THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King

Full Fledged Farker
Here are some tacos I made the other day. I also made some charro beans on the grill. This was really tasty. I had just enough meat left over to make a batch of tamales too, it was fantastic! This recipe would be really good for Cinco de Mayo. Thanks!

It's posted at Char Broil's blog Sizzle on the Grill.

View attachment 52289

Tacos al pastor
Prep time – 25 minutes
Cook time – 6 hours
Ingredients:
4lb boneless Boston butt, trimmed
1 medium sized onion
Yellow mustard

Marinade:
(4) Cups Pureed guajillo chilies
(2) Cups Crushed pineapple
(2) Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
(2) Cloves of garlic
(2) Tbsp White wine sherry

Rub:
(4) Tbsp Cumin
(4) Tbsp Oregano
(1) Tsp Jalapeno powder
(1) Tsp Smoked paprika
(1) Tsp White pepper
(1) Tsp Black pepper
(1) Tsp Salt

Instructions:
1. Slather pork with mustard and place in zip-lock storage bag, marinate overnight. About an hour before you begin cooking the meat, remove from the cooler and bag and Wipe mustard off with paper towels, apply dry rub (save at least (2) tbsp for the marinade) and tent or cover lightly while you set up your grill or smoker for indirect heat with a target temperature in the cooking chamber of 250F degrees. Add chunks or smoker box filled with dry apple wood chips and cook the pork until 160F degrees internal temp

2. While the pork is cooking, blend the marinade ingredients and the rest of the rub in a blender until smooth. Pour the marinade through a mesh colander or kitchen sieve to filter out large particles. Slice the onion and arrange slices in the bottom of a foil pan. When pork reaches internal temp, place it in foil pan and pour the marinade over the pork. Cover the foil pan with a sheet of foil.

3. Add more fuel to Increase grill temp to 350 degrees, place foil pan on the grates but not over direct heat and close the hood – Cook the pork until at least 190F degrees internal temp or until tender. Remove pan and pork from grates and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes or until it’s cool enough to handle. Use our hands topPull pork into chunks and mix well with the marinade from the pan. Serve with diced onion, cilantro and sliced radishes on doubled layered corn tortillas with cerveza to wash it down!

Charro Beans:
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – Stove: 2 hours, Grill: 1 hour

Ingredients:
(3) Cups of dried pinto beans
(4) Roma tomatoes
(1/2) Medium sweet onion, diced
(1/2) Green pepper, diced
>(1/4) cup chopped cilantro
(1) Jalapeno, veins and seeds removed, diced
(2) Cloves of garlic, chopped
(6) Slices of cooked bacon, chopped
1 Beef bouillon cube
Cerveza

Instructions:
1. Use the stove to boil a large pot the water on high heat, put in the beans, turn the heat down to medium. Cook beans until they are almost soft, then drain. Add the beans, prepared vegetables and bacon in a foil pan

2. Set up the grill for direct heat grilling at 375F degrees and place foil pan on the grill. Add cerveza to cover the beans, add the bouillon cube too – mixing occasionally and adding cerveza when necessary to keep beans from drying out. Cook the beans until tender and the liquid is almost gone.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...I remember a while back someone was looking for tacos al pastor using smoked pork. I should be be thanking the Brethren for always inspiring and challenging me.

I'd so hit that!! I like to just drink the marinade by itself. It sounds fantastic. Some staples in my Rancheros are chorizo, bacon, and chopped franks and or baloney or some type of lunch meat. Another great addition is pork rinds. Just regular store bought kind. Crumble em and toss em in to soften. The beans are a meal on their own.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob

SO weird that you posted this. Yesterday for lunch i had burrito al pastor for the first time ever for lunch. good eats

I'd so hit that!! I like to just drink the marinade by itself. It sounds fantastic. Some staples in my Rancheros are chorizo, bacon, and chopped franks and or baloney or some type of lunch meat. Another great addition is pork rinds. Just regular store bought kind. Crumble em and toss em in to soften. The beans are a meal on their own.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob

Orale! Those sound like monster Rancheros, got me all hungry!!!

Thanks BB!

My all time favorite tacos.

Here's a great pic of al pastor.

3744475815_13d1976e61.jpg

p.s. The origin is a great culinary story

Al Pastor is one of my favorites but for some reason I have never attempted it. Thanks for sharing the recipe I will be trying this :thumb:

Back