Sunday's cook--Ribs, Short Ribs, Brisket and Wangs

I'm interested in knowing what temp you cooked at and the timing of all that! I'm still learning how to space different meats out that may want different temps. Let me know how you handled all that if you don't mind. Thanks!

My temp was 275* throughout the cook. About every 30-45 mins I added a fist size split which brought the temp to 300* then gradually back down to 275*. As soon as it dropped to 274* on the thermo I threw in another stick. That was my pattern. Still learning the pit but this seems to work for me for now.

Total cook time was about 4 1/2 hours total:

Brisket, short ribs and spares went in at 1300

Potatoes went in at 1400

Wrapped the brisket and short ribs when IT was 160* at 1545

Wings were put in at 1545 (since they cook faster than the rest)

Everything came off at 1730 (brisket and short ribs were 190*+ and probe tender)

My party showed up late at 1830 at which time I sliced the brisket after an hour rest and served everything then.

I just needed to put the brisket in an hour early to have it rest an least an hour but my guests being late compenasated that hour loss.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there an advantage of using butcher paper over aluminum foil or are they for different uses on the smoker? Fantastic spread by the way.

Butcher paper allows the brisket to breathe and doesn't steam the meat as much as foiling does. At least that is my understanding. I bought BP, but haven't done a brisket with it yet.

SF, that's his Lone Star Grillz Vertical Offset. Here's a pic I stole from him as mine will look similar. He has a thread with a LOT more pictures.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 39
Forgive my ignorance, but is there an advantage of using butcher paper over aluminum foil or are they for different uses on the smoker? Fantastic spread by the way.

Butcher paper allows the brisket to breathe and doesn't steam the meat as much as foiling does. At least that is my understanding. I bought BP, but haven't done a brisket with it yet.

Pretty much what Terry said. The meat doesn't get steamed.

Great looking cook!
Thats the way to do it.
What smoker is that? Could you post a photo of the whole smoker? :mrgreen:

Thanks Ray! It's my vertical offset from LSG. Terry already posted the pic. :thumb:

SF, that's his Lone Star Grillz Vertical Offset. Here's a pic I stole from him as mine will look similar. He has a thread with a LOT more pictures.

Thanks Bud!!

Thanks guys!!!

Missed the forum since I haven't really been on for a few days. Damn work.:mrgreen:

I hate when that four letter word gets in the way of what we love....

Thanks Ray! It's my vertical offset from LSG. Terry already posted the pic. :thumb:

Looked at your introductory thread. Thats a beautiful stick burner!
Im amazed at all the space you have with the way they made the shelving.

Guess I'm not the only one Greg has gotten hooked on stick burners.

Back