THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In the event y'all get a desire the Google search button at the bottom of the page returns close to 8000 hits in 0.27 seconds just to compare answers current and past.

I consider myself a cook. Watch the PBS series BBQ with Franklin where he interviews the great Pitmasters of Texas. Read Texas Monthly BBQ series's. these people honed their craft 6-7 days a week year round. Not just years, but generations. They earned it. I've hit a few places in KC with more history than seems attainable with their Pitmasters and Pits.
the Carolinas-Coastal states regional etc. there are a few what I consider Pitmasters. cowgirl comes to mind with her open pit fire management skills with a tractor rim. Hell, I burned myself three times in a two day pizza binge. I'm more like a fetch than a cook with pizza.

I also consider good cooks with offsets potential "Pitmasters"

Last edited:
I think you need to have to have a fancy bowling type of shirt (but for BBQ) and have your name on it and a BBQ logo of some type on it.

My friends call me Pitmaster..... But I heard you have to turn out great Que in all kinds of weather. And all kinds of meats. Summer I can only turn out good Que. But when the temp dips below 20..... I turn out great que......
Like on this day......

Till I master summer queing just a cook..... Lol....

Attachments

I guess I am the only one who thinks of a pit master as a master of all pits. Meaning whatever they cook on where ever they do it they turn out great food.

Sort of like in racing. You have guys who can run just NASCAR but can't do squat on dirt. Then like Stewart and Kahne can win anything they race. They are the pit masters of racing in my mind

I think you need to have to have a fancy bowling type of shirt (but for BBQ) and have your name on it and a BBQ logo of some type on it.

Ha, I love it! Have a buddy that does our offshore fishing team shirts every year. Think he's gonna get a bbq shirt order coming his way!

Have a buddy that does our offshore fishing team shirts every year.

Is that a Yellowfin in your siggy? Awesome boats man.....

Regarding the topic at hand....to me a pitmaster is nothing more than someone who cooks using their pit...or anyone else's. I see it as a designation similar to cook or chef. On the other hand.....pit MASTER to me is someone that's mastered cooking on a pit. I don't think I'll ever master it since I learn something new almost every cook I do.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the truly pressing question is whether one is considered to be a "pit master" or a "pitmaster."

that's a tough one. i wouldn't seriously call myself one. it's almost like something other people call you out of respect for what they have seen you do. that being said in my opinion it is someone that can cook on anything. hard to call yourself a pit master if all you have ever cooked on is 1 type of cooker.

that's a tough one. i wouldn't seriously call myself one. it's almost like something other people call you out of respect for what they have seen you do. that being said in my opinion it is someone that can cook on anything. hard to call yourself a pit master if all you have ever cooked on is 1 type of cooker.

Based on my cookers I will never be a Pitmaster as I don't actively manage the fires. I don't use electronics, and everything is pretty much set and forget. Learning curve for starting and maintaining a fire in my cookers is one cook.

Based on my cookers I will never be a Pitmaster as I don't actively manage the fires. I don't use electronics, and everything is pretty much set and forget. Learning curve for starting and maintaining a fire in my cookers is one cook.

i know at some point you ran and mastered a stick burner...

i know at some point you ran and mastered a stick burner...

Not a good one, but I did have one. A New Braunfels Black Diamond. A good thick steeled one. Lazy I guess. When my bride bought me The Primo and I acquired the PBC- it was more fun to drink beer-Spotify-and cook than manage a fire. I'll get another stick burner someday- I still think nothing screams BBQ more than a smoking offset.

I think it's all relative. To my friends and others at the bar, where a lot of my food goes, I am a Chef and a Pitmaster. I have a buddy that has been doing Q since birth it seems, and I would call him a Pitmaster and me a PIT (Pitmaster in Training). Expand out another level, and guy's and gal's like Franklin and that sweet old lady at Snows (I think), they are Pitmaster's, my buddy is a PIT, and I am just some guy that makes BBQ and gives it to a bunch of drunks who like it.

I think it's all relative. To my friends and others at the bar where a lot of my food goes, I am a Chef and a Pitmaster. I have a buddy that has been doing Q since birth it seems, and I would call him a Pitmaster and me a PIT (Pitmaster in Training). Expand out another level, and guy's and gal's like Franklin and that sweet old lady at Snows (I think), they are Pitmaster's, my buddy is a PIT, and I am just some guy that makes BBQ and gives it to a bunch of drunks who like it.

we shall call you Drunken Pit Master. :heh:

Back