MAK 2 or Lone Star Pellet Grill

JBirdP

Name or Nickame
JBirdP
I really appreciate the MAK Brethren sale again this year. I have put this on the back burner for a while but I want a pellet grill to add to the arsenal.
Curious if there are any opinions on the MAK 2 vs the Lone Star pellet grill. I really appreciate the MAK 2 stainless and the Fireboard controller on Lone Star. Thought I would ask prior to purchasing from this group.
Thanks for any insight.

I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either. 2 fantastic options. Perhaps figuring out what your top priorities are in a pellet cooker will tip you in the right direction for YOU.

I can tell you a few of the things I have long loved about MAK’s from my personal experiences.

-Can grill across the entire surface vs a small sear zone.
-304 SS in all high wear areas.
-Aluminized steel covered by super high quality powder coating in all non-SS areas.
-Fantastic smoke output.
-Removable fire pot.
-Deceptively large cooking capacity.
-Fast pre-heat times.
-Lifetime warranty

Have never cooked on an LSG, but it would definitely be in the running were I in the market. I am guessing I’d love one!

Last edited:
I haven’t seen a lot on the LSG pellet yet. The owners that get them seem pretty quiet which to me means they must be working well. The only negative anything I’ve seen is it might be a pellet hog, but that’s based on very limited indirect data.

I bought my MAK a year ago and strongly considered the Yoder and LSG because of the Fireboard controllers. In the end, I chose the MAK for the reasons Robb listed above and have been happy with the choice. It’s a great pellet grill. I can’t tell you from if the LSG does anything better though.

Very few LSG pellet grill owners on here that I know of. Good luck with that decision. Listen to Rob. He's a Mak head but he knows how to walk you thru making this decision. He's very pellet knowledgeable.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That Lone Star looks amazing. With that charcoal bin you can use it as a full grill? I can't grill but a single steak on my MAK 2, so that's a HUGE win. Being able to clean it without removing half the smoker is super appealing, too. And it looks like a lot more useable cooking space.

It's like they took every complaint I had about the MAK, and fixed it on their Grillz.

There’s nothing I can’t do on my 2 star, from smoking cheese to making the perfect seared steak. I have no knowledge of cooking on the lone star.

Best of luck with your decision!

Back