THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
We've been making Tandoori chicken for some time now, however, I was always a bit disappointed in the results as it never quite tasted like it was cooked in a tandoor. And it wasn't - I was cooking the Tandoori chicken in a kettle, which behaves very differently than clay or ceramics.

All of that changed when we got the Kamado, and the difference was very noticeable. After all, a Kamado is very similar to a tandoor, and ever since we've been cooking tandoori chicken on it, it tastes like it came from a restaurant, or better.

This time I thought it might be fun to do just wings, instead of a whole cut up chicken. Ingredients all ready to mix:

DSC_2990_zps8b1da9f4.jpg

Dry spices:

DSC_2991_zps883a825d.jpg

Once the tandoori paste was all mixed up, I thoroughly coated the wings in the mixture and let it sit all day long.

After the wings took a six hour bath, I fired up the kamado with mesquite lump:

DSC_2995_zps528db911.jpg

And on went the wings on the upper grate, away from the fire:

DSC_2998_zps9e80547c.jpg

About 20 minutes in:

DSC_3008_zps61b59a5d.jpg

Finally, I moved the wings closer to the fire and on the lower grate for the final phase of the cook:

DSC_3011_zpsfd7520f2.jpg

Served up and ready to eat:

DSC_3027_zps9220e4c9.jpg

They were really tasty!

Here's the recipe - please note that I did not skin the chicken wings, although it's advisable to skin the rest of the chicken if you're using a whole, cut up bird:

Moose’s Tandoori Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 whole young chicken (about 2-3 lbs), cut into 8 pieces, skin removed (Or 8 thighs)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 white onion, quartered
  • 4-6 whole Garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions
Using a knife, cut diagonal slices 1-inch apart, and 1/2-inch deep into the larger pieces.
Combine the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, and process in a blender or food processor on high speed to a paste. Then add the paprika, salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne, and process until well blended. Add the yogurt and lemon juice, and process to a smooth sauce, scraping down the sides to combine all the ingredients. Pour the marinade into either a baking dish or Ziploc bag over the chicken. Turn to coat evenly, rubbing the marinade into the holes and slits. Cover tightly with plastic wrap if using a baking dish, or seal the Ziploc bag, refrigerate for at least 4 hours, and up to 12 hours, turning occasionally.

The cooking process, more or less:

Remove the chicken from the marinade. Set up a charcoal grill for indirect cooking with hot coals banked to one side. If you like a smokier tasting chicken, place a chunk of hardwood over the hot coals. Place chicken on the cool side of the grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on the first side. Turn, and cook on the second side for 8 to 10 minutes. Move the chicken to the hot side, and continue cooking, turning chicken pieces every 2 mins or as needed until the chicken is cooked through, but still tender. Let chicken rest 10 mins before serving. Serve with fresh cilantro garnish and lemon slices.

Those wings look fantastic, and thanks for the recipe that I'm sure will be used shortly.

Thanks for the recipe Moose, those look great.

Not as red as the Tandoori chicken I get out here, do you think they food color the red into the chicken?

Thanks for the recipe Moose, those look great.

Not as red as the Tandoori chicken I get out here, do you think they food color the red into the chicken?

Bob, yes, most Indian restaurants I've been to use a fair bit of red food coloring in their tandoori paste, which I'd just as soon not use.

Thank you for the recipe!

What temperatures would you say the wings were cooking with the direct heat?

Thanks for putting this up Moose - I really like tandoori chix and that's usually what my kids get when we to to Indian restaurants. Looks great!

Great looking chicken! My wife is Indian and she pretty much demanded that I learn how to do Tandoori chicken once I got into grilling and smoking. My recipe is similar but my method is different. Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you guys want to try this, I would suggest an alternative process that is a little less daunting and has far less prep time and you can can still get great results.

1. Combine all your dry spices into a bowl and add your lemon or lime juice.
2. Stir it up until it clumps into a sticky paste.
3. Add a cup or so of yogurt and mix it up really well until the spices have spread throughout the yogurt. So you now have a bowl full of spicy yogurt.
4. Put your chicken on the grill/smoker completely unseasoned. Don't bother cutting slits or marinating for hours. Put them on nekkid.
5. Once on the grill, use a silicone basting brush to paint the top side of the chicken with the spiced yogurt. Each time you flip the chicken, add another coat of yogurt. You'll end up painting 3-4 layers on each side.

As the chicken cooks, the water in the yogurt evaporates and leaves behind the spices stuck to the chicken. The yogurt acts like a glue for the spices. By painting on layer after layer of spices, you will get a much more powerful flavor than hours of marinating whereby you only get 1 layer of the spiced yogurt on the chicken and very little absorption into the chicken due to the low salt content of the marinade. It also removes the marinade time, cutting slits etc. Give it a try with your favorite tandoori recipe and see what you think.

Anthropas

Back