THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[FONT=geneva,arial,sans-serif] [/FONT] my wife Amy came up with the name based on a yard Gnome that would sit with me and keep me company on long over night cooks( he gernerally brought the beer and other party favors!!). thats the name and I am sticking with it!!

SAL

PT's Sweet Heat - The PT are initials from my son & daugther and I like sweet & spicy bbq and the perfect balance of sweet & heat are what the perfect sauce and/or rub should have.

T.K.

Yard Time BBQ - Back in my college days when I thought someone needed it I would ask them outside for some "Yard Time" and a few people nicknamed me Yard. Luckily I get along with my 2 cookmates and they thought the name sounded good for our team.

Graduated from UF, big Gator fan. Wanted a tie-in to the Gators without being too obvious so as to not turn away any possible FSU catering gigs (big state rivalry between UF/FSU).
The name of the football field at UF is the "Swamp", so I chose Swamp Boys :)

lightning strike bbq.as i was building my grill under a big oak tree late one afternoon lightning hit the tree i was working under so that is the name i put

I was part of a catering team that feed the NASCAR drivers and crews (at one time we catered for about 35 teams) for a little over 4 years, did all of the real Que along with any thing else that needed to be cooked... It only seemed natural to name it StockCar BBQ after that...

Partners In Swine BBQ, we used to be VooDooBBQ because it seemed like BBQ was a type of voodoo but after a run in with another team at the Royal with the name VooDoo when we were threatened by one of their more lubricated members we decided to change to a MUCH better name, and it refers to my wife and I although most contests you will see me there swining solo.

Our weiner dog's name is Buster and he is always camped out by the smoker when it's going, thinking he's getting something. We always call him Buster Dog so we decided to name the team Buster Dog BBQ and have our logo designed around him eating ribs.

Well, my brother Porkchop (Juicy Butts BBQ) picked the name. He has 2 daughters and 3 granddaughters. No one to carry on the tradition. So he helped us start up an all girls bbq team. So, there you have it - Hot Racks and BBQ Stacks. I personally love the name...

Lit and Loaded BBQ - Well I used to cook with my brother and we called ourselves Alan's Grillin Boys which was a tribute to him.

When my brother had to drop out - I did not think it was right to cook under the same name. So, I was looking for a new name; my wife and I was cleaning out some junk and came across a visor that her old softball team name - Lit and Loaded. They were a bunch of drunks that had fun. I thought that I could spin it saying a grill is lit with fire and loaded with food.

Thus the name - Lit and Loaded BBQ. Lately people ask Brian and I which one is Lit and which one is Loaded. We say he is 1/2 lit and I am fully loaded!

2 Skinny Cooks. Well, if you'd met us, you'd know we were (my wife still is, me, not as much) quite thin when we started. And we liked the idea because of the old saying "never trust a skinny cook". I guess the assumption is that they're skinny cause they don't eat the food they cook.

Except that we do eat our own food, but we do remain thin, mostly by loading and unloading the little cargo trailer we hauled to comps in the past. Hopefully there will be less of that now that we have a pop up

My wife passed away from cancer a little over 6 years ago. I started a 501c3 in her memory to raise money for cancer research and to assist those that are affected by cancer. She used to wear this Cancer Sucks! button with great pride. It was only natural that I named my team that and I am from Chicago... So any monies that we win from competing, we donate for cancer research...

Attachments

• Cancer Sucks Button!.JPG
    Cancer Sucks Button!.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 174
Smoky River BBQ... I have a weekend trailer I use on the Ohio River in Madison, Indiana and have been there for around 15 years. I wanted something with "river" in the name, and this is what I came up with. I also like the Smoky Mountains in Tn., so that is why "Smoky" is spelled the way it is.

Our team is myself and my dad...My dad was elected to a public office back in the 80's and during one of his campaign functions, someone played "Wooly Bully" (my last name is Wooley) so that name has kind of always stuck with me, as well as Wooleybooger and a few others- lol. About the time I decided to get into BBQ comps, my dad was voted out (fired) as County Coordinator by a 3-2 vote by our local County Commisioners. (another long story, but to make it short...it was a dirty deal :icon_pissed) So, that's when I decided on the "BBQ Mafia" part because we live in a small town and there's always been controversy about dirty politics, etc. and while my Dad was working for the local Sheriff's office back in the 90's a prominent local business man disappeared and when his vehicle was found in a remote location in the swamps of south GA there was a rumor circulating about us being in the Mafia and don't mess with us or you would end up in a swamp somewhere - lol. We still laugh about all the rumors that circulated -gotta love small town politics.:lol:

BTW- the week after my dad was fired by the county commisioners we cooked the boston butts for the county Thanksgiving luncheon...I wished I could have been there to see those commisioners faces as they were eating when someone told them who cooked the meat- you know they had to be wondering... :wink: lmao

Bad Ass Competition BBQ Team. It was a carry over from our fire department nicknames when we competed in extrication competitions.

Donkey Punch BBQ. Our first comp will be in Blue Springs in a few weeks. If anyone is there come stop by as I would love to meet some other Brethren!!

Pot's BBQ. Pot is my daughter’s nickname. We cook & do comps together and I thought it was a good name to go with.

We owe our team name to a good friend who never said the cat's meow, it was always the cat's ass. Once we learned to truly cook real BBQ from the wisdom of the guys on this site, our BBQ was the Cat's Ass and there was no doubt about it. When Rick & I were thinking of forming a competition team, Ronnelle suggested using Cat Sass BBQ because his dad (I think) had a boat with that name. We loved it and it stuck.

However, Rick and I are making a business-like decision and we are thinking of changing our team name. We have many friends and family and dedicated supporters who love our team name: Cat Sass BBQ, so this is a hard decision. Believe it or not, this name has a lot of tradition and this decision does not come lightly.

We want to continue to improve, grow, and win and here's the reality: we need sponsors to do this. We simply cannot compete more than twice a year with our given circumstances and salaries. So, we put feelers out so see how potential sponsors felt about attaching their name to Cat Sass BBQ and the response was overwhelmingly negative. So, putting emotion aside, we needed to look at this as a business decision.

Rick & I are not splitting up or restructuring. We will remain a team; we will just compete under a different name. However, Cat Sass will be present at our camp in some form.

We will have one last ride as Cat Sass at Pickin in the Panhandle in West VA on Sept 12. Wish us well.

OK, all that being said, do you all have any suggestions for our new team name? We have something in mind but we will entertain suggestions from you.

Last edited:
Back