here. Isn't there a pretty big size difference between these 2 grills? The MAK is smaller & should warm up faster right???

Not trying to throw gas on the fire here. Isn't there a pretty big size difference between these 2 grills? The MAK is smaller & should warm up faster right???

Absolutely! That said, the Traeger Timberlines are “insulated” much more so than the MAK’s, so you’d expect (or at least I would) to see a shorter preheat time than 40+ minutes. That kind of caught me off guard. Regarding the MAK’s... I have owned 3 now (at different times). My first was a 2011 MAK 1 Star. It definitely took longer to preheat and recover when opened than my 2017 and now 2019 2 Star. When MAK released their Funnel Flame Zone in 2017 that was a game changer for them. By design, all heat is forced into the cooking chamber vs sitting around in the belly of the cooker before rising. There was a very noticeable difference when I started cooking on a MAK w/ FFZ.

My 1300 only takes about 25 minutes to get to 350°. I start mine at 225° and when it reaches that temp, I will increase it to whatever temp I am planning to cook. I did some Hamburger steaks the other day and it only took 35 minutes to get to 500°.

Back