Supermarket BBQ Sauce

It's been years (literally) since I've bought a supermarket bbq sauce. I just find that most have an "unbalanced" taste profile and I have to end up tinkering with it when I get home which defeats the purpose of purchasing the sauce to begin with. So if I'm Q'n something I need sauce on I make my own.

I've tasted SBR's, Stubbs, Cattlemen's, Sticky Fingers etc when we've eaten at other people's homes. Either they are overly sweet for my taste or do not have the range of flavors I prefer.

Blues Hog or Firebug Grilling Sauce for me, but I live in the KC area. We tend to have a bigger selection than most for both rubs and sauces in the grocery store.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Blues Hog Original
Blues Hog Tennessee Red

(not necessarily in that order)

Otherwise, NOT, NADA, not going to happen. I've tried most of those in the pictures and listed above. Almost all have smoke flavorings in them, and I dont go for that.

Blues Hog Original
Blues Hog Tennessee Red

(not necessarily in that order)

Otherwise, NOT, NADA, not going to happen. I've tried most of those in the pictures and listed above. Almost all have smoke flavorings in them, and I dont go for that.

Same here. If I can taste liquid smoke I'm done. And a vast majority of mass produced sauces have liquid smoke in them. I don't want sauce competing with "my meat". :becky:

To me a good sauce enhances the flavor of the meat not take it over.

If I buy off the shelf; which is rarely since I make 3 varieties of sauce that I always have on hand; I buy Montgomery Inn. I am surprised to see several Michigan folks that have access to it. I can get it since I am within 15 minutes of one of the restaurants and within half an hour of the other two.

Blues Hog or Firebug Grilling Sauce for me, but I live in the KC area. We tend to have a bigger selection than most for both rubs and sauces in the grocery store.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Oh, Hy-Vee, how I miss thee! Seriously, since moving from Kansas to Minnesota I do miss the Hy-Vee grocery stores.

When you reach for the BBQ at the supermarket, what do you choose?

Most times I make my own sauce - here's the recipe if you'd like to give it a try. When I'm lazy I use Woody's Cook-in Sauce and mix one bottle with one can of Coke.

frohe's Kick Ass Texas BBQ Sauce :icon_blush:

1 quart v8 juice
1 quart beef stock; de-greased
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup dark molasses
1/3 cup black pepper
1/3 cup hungarian sweet paprika
1/4 cup yellow onion; minced
1 bottle worcestershire sauce
1 cup chilies; you decide how hot
1/2 cup garlic; pressed

The key to the amount of heat is the chilies and how many you use. I usually make up 3 batches; one for the gringo bellies, a medium hot one made with jalapenos or Serrano, and a hot one made with habaneras. Mix together V8 juice and beef stock. Then add mustard, cider, molasses, black pepper and paprika as you stir the sauce. Put mixture on stove to simmer. After 1/2 hour, add Worcestershire sauce, minced yellow onion, chilies, and garlic. Let the sauce simmer for about 2 hours in your smoker to pick up the good smoke taste. Stir and taste often as it simmers. After about three hours total simmering time, taste and add some salt if needed. You can put it in a blender to smooth it out. Let the sauce cool and put it in a gallon jug and let age at least a week in the refrigerator before using.

Serve on the side with brisket, ribs, chicken or over steak.

I make my own, but when I need to throw some into my Brunswick Stew recipe, I use the cheap stuff. For that I like Chris & Pitts.

I agree some of those store brand are pretty good. What suprise me was Save_A -Lot have a good sauce and cheap

I used to buy Bull's Eye a lot, but have been enjoying the house brand sauce from the supermarket I mostly use - Sobey's, "Compliments" brand for other Canadian/Ontario brethren. Their Kansas City style is pretty good and I usually add a bit of cider vinegar to cut some of the sugar. There's a Lime Habanero Tequila they do as well that's tasty with a little more heat. Some of the Loblaw's sauce is OK too.
I've tried Sweet Baby Ray's, but find it kind of dull - Iwas surprised because I'd heard very good things about it.

Back