THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanted something that tells about me. I have been a meat cutter for over 28 years and now I own and run my own meat processing plant. So the bad wrap the butchers got for many years I would like to change, my saying is " The time has come to trust your Butcher again."

I wanted something that tells about me. I have been a meat cutter for over 28 years and now I own and run my own meat processing plant. So the bad wrap the butchers got for many years I would like to change, my saying is " The time has come to trust your Butcher again."

Good stuff!

Tell you what!

EVERY time I'm smokin' ... and DRINKIN the conversation begins with, "TELL YOU WHAT..." or "Listen, I'm a gunna TELL YOU WHAT..." or..perhaps as an endnote to a statement. "Blah....blah...blah..{insert drunken rhetoric}...and I TELL YOU WHAT..."

Thus, the name...TELL YOU WHAT BBQ. RUB IT. SMOKE IT. PULL IT.
"Win or lose -- we still booze!" Gotta have fun. It's BBQ...which is synonymous with fun.

When I had my team it was named "Dazed and Confused BBQ", named after my love of the Grateful Dead. My catering company is named "Fairway BBQ" because of being a professional golfer, best of both worlds!

Grateful,
Last nite while drivin' home from a comp I was jammin' Bobby..listenin to Other One. "Left a Smokin' crater on my mind..."

I thought, SMOKE ON MY MIND... that is a good team name. Maybe I'll use that as a TELL YOU WHAT offshoot...submit same meats with 2 team names. See the difference!

I guess 3 days of smoked beast, bourbon and Budweiser takes its toll!:eek:

First, without a doubt Cancer Sucks! What a great tribute.

We are CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq. with the motto of Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal Most of the original team had a connection with law enforcement and tend to have to interact with lawyers.. Couple of drinks one night after helping a team with a contest we decided to form our own. Tossed ideas out and thought why not use the three meats... We like it even if we are criminals with our end result frequently :lol:

The Soundside Smokers - We haven't actually competed yet, but my son and I were talking about possible names and wanted to include our home town and a laid back beach type theme. We live by the Currituck Sound so Soundside kind of fit. Here's the brethren debut of our new logo......Many thanks to Patrick for the logo.

soundside.jpg

Newbie Team Name

Being new to competition BBQ it was kind hard to come up with a name my wife and I could agree upon that wasn’t already taken. Then one afternoon after coming home well after feeding time and jumping into the pig pen to retrieve the feed bucket I got my calf bitten by very hungry pig. My Wife proclaimed "Wow that’s an angry pig" and I thought it sounded like an appropriate name so it stuck and Angry Pig was born. On a side note we will be competing in our first Comp this Sept at the Harvard Fall Festival.

Lake Dogs - Live on a large lake, most everything we do centers around living on the lake. After having many labrador retrievers, we know what "lake dogs" are, and as people go, we're definitely Lake Dogs. We lounge at the lake, in the lake, swim, boat. We're all "Lake Dogs" around here.

"Next Year's Winner"

I had been cooking at the Royal for 10 or so years, and one Saturday morning, I was walking back from the Showers, (ok, more like stagering). I was looking at all the trophies & ribbons on display from the other teams, and kept thinking "Next year!" Next year we won't party quite so much, and concentrate more on competeing. We'll win next year. So after my partner bailed on me. I regrouped with a couple of other guys & changed out name to Next Year's Winner-we're smokin' optimism!

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 138
My team is Smoke In Da Eye because that's what my tee shirts and website say.

In 2000 or so I decided to throw a barbecue party for my new neighbors since they were always curious about the smoke coming from my yard on the weekends. When I was making the invite, I wanted to put 1st Annual something. Then 1st Annual Smoke In Da Eye BBQ Block Party popped to mind and I've used it ever since.

Back in 2003, my father had recently passed away and my sister and I were looking for things to get my mother out and involved in. We went to the BBQ event in Eisenhower Park (I'm not even sure it was Grill Kings that year), and my mother loved it, so we decided to get involved. We got together with my cousins and my godson (who was into cooking at the time) and entered our first contest. What my mother really liked to do was hand out samples and chat with the people who stopped to taste, so we would make up pans of her baked beans, corn bread and potatoes and she would hand out plates. SInce we needed a team name, and it was a family venture, and my mother was the matriarch of the family, we all wore shirts that said "Ma's Que Crew" and she wore a shirt that simply said "Ma". After she passed away, we more or less kept the name for sentimental reasons. When I started doing a little catering on the side, I used the "Ma's" name to play off whatever familiarity people might have with us from local events.

The logo comes from a friend who modified a pig to look like Mammy Yokum, who in no wise resembles my mother, except she is diminutive and tough as nails.

In 1986 I purchased my home in Wyocena, WI - population about 700. I added an adjacent lot in 1994 just before I got married.

Those two properties are on the shores of the Duck Creek/Wyocena Mill Pond/Wyona Lake system (it's about 8 feet deep) and we have always called it the Wyocena Yacht Club. It's a poor, old town, and the lake is too small to put a yacht on. It just seemed like a good joke to me.

So, when I got into this it was a natural - Wyocena Yacht Club Q Crew. My avatar is our logo. The colorful flags are the maritime flags "W", "Y", and "C".

Well I just decided to jump in the fray, cooking my first comp at Front Royal in October. I picked Aporkalypse Now since I tend to do the "carpet bomb" style of BBQ (case of ribs, case of butts, case of briskets) figuring something will hit its target:eek:
Aporkalypse-now-team-logo.jpg

This is a great thread:-D Forgot to post our logo...

Attachments

• Logo.jpg
    Logo.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 118
There is a long and boring back story which I will spare you from.
Goes back to Sebring in 2005.

Brent and I used to "Flirt with Disaster" with some of our recipes.
Quit that chit--embarrassing and don't pay worth a darn.

Now, I am "Flitrin' with Financial Disaster" at about every event.
Just spent a ton of bucks on a new trailer.
FBA events are "pricey", to say the least.
Lots and lots of miles and motel bills accumulating.
Retirement accounts are cleaned out--but they were for retirement--right? :oops:

Besides, I like the song!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 114
Choosing a team name was SO hard.

For our veryfirstever comp (where we got stomped like a narc at a biker rally), we were Casa di DiVQ:

DiVQ.jpg

While that name was dear to us, as it refers to how we met on the Neenernet as well as referencing VQ's heritage (both Italian and Weber), it made NO sense whatsoever to anybody who didn't know the backstory, so sadly it was scrapped.

Then the search for a new team name was exhaustively conducted. It seemed like every good name had been taken years ago, and every possible play on butts, bones and racks had been made.

You know that word game where you end random phrases with "in bed" or "in your pants"? It got to be like that, only with "BBQ". We'd say absolutely anything, and end it with "BBQ" to see if it sounded like a team name.
blank.gif

One day, in a fit of frustration, VQ came up with this:

screwitlogo.jpg

We both loved it, and still want to compete under it some day, but regretfully decided we'd have to go with something more marketable.

So we ended up with this:

RnQbizcard1.jpg

It says that on the business cards now, so we'll probably have to keep it for a while, but we're still doing some recreational name-shopping. On the way home from Pueblo, we saw a towing rig that immediately made me want to adopt the name "Short Bus BBQ"...

Finding a team name was hard. I am a bow hunter and there is a saying in the hunting world "Bring home the bacon and the bone" so I ended up with that. My kids loved it so it stuck. Plus everything is better with bacon.

BBQlogo2.jpg

Back