THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DevineSwine

Full Fledged Farker
God is my witness i hate brisket questions, and here I am. Ive sworn myself off doing briskets because they are a PITA and just to damn labor intensive for the more often than not lack luster return ya get after hrs of cookin. And here I am.
So the price sucked me in, 3.99 a pound for full packer Angus, what grade i couldnt tell ya but knowing Meijer probably select but maybe choice. My question is the following. Do i need to pump it full of liquid for a good end result. Ive done several but its been so long i honestly cant remember what the hell i did. I have a PrimoXl that i have yet to put a brisket on and ive never cooked a brisket on lump. Ive had the Primo a few years now and consider myself quite fluent with the unit and lump now. I will be using Rockwood lump. I will do SPG rub and trim the hell out of it because the last one i trimmed i know i did that and it turned out the best of the bad ones i did...lol.I do have paper so at some point i will wrap it when i get fed up with the stall an i will cook it fat down.
So questions for the group 1. Inject, do it or not needed and if so inject with what..?
2. What Temp should i target, I try to run it 275 is this to hot...?
Thanks everyone for your input and time...

I have never injected a brisket. Have done quite a few briskets cause I'm an old phart who lives in Texas.

Bludawg's Method is a fast, easy recipe for excellent brisket. Life got crazy for him so he's not on here presently but is definitely missed.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

1. No need to inject. Brisket should taste like beef.
2. Smoke around 225*-250* until your reach 170* IT.
Wrap and continue on smoker until IT is 205*
Pull from heat and let rest.

1. No need to inject it, i'd stick to your simple rub
2. I would probably start out at 250 and check it an hour or two in. I think 250 is right in the middle and you can bump the temp up or down depending how the meat is cooking.

One last thing give it a good long rest. I think this makes a huge difference in the final product.

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything less than prime. I started trying briskets about 3 years ago, doing once a week for my family as I learned. I went though a bunch of Costco primes, some turned out like shoe soles, some turned out better than anything I could find in restaurants. Then I "graduated" to Creekstone and SRF and everything changed. The margin for error is a lot wider with quality meats, and you don't have to do anything to it to make it taste amazing. It was clear, the meat quality limits the outcome, no questions imo.
I'm sure some will disagree and say you can get "great" results with whatever meat grade, that's fine. I'm just sayin, you are already setting yourself back by using Choice, and if it's Select, I really fear for you :) .

I have a Primo XL oval with heat deflectors plates and control temp using a PartyQ device using lump charcoal with hardwood chunks. I have cooked brisket at 225-250 and paper wrapped when Bark was acceptable until done per tenderness checking. That said, bark on the Primo has never been as satisfying as I'd prefer but otherwise the end result in terms of texture/flavor has been excellent. If I had a cheap/easy source of wood, I'd love a stick burner but I have been very happy with my Primo.

Cook temps can vary as with how much time you're willing to invest. Wrap when the bark is nice. Pull only when you're probe tender, no matter what the temp is. Pretty simple, huh.

I agree with Frognot.

Bludawg's method is great for beginners and intermediates alike.

Don't overthink the process, keep it simple, cook until probe tender (jiggles); not to a specific temperature.

Everyone's tastes are different. What one person enjoys will not necessarily be enjoyed by everyone. With that said, I typically do inject. My injection is always beef broth, worcestershire sauce. I simmer the liquid on the stovetop for about 30 minutes with 3 or 4 cloves of garlic in it.

Like I said before, everyone has different tastes. You just have to find the best method and rubs that satisfy you.

I did my first couple weeks ago.
I got away with the cook even though I ran 300deg when I wanted 275deg.
It cooked faster than I planned and got a good long rest because of the extra time.

I think a good trim, easy on the seasoning, and clean smoke and it will be fine.

Only Labor Intensive thing about Brisket is trying to get up from the couch after 3-4 brisket sammiches ............. :loco:

275* is The Best BBQ Temp for All things (except chicken) - although I usually run 300-325*.

I don't inject.

There are some people (Weirdos) that just don't like brisket much no matter how Good the brisket is.

Last edited:
I only inject when doing the BluDawg method. It's a fantastic way of cooking them, but not something I do every cook. I made a little video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-QEP7LtQFk

That's NOT the Bludawg method I know of............ there must be 2 - a Bludawg and a BluDawg .?

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169985

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223280&page=3

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198081

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

If I were to follow this method, but wrap in foil instead of butcher paper, would anythign else change?

Yes most definitely you would have a nice braised pot roast tastin piece of beef. Instead of a Barky Moist Smoky BBQ Brisket.
Since I don't nor have I ever nor will I ever do the former ( however I have eaten some) in my life I can only offer you this for comparison.....

DSCF0085.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

I hope this helped to clarify the issue for ya:biggrin1:

Last edited:
I find the best results in the Primo starting at a lower temp around 225 for the first hour or so. I then let it slowly creep up to 275 over the next 2-3 hours. I find that by letting it creep up you reduce some of the stale smoke flavor you can sometimes get from a kamado.

Back