THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Howdy all! I've been unable to get time to do much with the smoker in a while. Today was the day to address that! It was a beautiful day in the burbs of Baltimore. So, I fired up the cooker and got to work.

Scored a chuckie at BJs:

Trimmed, then applied Simply Marvelous rub:

Since the rub was out, why not do a fattie??

Dusty chuckie:

Dusty fattie:

Cooker up to temp:

Yes, it's been a while since I've used the cooker:

While chuckie cooking, got some onion, garlic and hot pepper rings in a pan:

After smoking till ~ 160, got the chuckie into the pan and added some beef broth:

Also made some red sauce and meatballs while chuck was cooking:

Chuckie is done!

Fatties are done!

Chuckie, sliced:

Inspired by Wolf, I tried some dusted chicken wrapped in bacon:

Oh, and I did a couple smoked meatloaves:

CLOINKs are done!

All in all, it was a good day. Freezer is stocked, neighbors got a visit from the Meat Fairy, and I'm feeling pretty full and pretty good.

Thanks for looking!

Bruce

Thanks Jeannie! It was. Fattie was done in time for breakfast, so, that was breakfast (with some scrambled eggs). I HAD to try the chuckie while packaging it up. De-lish! :clap: What a lovely lunch! Am very much looking forward to lunch tomorrow as well.

The Missus doesn't do Q, but she does love pasta and red sauce. She was very enthusiastic about the indoor cook (she cooked up some pasta for lunch to do some QA/QC on the sauce).

Had the CLOINKs for dinner, sort of unintentionally. I tried a few, which turned into a few more, then another couple.

Haven't tried the meat loaf yet. That's happening tomorrow for dinner. I think. :cool:

Bruce

I am in the same boat. Been re-doing a brick fireplace all summer (more of a DIY project than I'd originally bargained for -- that brick didn't look all that bad after all). And now that I'm almost done with that, looking forward to filling my freezer one weekend too.

The looks of your food is giving me inspiration!

Lunch: chuckie, some fresh broccoli, and bacon wrapped chicken. YUM!!

BTW: Kept checking the chuckie, but it never got to the probe tender, falling apart point. Finally pulled it at 210 degrees because I just couldn't let it cook longer! It's good and it's tender, but just hadn't gotten to the point where it could be easily pulled apart. Now enjoying the slices and the braising liquid.

Bruce

Wow, looks like it was a fun day.

When you put the chuckie in the pan, did you wrap it in foil? The top looks dry, so it made me think you just set it on top of the veggies. Foil on top would allow it to braise or steam. Also, what temps did you use? Wolfe Pit's PSB's turn fork tender in about 6 hours for me and I smoke around 270* and then finish at 350*.

@THoey1963: Smoked the chuckie bare (well...covered in rub) on a Frog mat till ~160, then placed in foil pan with groceries and beef broth, then sealed with HD foil. I didn't want to pour the broth over the meat because I wanted to keep the rub on the meat as much as possible. I used ~ half a quart carton of broth (~ 16 ounces). Used beef broth because I just can't bring myself to use good beer as braising liquid. :tongue: Finally pulled from the cooker at 210 because I didn't want it to overcook. I left it in the pan, still covered in foil, till temps dropped to ~ 175-180.

Cooked at temps of ~ 270 initially, then boosted to ~ 325 (going by the door thermometer...didn't have an accurate probe in the cooker for this cook :doh:) after wrapping in foil. Total cooking time was ~ 8 hours...probably ~5 hours at 270 and ~3 hours at 325 with a 1.5 hour rest. Wasn't keeping track of the time...just watching the thermometer and then checking the feel once it got to ~ 200.

Top part that you see in the pic had a good coating of rub. Wasn't burned, wasn't dry. It was delicious! Almost like good brisket bark. When I started the cook, I was expecting to shred...ended up slicing instead. Was amazed that it wasn't quite ready to give up, even at 210!! No worries...tasted great.

Bruce

Back