THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W

Wine & Swine

Has anyone ever made tater tots from scratch. We are thinking of a new dish for the restaurant and I can't seem to find a basic recipe.

It's very basic...

Peel & cook potatoes, then shred... Mix in some flour, form into balls or other shape and fry. Finely minced onions are also an option.. (Would be pretty wicked with some chopped garlic and parsley and maybe some of that Col. Newsom ham you offer too too)

If desired mix in salt, pepper or other spices before frying.

What Vinny said. I tried a food processor on the spuds, but ended up using a mandolin to avoid the pulpy mess the Cuisinart created.

I never thought to add garlic, Vinny! Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to add, that if you are looking for the classic shape there some ice trays out there that are very similar in size and shape to the classic Tot. If you are interested I'll see if I can find a brand when I get home. I also pan fry some samples while I'm mixing and seasoning like I do sausage.

I never thought to add garlic, Vinny! Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to add, that if you are looking for the classic shape there some ice trays out there that are very similar in size and shape to the classic Tot. If you are interested I'll see if I can find a brand when I get home. I also pan fry some samples while I'm mixing and seasoning like I do sausage.

How would you get the potato out of the ice tray without ruining the form ?

PS - You forget that Italian Americans like me use garlic in just about everything..

A local taco chain has developed a large following for their version. They call them potatoe ole's. Dang good too. I stop in and get some whenever I get the opportunity.

Nice Vinny.

Personally though, I would go with roasted garlic over chopped.

And I bet John has already figured out where to recruit taste testers.

If you put onions and garlic on/in them, please make sure that is specified in the menu so that someone ordering them wouldn't be surprised.

It's very basic...

Peel & cook potatoes, then shred... Mix in some flour, form into balls or other shape and fry. Finely minced onions are also an option.. (Would be pretty wicked with some chopped garlic and parsley and maybe some of that Col. Newsom ham you offer too too)

If desired mix in salt, pepper or other spices before frying.

Instead of shredding them, I steam the potatoes till just before fork tender then cool them slightly. I use a deepfry basket on it's side and press the potatoes through it. That makes the potatoes into like little cubes. Then you can toss them in your own selection of spices. Form them in to logs and chill in fridge. Cut them into tot shapes and deep fry as you would any tater tot.

Hope this helps:idea:

Instead of shredding them, I steam the potatoes till just before fork tender then cool them slightly. I use a deepfry basket on it's side and press the potatoes through it. That makes the potatoes into like little cubes. Then you can toss them in your own selection of spices. Form them intop logs and chill in fridge. Cut them into tot shapes and deep fry as you would any tater tot.

Yes it does help. This thread has my interest.

Instead of shredding them, I steam the potatoes till just before fork tender then cool them slightly. I use a deepfry basket on it's side and press the potatoes through it. That makes the potatoes into like little cubes. Then you can toss them in your own selection of spices. Form them in to logs and chill in fridge. Cut them into tot shapes and deep fry as you would any tater tot.

That's really interesting! I like the cubes.

I stopped by the restaurant tonight and John was playing with some recipes.

I love the new avitar!!ahahahah, 13 is today number, one peanutbutter and jelly sandwich,ahhahhahh..very cool!!I like tater tots with a good commercial rub and a bottle or Capt. Morgan.. make me feel like a scallywagg...
Nothing you make will ever be as good as the supermarket frozen ones

I love the new avitar!!ahahahah, 13 is today number, one peanutbutter and jelly sandwich,ahhahhahh..very cool!!I like tater tots with a good commercial rub and a bottle or Capt. Morgan.. make me feel like a scallywagg...

Do gnomes eat regular tater tots or do they have special mini ones?

Do gnomes eat regular tater tots or do they have special mini ones?
of course Gnomes eat mini ones, we also drink tiny little airplane bottles of the Mr. Morgan.. We just have to drink and eat them buy the 100's rather then the dozen...go figure, a 6'+ gnome and his dietary needs.. so how you doing..are you ready to go?

Thanks for the ideas guys, played with two different batches last night. Salt crusted and roasted the potatoes but they were too done and texture was may too soft. Added some egg yolk, potato flour and seasonings (made two different batches). The idea was crab tater tots with an Old Bay dipping sauce. Folded Lump crabmeat in at the last minute and rolled like gnocchi, cut and hand formed into "tots". Tastes ok, but were too mushy and need more crab flavor. Dipping sauce was homemade mayo with lemon juice & zest, Old Bay, roasted jalapeno & black pepper.

Back